Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Soul Winner said:
    But they're not like earth at all. Nothing like earth in fact. Three times the mass of earth and 14 million miles away from a weaker strength star than our Sun, having a rotation which is locked in with its host star, i.e. with one side permanently facing its host star and the other in permanent darkness. No moon to stabilize its axial tilt and hence no lunar tidal activity. Its hardly a stable environment for life. Suppose we'll have to wait and see won't.
    Obviously Wickie won't give a fig about global warming or the enviroment, for what are minor details like these in comparison with 'earth-like' tolerances like the above. :D
    2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

Improbable wrote: »
    So what would you consider to be more significant?
    They are personal, but I can say some involved prior assurance of the answer, as well as it being very unlikely naturally.

Repeated 'coincidences' of very unlikely events, happening just at the right time, and some with prior knowledge of the answer, are enough to warrant my belief they were direct answers to my prayers.
    Acts 12:11 And when Peter had come to himself, he said, “Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people.”
    12 So, when he had considered this, he came to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose surname was Mark, where many were gathered together praying.

Wicknight wrote: »
    but to then turn around and criticize scientists, going as far as to suppose vast materialist conspiracies to explain why you are still right and they are all wrong, is silly.
    The 'conspiracy' is no more than the unwillingness to go against the flow for many, and an inward antipathy for God in others. For some of the leadership of the scientific elite, a conscious effort is made to suppress creationist arguments rather than refute them. That is the more dishonourable aspect - but it is present also in the internecine disputes amongst evolutionists, so not specific to their anti-creationism.
    1 Corinthians 1:26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Testing the designer is not possible. Testing for ID is.

No it isn't, not scientifically. For it to be a scientific test it must be falsiable.

If you don't believe me then explain how do you test that something was or wasn't made by intelligence.

Looking at it and going "Gee, I think this looks like it was made by something intelligent" is not science. If it was we would probably still think the Giants Causeway was made by a giant. :rolleyes:
    That has to be the dumbest argument against ID, why do people still use it?
    It isn't dumb at all, it is the reason ID is not science.

Again if you don't believe me then explain how you test ID in a scientific manner, ie in a falsifable manner.
    But not only can we not determine how it could have come about naturally but what we observe in the even the most basic of living systems also exhibits similar traits that we know can be found in intelligently designed systems. i.e. information processing systems.

They don't actually since biological life doesn't process information (another Creationist myth). Such an idea is like saying rivers process topographic information to figure out how to get to the sea.

But even if they did that only demonstrates ID if such a thing could not occur naturally. Since you are at a loss to show this then it doesn't support ID, any more than the Giants Causeways supports ID because humans also draw hexagons.
    But we don't even know what the actual conditions on earth were.
    Yes we do. We knew that before we started messing around with experients for abiogenesis, knowing the early conditions of the Earth are what lead to theories of abiogenesis. People didn't just suddenly think "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if life had started as self replicating molecules"
    What we do is set up an environment that we know is favorable for life and use that as a test environment. That's hardly a good test is it?

Correct that is a terrible test. Of course that isn't what scientists do so it is a total straw man.

Scientists set up the environment like the early Earth and found self replicating molecules, leading to theories on abiogenesis that involved self replicating molecules.

The idea that they would set up the experiment to produce these self replicating molecules is not only nonsense it is also stupid. How would they know what environment would produce these self replicating molecules in the first place?

And what would be the point of it if it was nothing like the early Earth, given that the purpose of these experiments is to understand the early Earth?
    Gravity is a force of nature with a specific and fixed set of values. Testing life formation is hardly comparable with testing gravity.

Of course it is. Test life formation is JUST CHEMISTRY. Chemistry has specific and fixed set of rules and values.
    You're strawmanning again Wick, (really wish you wouldn't). How did you draw the conclusion from what I have been arguing to mean that every test in the lab over the last 200 years is unscientific? :confused:

Because every time it is presented to you that these scientists found self replicating molecules by simulating the early Earth you assert that they must have started with the conclusion they wanted and worked backwards. You must believe scientists are stupid, thus chemistry is a sham.

Of course you don't really. Like Wolfsbane you only think scientists are stupid and can't control their own experience when it suits your particular dogma
    Ah yes, the C word again. When you are running out of good arguments you can always attack the C word to make it look like you have cornered your opponent. How about just showing us why the chance hypothesis is better than the ID hypothesis?

Because the "chance hypothesis" as you call it works given known chemical laws, where as ID requires that we are able to tell that something couldn't have arrived naturally and must have been designed which is entirely subjective and rather pointless.

Again don't believe me? Right explain a scientific test to verify something is intelligently design. You might be here a while since Creationists have been trying to do that for years and everything they have come up with on inspection ends up being nonsense.

Strange how despite this they can all come to the conclusion that God ... sorry, so unknown intelligence, is designing things. It is almost as if they started at that conclusion and are now working backwards. :rolleyes:

wolfsbane wrote: »
    The 'conspiracy' is no more than the unwillingness to go against the flow for many, and an inward antipathy for God in others. For some of the leadership of the scientific elite, a conscious effort is made to suppress creationist arguments rather than refute them. That is the more dishonourable aspect - but it is present also in the internecine disputes amongst evolutionists, so not specific to their anti-creationism.

And you know this how exactly? Was that part of your infallible revelation too? God told you that is why millions of scientists around the world and of many different diciples do not think the Earth is a few thousand years old?

Or are you just assuming this must be why they believe this, since after all you are infallible, and thus cannot be wrong? Or is that just when you think you are talking to God? Bit like the Pope?

• Advertisement

But they're not like earth at all. Nothing like earth in fact. Three times the mass of earth and 14 million miles away from a weaker strength star than our Sun, having a rotation which is locked in with its host star, i.e. with one side permanently facing its host star and the other in permanent darkness. No moon to stabilize its axial tilt and hence no lunar tidal activity. Its hardly a stable environment for life. Suppose we'll have to wait and see won't.

I'm always amused at people when discoveries like this are made. The planet appears to have some traits in common with earth and already we have the materialists regurgitating the argument that the earth is not special after all. Be patient and wait until we actually find life there first.

And sure even if there is life on other planets, even intelligent life, it doesn't logically follow that that life wasn't intelligently designed either. Why should it have to? We still haven't determined how life got going on our planet yet, let alone a planet that we can just barely see with our telescopes.

It is with the range Creationists claim planets never form (and thus require God)

the details are some what irrelevant once it fits the famous Goldilocks pattern that Creationists say should be so rare as to be impossible without Gods intervention.

And we have only been looking for 10 years

Of course obviously when we do find these planets Creationists are just going to change the criteria of what they were saying is impossible, until we end up with the rather ridciulous charge that unless it is exactly exactly like Earth then God made Earth, irrespective on whether life can form or not.

And you know this how exactly? Was that part of your infallible revelation too? God told you that is why millions of scientists around the world and of many different diciples do not think the Earth is a few thousand years old?

Or are you just assuming this must be why they believe this, since after all you are infallible, and thus cannot be wrong? Or is that just when you think you are talking to God? Bit like the Pope?
    I know this from my years of human observation, including of my own sinful nature. Integrity is challenged by convenience all the time, and self-deception is a danger to the best of us.

I know this from my years of human observation, including of my own sinful nature.

You have spend years observing the scientific community and their research?

You have spend years observing the scientific community and their research?
    Just humans. Evolutionists are humans too, though some might think they are superior to the rest of us.
    1 Corinthians 1:26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

Just humans. Evolutionists are humans too, though some might think they are superior to the rest of us.

So in conclusion you have no idea if they are fudging their research or not, you just assume they are because their conclusions don't match what you know to be infallible and you don't make mistakes but they obviously do

• Advertisement

So in conclusion you have no idea if they are fudging their research or not, you just assume they are because their conclusions don't match what you know to be infallible and you don't make mistakes but they obviously do
    No, most no doubt carry out their research and draw conclusions based on their sincere presuppositions about evolution & deep time being true. When challenged by other scientists on the matter, they hold their position without giving due consideration to the counter-argument because of peer-pressure and/or internal antagonism to the Bible.

Of course I know they are mistaken, so that does indeed give me an assurance they cannot legitimately possess.

When challenged by other scientists on the matter, they hold their position without giving due consideration to the counter-argument because of peer-pressure and/or internal antagonism to the Bible.

Can you detail how you know this? How long have you been researching the individual scientists who work in the field of evolution biology (of which there are hundreds of thousands)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

When challenged by other scientists on the matter, they hold their position without giving due consideration to the counter-argument because of peer-pressure and/or internal antagonism to the Bible.

This isn't true at all, as we have told you before.
    Of course I know they are mistaken, so that does indeed give me an assurance they cannot legitimately possess.

This is incredibly naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Well done, you've completely discredited yourself in one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

And then, just two posts later.

That's what I love about creationists. Just when you think that they cannot get any more ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Torqueamada

A few verses come to mind.

Taken from the ESV. All italics are my own emphasis.

2 Corinthians 4:1-4

"Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world (i.e. Satan - poster's edit) has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

2 Timothy 4:3

"For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions"

John 3:16-20

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed."

equivariant said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane

And then, just two posts later.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane

That's what I love about creationists. Just when you think that they cannot get any more ridiculous.
    Does knowing the truth make me superior to you? Do you consider yourself superior to anyone who knows less than you?

Hmm, maybe that explains a lot about how you evolutionists think.

liamw wrote: »
    Well done, you've completely discredited yourself in one sentence.
    So you know that I do not know? Maybe you would tell us where this knowledge came from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

So you know that I do not know? Maybe you would tell us where this knowledge came from?

You made a statement claiming you had absolute knowledge which is a very arrogant and naive position to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

equivariant said:

Does knowing the truth make me superior to you? Do you consider yourself superior to anyone who knows less than you?

Hmm, maybe that explains a lot about how you evolutionists think.

LOL - keep digging. You completely missed the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

No it isn't, not scientifically. For it to be a scientific test it must be falsiable.

If you don't believe me then explain how do you test that something was or wasn't made by intelligence.

Answer the following question and you will then have your answer. How will the scientists in the SETI program be able to distinguish between random radio noise and intelligently designed signals? If they repeatedly received a Morse code type signal that produce the effect of sequencing the first 10 prime numbers they would deduce from their everyday experience that such a sequence is highly unlikely to be produced randomly especially if it is repeated over and over again. The SETI scientists would have no problem at all in inferring design in this case.

When archaeologists find stone tablets with writings on them they do not infer that the writings are a random product of erosion over time. They deduce that the writings where intelligently designed.

Both cases are good examples of complex specific information where we have no problem at all in inferring design.

Why can't the same inference be made in microbiology? Where we have a vastly more complicated code in place where twenty amino acids (the building blocks of life) are sequenced in chains in order to form particular proteins. A sequence that comes from the information stored in DNA which itself has millions of lines of code? If we cannot infer design at this microscopic level then we have abandoned our faculty of reason. The sequence of these amino acid chains are akin to compiling lines of code for a computer program except they are sequences from 1 to 20 instead of just 0s and 1s, plus they are three dimensional and their sequencing needs to be just right in order for the three dimensional structure of the resulting protein to be able to perform its function within the cell. Are you seriously suggestion that chance alone can account for all this? Because without the aid of any guiding principle in the mix that is exactly what you are asking us to accept.
    Looking at it and going "Gee, I think this looks like it was made by something intelligent" is not science.

Well then SETI are wasting a lot of time and money aren't they?

Plus looking at it and going "Gee this looks designed but it can't be because we have already sold out to the idea that it isn't designed in at time when we knew sweet FA about the inner workings of the cell." is not science either.
    It isn't dumb at all, it is the reason ID is not science.

It is dumb.
    Again if you don't believe me then explain how you test ID in a scientific manner, ie in a falsifable manner.

Simple, when you can show how DNA can form naturally then you will have falsified ID.
    They don't actually since biological life doesn't process information (another Creationist myth). Such an idea is like saying rivers process topographic information to figure out how to get to the sea.

Bunkum of highest order Wicknight. Rivers are made of water and water finds its own level due to the force of gravity, they will always flow down hill and fill whatever nooks and crannies get in the way. There is no information processing going on at all, just a natural process of cause and effect. Now are you seriously drawing an analogy to water flowing down hill to say, transcription of RNA in the cell? See vid below:

But even if they did that only demonstrates ID if such a thing could not occur naturally. Since you are at a loss to show this then it doesn't support ID, any more than the Giants Causeways supports ID because humans also draw hexagons.

In the case Hexagonal shapes in rocks, ID has been shown to be falsified because it can be shown that these shapes form naturally. This has not been done with abiogenesis research though. Hence ID as as good a theory as Chance or Necessity until it can be falsified there too. So what we have seen so far is that ID is testable and that it is falsifiable, meaning that it is as valid a scientific theory as Chance or Necessity.
    Yes we do. We knew that before we started messing around with experients for abiogenesis, knowing the early conditions of the Earth are what lead to theories of abiogenesis. People didn't just suddenly think "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if life had started as self replicating molecules"

Wicknight, nobody knows exactly what the conditions on earth were like 3.5 billions years ago, all we have are theories which are plausible at best considering the available evidence.
    Scientists set up the environment like the early Earth and found self replicating molecules, leading to theories on abiogenesis that involved self replicating molecules.

Again tests that are performed in labs that replicate what might have been the conditions on earth at that time. Experiments which test theories which cannot all be right. Tests which explain how certain stages of the self replicating process might have happened but none of which explains how we get to DNA. That is still the enigma that needs explaining by natural causes in order to falsify ID as a theory.
    The idea that they would set up the experiment to produce these self replicating molecules is not only nonsense it is also stupid. How would they know what environment would produce these self replicating molecules in the first place?

Charles Darwin postulated such an environment when he couldn't possibly have known that it ever existed. We know now that such environments are plausible given what we do know about the early earth, but Charley didn't know then what we know now and yet that didn't stop him from postulating one, so your point is moot.
    And what would be the point of it if it was nothing like the early Earth, given that the purpose of these experiments is to understand the early Earth?

The purpose of these experiments is to explain how abiogenesis can take place, not to understand what the earth was like. To do that we need to do different tests, study sedimentation, rock formation, layering, composition of the oldest rocks and so on.
    Of course it is. Test life formation is JUST CHEMISTRY. Chemistry has specific and fixed set of rules and values.

Life is chemically based yes, but we need a mechanism to explain how these chemicals can come together through all the various stages to produce DNA. Chance happening after chance happening is not a good explanation. The best naturalistic explanation I've read so far is the one proposed by Dr. Jack Szostak or Harvard. But that just explains how it COULD have happened using strictly natural processes. But it is but one of the many competing abiogenesis theories out there, none of which are accepted universally in the science community as being a proper and adequate demonstration of abiogenesis.
    Because every time it is presented to you that these scientists found self replicating molecules by simulating the early Earth you assert that they must have started with the conclusion they wanted and worked backwards. You must believe scientists are stupid, thus chemistry is a sham.

Not so, what I said (and I'll say it again) was that the lab tests that are performed to show how self replicating systems can form naturally use conditions that were supposedly like those of the prebiotic earth. Supposedly because nobody can really say what those conditions were really like. So you have people postulating conditions which they know would be favorable for life formation and transposing those postulations onto the early earth. I'm not saying that they are wrong, I'm just saying that they don't really know for sure, yet. The best and most famous experiment to date only shows how amino acids can form under natural conditions. There is no sufficient experiment that can show how these building blocks can self assemble into proteins without DNA. And there is no experiment that shows how DNA evolved from RNA. And there is no experiment to show how RNA can survive in most of the supposed conditions of the early earth that are used in other experiments which attempt to demonstrate abiogenesis via another route.
    Of course you don't really. Like Wolfsbane you only think scientists are stupid and can't control their own experience when it suits your particular dogma

No, that's just your imagination running wild.
    Because the "chance hypothesis" as you call it works given known chemical laws, where as ID requires that we are able to tell that something couldn't have arrived naturally and must have been designed which is entirely subjective and rather pointless.

For one, the chance hypothesis doesn't work, and two, ID is not reliant on the chance hypothesis being false anyway. ID stands or falls depending on whether self replicating systems (specifically DNA) can be shown to develop in conditions that we know for certain were present on the primordial earth. Until this can be demonstrated, ID remains the best explanation for how the first DNA molecule arose, because what we find in DNA are the instructions for the sequence that amino acids need to form in order to build the three dimensionally structured proteins which make up all the various parts and perform all the various functions in the cell, without which the cell would not have proper function.

All these processes are dependent on how these instructions are processed and as far as our everyday experience shows, only intelligent agents are known to produce information processing systems similar to this, all be it much less advanced. Chance assemblages of chemicals and chemical compounds do not produce these effects as far as we know.
    Again don't believe me? Right explain a scientific test to verify something is intelligently design. You might be here a while since Creationists have been trying to do that for years and everything they have come up with on inspection ends up being nonsense.

Do archaeologists need to test that hieroglyphs are intelligently designed? Do SETI astronomers need to test whether a repeated radio signal sequence of the first ten prime numbers is intelligently designed? No. It is the default position. That's what they are actively looking for, because they know that finding such a signal is practically impossible to occur by chance. They actually calibrate their instruments to detect such signals.

For someone to object to ether of the above inference to intelligent design would require that person to show how these things could occur naturally. Only when they do that can the prior inference to intelligent design be re-examined. But nobody bothers because it is just a given that these types of code sequences are of an inteligent origin. Likewise in the case for microscopic biological systems. Given the fact of their high improbability to have arisen by chance, then add to that that they appear to be designed for a purpose, the burden of proof is on the objector to the most logical conclusion at that juncture. Why do you think so many people try their utmost best to do just that? They've been trying for years and to date nobody has come up with an all encompassing demonstration of abiogenesis.
    Strange how despite this they can all come to the conclusion that God ... sorry, so unknown intelligence, is designing things. It is almost as if they started at that conclusion and are now working backwards. :rolleyes:

Well if ID is the best explanation for how life came about then an other than us intelligence must have done it. What we are left with at this point is a debate on what that other intelligence might be. This cannot be tested in the science lab, this is a debate for theists, philosophers and SETI enthusiasts. It is either the product of Aliens or of a God of some kind, or possibly even angels but obviously non human inteligence. Atheists have already nailed their flag to the post that God does not exists so no wonder they cleave to any kind of naturalistic explanation that they can find, even when some of these naturalistic explanations would cancel out each other.

So to the charge that ID is not science because it cannot be tested and cannot be falsified. As we have seen above, both of these claims have been refuted, ID is detectable and hence testable in other sciences, and is also falsifiable when it can be shown that what is perceived to be designed can be shown by experiment to be the result of natural processes. Hence ID is a valid scientific theory that explains how life arose on this planet. That doesn't mean that its true, it just means that the charge that its not science based on the two aforementioned criteria is a load of old Tosh.

That was a long post that ignored most of the previous refutations from me and others and just repeated the same old Creationist dribble, such as stating once again that scientists assume the early Earth was what was required to produce the self replicating molecules the want.

I'm rather sick of repeatedly telling you something isn't true only to have you repeat it back to me a few posts later. It is obviously you have completely closed your mind off, and believe without understanding what ever nonsense you read in that Creationist book you mentioned before.

But one of the most annoying repeated points of nonsense is that ID is science, and falsifiable, so lets just deal with that for the moment.
    Answer the following question and you will then have your answer. How will the scientists in the SETI program be able to distinguish between random radio noise and intelligently designed signals?

They won't be able to, not scientifically.

You seem to be confusing layman and scientific. I can look at painting and determine, myself, that it was intelligently designed. But that is not the same thing as demonstrating it scientifically. And when we get into fuzzy areas (the Giants Causeway for example) the problem with personal assessment become obvious (for years people assumed the Giants Causeway was not naturally occurring because they figured that such patterns would have to be designed)

If the SETI scientists could work out scientifically if a signal was intelligent or not there would be no issue over the Wow signal, which people are still debating whether it was natural or intelligent in origin.
    If they repeatedly received a Morse code type signal that produce the effect of sequencing the first 10 prime numbers they would deduce from their everyday experience that such a sequence is highly unlikely to be produced randomly

Which has nothing to do with science.
    Why can't the same inference be made in microbiology?
    Because it is not science.

For something to be science it must be falisiable. That doesn't mean you accept a different theory over this one. It means the actual theory itself, independently to any other theory, can be demonstrated to be wrong through a test or set of tests.

So once again, how do you falsify ID? Saying you show it happened naturally doesn't do this, that is just a competing theory, it is not a test. Because something could form naturally doesn't mean it wasn't formed by intelligence (the giant's causeway formed naturally but it could have also been intelligently design).

In reality there is no way of testing ID without access to the designer. And since the design in all cases of supposed ID is a supernatural deity (odd that) this is impossible. And as such ID is not science.

I'll get to the other nonsense if this post when I can.

liamw wrote: »
    You made a statement claiming you had absolute knowledge which is a very arrogant and naive position to take.
    Only if one hasn't got it.

But you imply no one can have it. Seems a bit of a faith position to take, unless you have some absolute knowledge!
    Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

LOL - keep digging. You completely missed the point
    So humour me. Explain your point.

Can you detail how you know this? How long have you been researching the individual scientists who work in the field of evolution biology (of which there are hundreds of thousands)?
    As I have already said, the evolutionists have a common nature to us all, and many years of human observation leads me to my conclusions as to their self-delusion and/ or refusal to rock the boat.

I have also found testimony to that effect from former evolutionists and from existing ones (the latter concerning inter-evolutionary disputes).

As I have already said, the evolutionists have a common nature to us all, and many years of human observation leads me to my conclusions as to their self-delusion and/ or refusal to rock the boat.

So (once again) you actually have no idea if these hundreds of thousands of scientists are doing this or not.

You are just assuming they are because "years of human observation" has lead you to conclude that humans in general delude themselves, and because you believe you are in possession of infallible knowledge.

It is always amusing to see something go on about how others are deluding themselves while at the same time professing they are in possible of infallible truth :P

Everyone is wrong but you, correct?

Only if one hasn't got it.

Given that you can't logically tell either way, it would seem arrogant even if you do.

So, are you like the Pope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Well yes. But if ID is false then I suppose that is the only way it could have happened. The question is which of the two competing theories have more going for them? I don't think ID proponents should be obliged to prove the Chance hypothesis wrong in order to show that ID is a valid theory. If they are obliged to that then the Chance proponents would have to prove that ID is wrong. Neither of the two camps can do this. So what needs to happened is to have both theories placed side by side and the proponents of each to give good arguments and possibly good evidence for their respective views. Why can't both theories have an equal level playing field in this regard?

ID proponents rely on establishing an implication. Namely, that complex functional mechanisms imply an intelligent design. One way of doing this is by showing that complex functional mechanisms cannot arise any other way. This is the strategy that most IDers have adopted, but it has so far been unsuccessful (more on this later in the post).

The other strategy is to argue that, because analogies can be drawn between artificial machines and biological systems, that it is reasonable to infer design. (You mentioned, in a post to Wicknight, SETI and archaeologists.) The difference is Archaeologists and SETI scientists make assumptions based on what we know about civilizations, while ID proponents are making assumptions that are not based on biology and chemistry. They have drawn analogies between artificial machines and biological systems, but they have not demonstrated that the analogy is appropriate for inferring design.
    Well think about it this way. We know that the chances of life forming by itself in any life permitting environment is relatively low anyway. But the chance hypotheses not only asks us to accept that chance is the better explanation for how life formed on earth but that it happened on an earth at the exact same time as it was possible to happen. In other words it got going on a very early roll of the dice. Even if it was possible for life to have formed on the primordial earth, it doesn't follow that it inevitably will. But this is what we are asked to accept under the chance hypothesis. Don't you think that's just begging the question? Just when earth is ready to support life, bang, life appears. That would mean that life is inevitable given the right conditions. If that's the case, then why is so hard to find examples of the process in nature? Why the need for the lab?

It's important to define terms. Biologists believe the chance of a simple self-replicating system forming from a reaction could be as low as 1 in 10^40. In everyday terms, this is a massive improbability. But given the large number of "trials" that would occur over even a million years, it is not too difficult to overcome.

"One kilogram of the amino acid arginine has 2.85 x 10^24 molecules in it (that's well over a billion billion); a tonne of arginine has 2.85 x 10^27 molecules. If you took a semi-trailer load of each amino acid and dumped it into a medium size lake, you would have enough molecules to generate our particular replicator in a few tens of years." --Talkorigins Abiogenesis FAQ

So (once again) you actually have no idea if these hundreds of thousands of scientists are doing this or not.

You are just assuming they are because "years of human observation" has lead you to conclude that humans in general delude themselves, and because you believe you are in possession of infallible knowledge.

It is always amusing to see something go on about how others are deluding themselves while at the same time professing they are in possible of infallible truth :P

Everyone is wrong but you, correct?
    1. Are you saying these scientists have a non-human nature?

2. No, many others have the same infallible knowledge of God. They have existed from the beginning. In New Testament times they were first called Christians.
    1 John 2:20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. 21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

• Advertisement

Given that you can't logically tell either way, it would seem arrogant even if you do.

So, are you like the Pope?
    I have a spiritual knowledge that works in real life - that's logical enough for me. :)

And I don't claim I'm infallible about all things. Neither does the Pope.
    Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement