Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Did I say anywhere that I accepted their case, curtly or not? No. What I did say was, Seeing it is given good reviews by well-qualified scientists, it must be worth investigating.

And that worth while investigation didn't stretch to actually reading the article which explains quite simply why this is nonsense?
    Does that make me more open to conspiracy theories than most? Probably. But I apply my rule to the conspiracy theorists as well, so I'm not that gullible.

But not to your own religion beliefs which is where the problem stems from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Did I say anywhere that I accepted their case, curtly or not? No. What I did say was, Seeing it is given good reviews by well-qualified scientists, it must be worth investigating.

And that worth while investigation didn't stretch to actually reading the article which explains quite simply why this is nonsense?
    I wish to take some time over it and the article, rather than just accepting the assurances of the establishment guys.
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Does that make me more open to conspiracy theories than most? Probably. But I apply my rule to the conspiracy theorists as well, so I'm not that gullible.

I have received infallible proof of the gospel, so I don't need to keep a skeptical eye on it.
    1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

I have received infallible proof of the gospel, so I don't need to keep a skeptical eye on it.

Infallible proof in your judgement. Judgement that is fallible. See the problem there?

Wicknight wrote: »
    Infallible proof in your judgement. Judgement that is fallible. See the problem there?
    That would rule out all reality as knowable - your reading this, for example. Yet we all work on, and survive daily, in recognising reality.

My knowledge of God's revelation is as certain for me as the fact I am typing this post. Real spiritual tests can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

That would rule out all reality as knowable - your reading this, for example. Yet we all work on, and survive daily, in recognising reality.

Unless there were some way of ruling out personal judgment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

My knowledge of God's revelation is as certain for me as the fact I am typing this post. Real spiritual tests can be made.

Yes and no. Nothing in reality is ever known to be 100% certain. Nothing. Not even the fact that you wrote that post. It's entirely possible that you didn't write it at all. The point is that there is strong evidence that you did, i.e. the post is there, you said you wrote it etc.

Let me put it this way: A person with a mental disorder may well believe something that is not real. But to him, it seems as if it is absolutely real. That does not mean that it is.

Improbable wrote: »
    Yes and no. Nothing in reality is ever known to be 100% certain. Nothing. Not even the fact that you wrote that post. It's entirely possible that you didn't write it at all. The point is that there is strong evidence that you did, i.e. the post is there, you said you wrote it etc.

Let me put it this way: A person with a mental disorder may well believe something that is not real. But to him, it seems as if it is absolutely real. That does not mean that it is.
    God gives to His people not only inward assurance, but supporting evidence by way of answered prayer.

These are convincing proofs of the reality we profess. We don't need to allow for the chance it is unreal, any more than a sensible person questions any part of daily life that has the evidences you list. Am I driving my car, with my wife and daughter on board? Have I been touring the Kinnego Marina and am now heading home? Or is it a dream I can't break out off?

I'd better dispense with the Nothing in reality is ever known to be 100% certain. Nothing. mentality and behave as if it was real. Otherwise the emergency services will be prising me out of the wreck, with me still wondering if it is all a dream.

God gives to His people not only inward assurance, but supporting evidence by way of answered prayer.

These are convincing proofs of the reality we profess. We don't need to allow for the chance it is unreal, any more than a sensible person questions any part of daily life that has the evidences you list. Am I driving my car, with my wife and daughter on board? Have I been touring the Kinnego Marina and am now heading home? Or is it a dream I can't break out off?

I'd better dispense with the Nothing in reality is ever known to be 100% certain. Nothing. mentality and behave as if it was real. Otherwise the emergency services will be prising me out of the wreck, with me still wondering if it is all a dream.

What you call answered prayer, I call self delusion. I could pray to the wild Ququ god that I do well on a test and hey, presto, it happens. Doesn't mean that the Ququ god did it. There is no reason to believe that your god is any more valid than that.

You can certainly choose to believe whatever you wish, but nothing is 100% certain. It defies all logic and reason to think that it is.

I don't actively sit around pondering my existence, especially in a danger situation, to do so would be foolish. There is nothing wrong with uncertainty. It's quite alright to have doubts and questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Leave the pagans to their delusions dude, just walk away from the pagans...

Improbable wrote: »
    What you call answered prayer, I call self delusion. I could pray to the wild Ququ god that I do well on a test and hey, presto, it happens. Doesn't mean that the Ququ god did it. There is no reason to believe that your god is any more valid than that.

You can certainly choose to believe whatever you wish, but nothing is 100% certain. It defies all logic and reason to think that it is.

I don't actively sit around pondering my existence, especially in a danger situation, to do so would be foolish. There is nothing wrong with uncertainty. It's quite alright to have doubts and questions.
    Your idea of answered prayer would certainly convince only a fool. But I mean something quite more significant, because quite more unnatural. Specific needs met specifically - one could write them off as marvellous coincidences, but only a fool would allow for several such answers in one's experience.
    Well, OK, as long as you're not certain about that. :D

• Advertisement

Your idea of answered prayer would certainly convince only a fool. But I mean something quite more significant, because quite more unnatural. Specific needs met specifically - one could write them off as marvellous coincidences, but only a fool would allow for several such answers in one's experience.

So what would you consider to be more significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Don't ask me why but I posted this in the wrong thread :(

Apologies, carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

:eek: What am I doing in this thread??????

ABORT ABORT!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

:eek: What am I doing in this thread??????

ABORT ABORT!!! :(

Mission Failed.

That would rule out all reality as knowable

It would rule out knowledge as infallible, ie the idea that you can not be wrong about something. It then becomes a question of how you support your beliefs. I feel what I believe is infallible is, needless to say, not a particularly good way to support ones beliefs.

If you want to do that go ahead, but to then turn around and criticize scientists, going as far as to suppose vast materialist conspiracies to explain why you are still right and they are all wrong, is silly. A far more likely explanation is that are mistaken in what you feel. People make mistakes all the time, to think this doesn't apply to you is rather arrogant.
    Yet we all work on, and survive daily, in recognising reality.

And we are wrong hundreds of thousands of times a day, from the time the milk expires to Netwons laws of motion.

To simply decide that you cannot be wrong about something because you feel you can't be and then ignore all evidence or scientific theory that you are is a bizarre case of arrogance, which is ironic since arrogance is the charge you level at scientists who back up their beliefs with scientific models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Helloha everybody. Nearly back to normal after my operation. Getting stronger by the day and today I feel well enough to be able to start posting again. Very rough last two weeks but more or less over it now and thanks to all for your get well wishes.

OK where did we leave off from last time? Ah yes, Morbert and I were discussing how life came about. How could I forget? :)
    Morbert wrote: »
    But ask yourself why scientists are not saying the hardware DOS is run on, let alone DOS itself, could develop by chance. The spontaneous generation of even a simple MOSFET is far too improbable. So instead, we have to look at the differences between the 'hardware' of biology (organic compounds), and the hardware of artificial computers (semiconductor material, plastic, etc.). When we do this, we will understand why natural abiogenesis is plausible for life, but not for standard computers. Organic chemicals are far more versatile when it comes to self-organisation than the materials we use to build things. They can naturally form complex ecosystems of interacting and communicating molecular species.

So before we begin, let's be clear that scientists are proposing that a spontaneous formation was necessary in the beginning, as chemicals per se do not evolve. The question we must therefore ask is what probabilities are associated with this spontaneous formation. If it as improbable as, say, the spontaneous generation of DNA, or MOSFETs for DOS programs, then abiogenesis will be considered implausible. If it is much much more probable, then abiogenesis is plausible.

Key phrase emboldened above. This is the crux of the whole argument. At this particular juncture we are presented with two plausible causes for the generation of the first self replicating system, be that RNA or DNA, both of which contain the instructions for building the various components in the cell and in turn the instructions for what type of tissue the cells are to be made into and in turn what function that tissue is supposed to perform within the various organs that the organism (i.e. ant, mouse, man etc) as a whole cannot function properly without.

So if the the process which brought about the first self replicating system was the result of chance, then what must have happened is akin to the chance assemblage of say; a sonnet of Shakespeare (I'm being liberal), just by throwing scrabble letters onto a table and expecting it to come out. That is what the chance hypothesis is, there is no escaping that.

So the only way that such a configuration could have come about by chance is to have enough time to be able to have enough throws of the scrabble letters that at some point it will come out. Now ask yourself; how long do you think you would have to randomly throw scrabble letters onto a table in order to at some point have the fallen letters read out just one of Shakespeare's sonnets? I use his sonnets because they are small in comparison to his plays, because even the most basic cellular life has billions of lines of code that need to be arrange into a particular sequence else you don't have proper function.

Now I'm not against anyone using the chance hypothesis as a basis to then go on an do good science, what I'm against is chance proponents saying that any conflicting theory is not science by virtue of the fact that it contradicts the chance hypothesis. That approach and attitude IMO is more non-scientific than anything.
    There are two issues here. One issue is the development of self-replicating systems with high-fidelity, and the other is the development of the information stored by these systems to produce instruction sets for building cells and eyes and brains. For the time being, let's focus on the former. I.e. How self-replicating systems can form. Afterwards, we can talk about how natural selection can generate an increase in biological information, and thus generate complex lifeforms.

Chance is relevant. I was referring to the calculations of the probabilities of certain nucleotide sequences forming by chance. I.e. No scientists is claiming life is as lucky as a 1 in 10^130 shot. If the spontaneous generation of the first self-replicating system was as probable as, say, 1 in 10^12 (and not 1 in 10^130), would you have the same objection to abiogenesis?

I don't have any objection to anyone holding to the view that life arose by chance from nonliving matter in the very early history of the primordial earth. That is a position that one takes or doesn't take. But why can't the same compliment be returned to scientists who simply disagree with this hypothesis? The chance hypothesis cannot be tested in nature given that life has already arisen. And it can't be simulated in the lab either because the lab is an environment which is intelligently designed to bring about a desired outcome. So the chance hypothesis is as unfalsifiable as the God did it hypothesis is. So that being the case why is it OK scientifically to hold to the chance hypothesis but not OK scientifically to hold to ID theory? :confused:
    At this point, as we need to understand the laws of chemistry that determine what the chances of a self-replicating system forming are.

The first principle we must understand is autocatalysis. Autocatalysis occurs when the result (product) of a chemical reaction causes the reaction to speed up. I.e. A reaction increases the rate of itself. Or, in otherwords, a molecule instigates the further production of itself. This is a result of the laws of chemistry, and so is not a chance occurence in any meaningful sense of the word.

OK, so at this point necessity as apposed to chance is running the show?
    Now consider a set of autocatalytic chemicals in the same environment, with limited reactant resources. Some autocatalytic chemicals are better at sparking the production of themselves than others, then those chemicals will grow more numerous, and become more dominant. Autocatalysis will propagate.

So we're still at the stage of simple natural chemical reactions goverened by the laws of chemistry? Fine.
    Autocatalysis on its own is not enough to be considered life, however, as autocatalyric cycles can't recognise information. I.e. They can't pass on information to their 'offspring' and natural selection can't choose which information should propagate and which shouldn't.

So we are still talking about the time when Natural Selction does not apply yet?
    For that, we need to turn to the non-enzyme self-replicating systems related to autocatalysis, which have been known since 1986 (in the form of a palindromic hexanucleotide sequence). Such systems heavily employ catalytic processes, and would constitute the "chance event" that must ocur for life to begin to emerge.

I Googled palindromic hexanucleotide sequence but cannot find anything in layman's terms, could you perhaps break what it is/means down for us please?
    Do you have any objections to this so far?

Hell no, please go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi Soul Winner, glad to hear it :) and welcome back! looking forward to reading through...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Has anyone read the lolcat bible. link
    Ive just looked at a couple of new testament books so far, but so far its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Key phrase emboldened above. This is the crux of the whole argument. At this particular juncture we are presented with two plausible causes for the generation of the first self replicating system, be that RNA or DNA, both of which contain the instructions for building the various components in the cell and in turn the instructions for what type of tissue the cells are to be made into and in turn what function that tissue is supposed to perform within the various organs that the organism (i.e. ant, mouse, man etc) as a whole cannot function properly without.

So if the the process which brought about the first self replicating system was the result of chance, then what must have happened is akin to the chance assemblage of say; a sonnet of Shakespeare (I'm being liberal), just by throwing scrabble letters onto a table and expecting it to come out. That is what the chance hypothesis is, there is no escaping that.

So the only way that such a configuration could have come about by chance is to have enough time to be able to have enough throws of the scrabble letters that at some point it will come out. Now ask yourself; how long do you think you would have to randomly throw scrabble letters onto a table in order to at some point have the fallen letters read out just one of Shakespeare's sonnets? I use his sonnets because they are small in comparison to his plays, because even the most basic cellular life has billions of lines of code that need to be arrange into a particular sequence else you don't have proper function.

Now I'm not against anyone using the chance hypothesis as a basis to then go on an do good science, what I'm against is chance proponents saying that any conflicting theory is not science by virtue of the fact that it contradicts the chance hypothesis. That approach and attitude IMO is more non-scientific than anything.

I don't have any objection to anyone holding to the view that life arose by chance from nonliving matter in the very early history of the primordial earth. That is a position that one takes or doesn't take. But why can't the same compliment be returned to scientists who simply disagree with this hypothesis? The chance hypothesis cannot be tested in nature given that life has already arisen. And it can't be simulated in the lab either because the lab is an environment which is intelligently designed to bring about a desired outcome. So the chance hypothesis is as unfalsifiable as the God did it hypothesis is. So that being the case why is it OK scientifically to hold to the chance hypothesis but not OK scientifically to hold to ID theory? :confused:

Hmmm... Is it your position that any self-replicating system is too improbable to have arisen by chance? Or do you believe it is not too improbable, but that it was directly and intelligently designed anyway. I was under the impression that it was the former but perhaps it's the latter.

The issue most people have with ID proponents is they are claiming life is too improbable to have arisen naturally. If someone wants to believe that life is intelligently designed then they can go right ahead. But if they assert that abiogenesis is too improbable then that is where they are going astray.

If your position is the latter then there won't be much need to go into probability.

That is not what they are saying Soul Winner.

ID is untestable. You cannot tell if something is designed by a supernatural being because we have no idea that that looks like. We can make wild guesses, but that isn't the same thing. We can say we don't know how this can arise naturally but that isn't the same thing.

You can tell if self replicating molecules can arise naturally given circumstances similar to the early Earth (they can)
    I don't have any objection to anyone holding to the view that life arose by chance from nonliving matter in the very early history of the primordial earth. That is a position that one takes or doesn't take. But why can't the same compliment be returned to scientists who simply disagree with this hypothesis? The chance hypothesis cannot be tested in nature given that life has already arisen.
    It can be tested and is tested all the time.
    And it can't be simulated in the lab either because the lab is an environment which is intelligently designed to bring about a desired outcome.

That is just silly.

Because it happens in a lab set up by humans does not mean it can't be tested scientifically, any more than saying you can't test gravity if you do it in a padded room with a ball made by NASA.

If you rule out things that are tested in a lab you have ruled out most of physics and nearly all chemistry as being "unscientific". Can you show me a significant scientific discovery in chemistry in the last 200 years that didn't take place in a lab?

You are ruling things out because they don't fit with your dogma, not because they are actually at fault. This is just what the Creationists do, but you should really know better.

• Advertisement

On another tangentially related note, They found another Goldilocks planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

interesting!!

Odd considering they are so rare they must be created by God :D

They have only been looking for a few years, only found 500, and they have already found one. Doesn't bode well for the fine tuned idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Odd considering they are so rare they must be created by God :D

They have only been looking for a few years, only found 500, and they have already found one. Doesn't bode well for the fine tuned idea.

How so?

How so?

There is a form of the fine-tuning argument that says the planet is too "lucky" to have formed naturally.

http://www.reasons.org/earth-champion-dynamo

"The researchers showed that the advanced life requirements for a planet with a long-lasting dynamo demands:

* a fine-tuned mass
    * a fine-tuned core mass
    * a fine-tuned set of mobile lids
    * a fine-tuned mantle viscosity
    * a fine-tuned ratio of the solid inner core radius compared to the liquid outer core radius
    * a fine-tuned core thermal conductivity
    * a fine-tuned core thermal expansivity
    * a fine-tuned rate of heat flow across the core-mantle boundary
    * a fine-tuned initial core temperature
    * a fine-tuned inner core composition
    * a fine-tuned outer core composition

The sum total of such precision defies any conceivable naturalistic explanation. This much fine-tuning is consistent only with the Bible’s message that God supernaturally designed Earth, its planetary partners, and its life for the specific benefit of human beings." --Reasons to Believe

How so?

Because what is so special about the Earth is there exists lots of other planets out there like the Earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There is a form of the fine-tuning argument that says the planet is too "lucky" to have formed naturally.

Ah, Hugh Ross and co. I assume this is an OEC argument?

Hmmm... Is it your position that any self-replicating system is too improbable to have arisen by chance?

Well yes. But if ID is false then I suppose that is the only way it could have happened. The question is which of the two competing theories have more going for them? I don't think ID proponents should be obliged to prove the Chance hypothesis wrong in order to show that ID is a valid theory. If they are obliged to that then the Chance proponents would have to prove that ID is wrong. Neither of the two camps can do this. So what needs to happened is to have both theories placed side by side and the proponents of each to give good arguments and possibly good evidence for their respective views. Why can't both theories have an equal level playing field in this regard?
    Or do you believe it is not too improbable, but that it was directly and intelligently designed anyway. I was under the impression that it was the former but perhaps it's the latter.

Well think about it this way. We know that the chances of life forming by itself in any life permitting environment is relatively low anyway. But the chance hypotheses not only asks us to accept that chance is the better explanation for how life formed on earth but that it happened on an earth at the exact same time as it was possible to happen. In other words it got going on a very early roll of the dice. Even if it was possible for life to have formed on the primordial earth, it doesn't follow that it inevitably will. But this is what we are asked to accept under the chance hypothesis. Don't you think that's just begging the question? Just when earth is ready to support life, bang, life appears. That would mean that life is inevitable given the right conditions. If that's the case, then why is so hard to find examples of the process in nature? Why the need for the lab?
    The issue most people have with ID proponents is they are claiming life is too improbable to have arisen naturally. If someone wants to believe that life is intelligently designed then they can go right ahead. But if they assert that abiogenesis is too improbable then that is where they are going astray.

ID proponents are not saying that life is to improbable to have formed therefore ID is correct. They also affirm that even the most basic life systems exhibit characteristics commensurate with systems that we know are the product of intelligent agents, except many orders of magnitude more advanced.

Because what is so special about the Earth is there exists lots of other planets out there like the Earth?

But they're not like earth at all. Nothing like earth in fact. Three times the mass of earth and 14 million miles away from a weaker strength star than our Sun, having a rotation which is locked in with its host star, i.e. with one side permanently facing its host star and the other in permanent darkness. No moon to stabilize its axial tilt and hence no lunar tidal activity. Its hardly a stable environment for life. Suppose we'll have to wait and see won't.

I'm always amused at people when discoveries like this are made. The planet appears to have some traits in common with earth and already we have the materialists regurgitating the argument that the earth is not special after all. Be patient and wait until we actually find life there first.

And sure even if there is life on other planets, even intelligent life, it doesn't logically follow that that life wasn't intelligently designed either. Why should it have to? We still haven't determined how life got going on our planet yet, let alone a planet that we can just barely see with our telescopes.

• Advertisement

That is not what they are saying Soul Winner.

ID is untestable.

Testing the designer is not possible. Testing for ID is. For instance; we can detect ID when we unearth stones that have been sculpted to resemble faces. Without knowing the identity of the designer we do not infer that the stone was not designed to have a particular shape. We say that it was intelligently designed even though we might not be able to test for the designer itself.
    You cannot tell if something is designed by a supernatural being because we have no idea that that looks like.

That has to be the dumbest argument against ID, why do people still use it?
    We can make wild guesses, but that isn't the same thing. We can say we don't know how this can arise naturally but that isn't the same thing.

But not only can we not determine how it could have come about naturally but what we observe in the even the most basic of living systems also exhibits similar traits that we know can be found in intelligently designed systems. i.e. information processing systems. And isn't it strange that just as we discovered the structure of DNA and what it does in the cell, we were also in the very early stages of inventing our own information processing systems? i.e. Computers.
    You can tell if self replicating molecules can arise naturally given circumstances similar to the early Earth (they can)

But we don't even know what the actual conditions on earth were. What we do is set up an environment that we know is favorable for life and use that as a test environment. That's hardly a good test is it?
    Because it happens in a lab set up by humans does not mean it can't be tested scientifically, any more than saying you can't test gravity if you do it in a padded room with a ball made by NASA.

Gravity is a force of nature with a specific and fixed set of values. Testing life formation is hardly comparable with testing gravity.
    If you rule out things that are tested in a lab you have ruled out most of physics and nearly all chemistry as being "unscientific". Can you show me a significant scientific discovery in chemistry in the last 200 years that didn't take place in a lab?

You're strawmanning again Wick, (really wish you wouldn't). How did you draw the conclusion from what I have been arguing to mean that every test in the lab over the last 200 years is unscientific? :confused:
    You are ruling things out because they don't fit with your dogma, not because they are actually at fault. This is just what the Creationists do, but you should really know better.

Ah yes, the C word again. When you are running out of good arguments you can always attack the C word to make it look like you have cornered your opponent. How about just showing us why the chance hypothesis is better than the ID hypothesis?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement