Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Improbable wrote: »
    No, what he said was that you have failed to do so.

Heredity and various proofreading proteins handle the problem of sequence integrity perfectly well. As to the other point about chirality in proteins, yes, we admit that we're not 100% certain about why it is the way it is. One of the leading theories is that proteins which contain only one type of chirality have a lower entropic state and thus are more energetically favourable. This also plugs into the nucleation condensation mechanism of protein folding quite nicely. As to the "flipping a coin" argument, well it's just nonsense. If you were to flip a coin randomly an infinite number of times, it should be 50% heads, 50% tails. However, if you have something which is stopping the coins from being heads, then you can have as many tails as you want. You can have this intervention without having to resort to god. Physical processes are entirely capable of excluding certain states. It's equating the process to either happening by chance or by divine design. These are not the 2 choices. Evolution and natural selection are perfectly capable driving forces behind processes which can cause organisms to look designed.

Haven't watched those videos but I know how transcription and translation work in probably a lot more detail than they go into there. I have had to remind you time and time again that these things do not "know" anything. They are simply performing a function based on physical principles. I don't know much about computer programming so I can't comment on their similarity or lack thereof.

The question I want to ask you is this:

Do you have any reason for not believing in evolution and natural selection which is based on something other than the argument of "I, or some other random person who's credibility I don't know, personally do not understand how this can occur."? The evidence of mutations, heredity, speciation, natural selection are numerous and to say otherwise is either a result of ignorance or of wilful deception.

I'll also just point out that even if sometime in the future evolution was disproven (not that I think it will be), that in no way means that "god wins". Just because the answer isn't A doesn't mean the answer is B. You're failing to consider the fact that you're ignoring options C to infinity. That's why unless you can discount every other possibility to the point of certainty (which you can't) or provide logical, reasonable explanations as to why your point of view is right, (which you also can't), then you're not going to be taken seriously by rationally thinking people.

All I'm certain of as far (as I understand it) is that natural processes cannot produce one single functional protein never mind the mind boggling complexity of life.

Now the actual cause of the complexity of life might very well be aliens, we don't know yet, someone will have to come up with a theory that would support that hypothesis, but that has not happened as yet. And I don't need to look into the complexity of the cell to conclude that God did it. That's an intuitive belief I have without having to do an delving of that kind, and I admit that I cannot prove that. But my belief is not what's at questions here. What's at question is the validity of the arguments that claim to explain life's complexity, and all I'm saying is that they don't explain squat diddly to my inferior brain. But when someone can explain it in terms that I can understand I will be the first one to say: "You know what, you did it, you actually explained it in terms that actually makes sense to me. Well done." Until then I am not going to go along with the crowd and say I understand it when I don't understand it. And I'm not convinced that any of you guys understand it either, even though you claim you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Are you seriously suggesting that Darwin's theory of evolution is a sealed tight argument that has no holes that need filling?

I can't really find anything meaty enough in their that convinces me that such evidence affirms anything at all. Just lots of citations and links that don't really lead to much except other citations and links :confused:. I can point you to just as many links that would go some way in refuting the idea that life just happened to come into existence all by itself without any influence by a guiding intelligence at all. Like this from Darwinism Refuted.com (A Muslim site I think):

It is very 'meaty'. Though if you are not familiar with the terminology it can be hard to follow. This first paper investigates the feasability of natural abiogenesis occurring during a given era. The second is a basic example of investigating how certain chemical mechanisms affect our theories of abiogenesis.

<probability of left-handed molecules argument>

"The same encyclopaedia states that it is impossible to understand why molecules become left-handed or right-handed, and that this choice is fascinatingly related to the origin of life on earth."

This is an old straw-man argument that most Creationists have thankfully stopped using. The link below is a pro-creationist website denouncing the argument.
    http://creationwiki.org/(Talk.Origins)_Life_uses_only_left-handed_amino_acids

In short, nobody claims the left-handedness of life occurred by chance. The claim above is 'interesting' to say the least. Do they, by any chance, cite the britannica article?
    Here's a couple of interesting videos from Youtube. Do you want to tell me that these micro machines just know what to do? That there is no preprogramming that has gone into this process? That it just happens? No information processing going on whatsoever and that it bares no resemblance to information processing that we execute everyday in computers and other media processing machines like tape drives and such?

From RNA to Protein Synthesis

Transcription and Translation

Beyond astonishing. And Wicknight says that this bares no resemblance to how computers process information? Come on now.

While I don't fully agree with Wicknight's aversion to code analogies, I agree with his concern that there is a lot of teleological baggage associated with words like "coding" and "information".

[edit]-Tidied up quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

And how advanced would a computer programmer be if he or she could write a program that could somehow utilize any errors that may occur to enlarge the program's ability to become more advanced rather than breakdown? That would take some doing wouldn't it?

Actually, this is effectively how evolutionary algorithms work. Random, mindless errors are introduced into sequences of data representing solutions, and selected based on a set of criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

All I'm certain of as far (as I understand it) is that natural processes cannot produce one single functional protein never mind the mind boggling complexity of life.

That's kind of my point. As far as you understand it. Which is to say, not very well. That's not an insult but simply a statement that you do not have the necessary knowledge to make an informed decision about whether or not it is possible.
    Now the actual cause of the complexity of life might very well be aliens, we don't know yet, someone will have to come up with a theory that would support that hypothesis, but that has not happened as yet. And I don't need to look into the complexity of the cell to conclude that God did it. That's an intuitive belief I have without having to do an delving of that kind, and I admit that I cannot prove that. But my belief is not what's at questions here. What's at question is the validity of the arguments that claim to explain life's complexity, and all I'm saying is that they don't explain squat diddly to my inferior brain. But when someone can explain it in terms that I can understand I will be the first one to say: "You know what, you did it, you actually explained it in terms that actually makes sense to me. Well done." Until then I am not going to go along with the crowd and say I understand it when I don't understand it. And I'm not convinced that any of you guys understand it either, even though you claim you do.

You can say that you don't understand it as much as you want. You don't have to understand it for it to be true. The position that you should take when you don't understand the cause of something should be to say that you don't know and that is a perfectly reasonable and respectable position to take. But that's not what you are doing. You are saying that because you don't understand it, and because you believe in god that an intelligent designer must have designed it. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that you get to say that the answer is just whatever you want it to be. That goes back to the point I made previously about option A and option B not being the only two options.

You said you question the validity of our arguments. I asked you whether you have any rational, logical or evidence based argument to support that. Did you give an answer other than "I don't understand it"? How about you give me a specific list of things you don't understand about it and I'll try to answer you as best as I can. Then you can try to give evidence for why you think that I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Throwing slime at everything you don't like about creationists and IDers is not the same as refuting the very simple fact that life displays an intricate array of interconnected attributes that can only be attributed to an intelligent source.

It is impossible to dispute that because it is a claim that exists only in the mind of IDers and Creationists.

Saying it looks to you like it could only have been designed by intelligence is simply an argument from ignorance. There is no way to test it, you could simply be wrong.

I could say it looks to me like Jesus was in fact a hamster pretending to be a human. Find me the Bible passage that says he wasn't a hamster pretending to be a human. Oh you can't? Then he was a hamster. With no way to disprove it then it must be right, correct?
    That you cannot see what is blatantly obvious to others is your problem.

It is "blatantly obvious" to a tiny percentage of people with a strong religious agenda that requires this to be true, and blatantly not obvious to the vast vast majority of evolutionary biologists from all religions and walks of life.
    All I'm pointing out is that an intelligence of some kind was behind life's formation.

Well it is good to know your agenda here is now out in the open.
    The reason why this debate is so controversial is because anyone who doesn't hold to the Darwinian explanation is somehow inferior because of that stance.

Yes, because they are arguing science from the position of religious dogma, not from the position of science. They are dismissed by the scientific community because of this.

You only have trouble with this because you are one of them. You would have little trouble with scientists dismissing Flat Earthers or astrologist.
    How can prejudice like that be progressive?

It is the definition of progressive, casting aside dogma and following what the science says, not what religious people want the science to say for religious reasons.
    Science is (or should be) all about disagreements when it comes to theories. Remember Einstein and Bohr? They disagreed vehemently with each other about their scientific theories, but they are both very well respected scientists. Why should biology be different?
    It is not any difference. Biologists at the time of Darwin argued back and forth about evolution and modern scientists such as Dawkins and Gould have argued with each other till the cows come in.

The difference between them and Creationists/IDers is taht they were actually doing science.
    I'll tell you why. Its because of ideology, not science.

Couldn't have said it better. Creationism is an ideology, not science. Intelligent Design is an ideology, not science.
    And the ideology that rules this avenue of science is purely materialistic. No divine foot is allowed remember? Any explanation that allows a supernatural explanation is barred at the door by those who simple do not subscribe to such an idea at the get go.

NO ONE has ever put forward scientific theory of a designer. NO ONE.

As soon as they do it can be assessed by science. But NO ONE has ever done this. So what the fudge would you like scientists to actually discuss? The merits of what you think isn't possible?

Saying Well I think it must have been a designer and oh by the way I think the designer was my god, is not science.
    OK I'll grant you that. But apart from that do you still think its nothing like how computers process information?

It is nothing like how computers process information. There is no logic processing in DNA. In computers things get done based on logic gates. Do this if X otherwise do Y. This doesn't exist in DNA. It is just sequence X produces protein Y, sequence A produces protein B

It is simply a more complex version of chemistry, certain molecules being formed based on the sequence the DNA is in. It is more like a coin sorting devices than a software program.
    And how advanced would a computer programmer be if he or she could write a program that could somehow utilize any errors that may occur to enlarge the program's ability to become more advanced rather than breakdown?
    The results of the program would be unpredictable and as such useless. Imagine if your word processor suddenly started replacing the letter "A" with the letter "Z" every time you typed it, or suddenly started printing a document every time you saved it.

You may occasionally get a result that is better than before but without a selection process (ie natural selection) this will never evolve. You would need 500 people using your program with all the unpredictable outputs until one of them stumbles on something better than before and then they all switch to using that version. Then you start again. I can't see you selling may versions of this program.

DNA is worse than computer code for achieving the goal of computer code. Much much worse. It doesn't know what it is doing, it isn't following a plan or design. It is just doing stuff, and if this stuff happens to produce a protein that is useful to the organism, all well and good.
    That would take some doing wouldn't it?

No, it would be easy. People don't do it because they aren't interested in a software program that behaves unpredictably, where anything "works".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    You said one could not assess if the events were unlikely. Now you accept one can.

No I didn't. I said one could not assess if the events were unlikely purely on their own personal assessment. Empirical study is required.
    So you would not know if an event was unlikely, and so worth studying, without studying it! Or maybe you mean you are able to make an initial assessment of its probability, but without scientific investigation you would be unable to confirm that assessment or not?

How does this work in practice? If you are Moses, and the Red Sea opened overnight when you gave the command, and closed again the following day when you gave the command, do you tell yourself you are unable to say if this really happened? That your memory was playing tricks? That maybe you just asked for something to happen and this just happened to be the next to occur?

That you need to write the command down in the front of scientific witnesses and then ask God to do it all again, just to make sure?

Even the Egyptian experts were not so skeptical: :D
    Exodus 8:18 Now the magicians so worked with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not. So there were lice on man and beast. 19 Then the magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” But Pharaoh’s heart grew hard, and he did not heed them, just as the LORD had said.
    Quote:
    What caused the unlikely event is another matter.

Its not because without knowing what caused them you cannot possibly hope to accurately assess how likely they are.

It becomes, as I suspect your arguments for the miracles you believe you have experienced, a claim from ignorance. I don't know how these things might have happened but I imagine they couldn't all happy together so I'm going to believe they are very unlikely.
    It doesn't have to be naturally impossible events to make an obvious miracle - just the event coming at the requested junction. You would not be able to conclude the Red Sea opening for Israel's need and closing again for their need, both at the command of Moses, to be a 'beyond reasonable chance' event. If we posted recorders at the locality and measured how many times the sea opened like this over a millennia, do you think we would see anything? But let's be generous and say we get a parting once every century - that's one day in 365x100 = 36,500 to 1. Unless you insist Israel will come to that spot more than once - at bit difficult in view of the pursuing Egyptian army.

If I witnessed the conjunction of Moses' command and the sea parting, and the sea return at his word, I would draw the conclusion that something very unlikely had happened. If I were Moses and had the inner experience of God command and promise about the parting and closure, I would not be unbelieving in God. Only a hard heart would be.
    If you believe otherwise it goes a long way to explaining why you are a theist and why you reject scientific theories like evolution.

Common sense tells us that evolution won't happen. It tells us this because human brains are very bad at imagining large complex processes, which is what evolution is, and as such we cannot imagine billions of life forms producing trillions of mutations interact with other trillions of mutations some of which are selected by millions of natural processes acting in millions of different ways.

To understand evolution you need to look at it with mathematics because our brains simply cannot hold the information in our heads.

Likewise with your miracles. Your brain cannot accurately process the millions of things that happen to you in a given day, the billions of permutations of how you interact with the world and how it interacts with us. It simply can't. We fall back on much more basic understandings of the world in order just to get by. Our brain pattern matches because if we tried to store and process everything we simply couldn't, our brains aren't powerful enough.
    Seems to me the idea that some mutations have advantage and therefore the organism tends to survive better is simple enough for any one to understand.

The difficulty I have is seeing how the fully functioning organism came to be in the first place, to allow mutations any possibility of giving it an edge. It had to start with the simplest form and advance, banking each mutation until enough of them existed to make a beneficial information sequence. As JC has often pointed out, the maths for that makes the miracles of the Bible look small beer. O, Atheist, great is your faith!
    Quote:
    I cannot prove to anyone else that such things happened to me, but I remember them as well as any other important personal event.

Such a claim is irrelevant. If your memory was inaccurate you wouldn't know since you only have one memory and without any external measurement you cannot tell if you are simply remembering wrong.

The only fall back is the assertion that you wouldn't remember wrong. Given that we know humans do this that assertion is invalidated.
    It's amazing how I drive hundreds of miles every work night, and still manage to find my way home. All those possibilities that my observations and memory are faulty. But maybe you reckon only 'spiritual' matters are beyond belief.
    Quote:
    Some careless or boastful people may well make wild claims. But you are saying no one can experience such things and honestly report them.

No, first of all I never said anything about honesty. I do not believe you are lying when you say you remember it this way, nor do I believe you are lying when you say you have assessed it as being highly unlikely that this would just happen.

Honesty is not the issue. Accuracy is.

I'm saying no one can experience such things and know they are accurately reporting them if that assessment is left entirely up to them.
    Thank you, accurately would have been the right word.
    Anytime anyone has tried to assess the accuracy of these claims using something more than simply personal assessment they have found it increasingly difficult to show the claims are actually accurate.
    Again, most of these things are not open to check after the event. One would need to record the prayer before the answer came. Excitable people often make wild claims, but that does not address the possibility of non-excitable people being accurate in their reports.
    Quote:
    A big jump, one that is motivated by the desire to discredit spiritual things.

I'm not going to pretend that some people are not interested in discrediting spiritual things, but you have to ask yourself a) why does that matter, surely you either can or cannot show that something is likely or unlikely what ever your motivation
    I was responding to your suggestion of a bias in the believer's reporting. We are all in danger of bias.
    and b) why is decrediting spiritual things a bad thing if they are demonstrating that some spiritual claim is not supported? Isn't truth more important?
    I'm all for revealing the truth. If one can show a claim is unsupported, then good. Society is full of bogus spiritual claims. I just point out that saying all spiritual claims are unsupported and unreliable/unknowable by those who claim to experience them is also unsupported.
    Quote:
    I have measured my experiences.

I would be very interested in the process and the data you used to do this.
    A couple of examples - Others witnessed at least one of the events:
    An unbeliever, who put the coincidence of my prayer and the critical outcome down to amazing 'luck'.

Another was also thought by an unbeliever to be a sort of miracle, though they did not know of my months of previous prayer. Could I have imagined I prayed for that outcome? Only if I can have imagined my time at secondary school, for example.
    Quote:
    But I gather you want me to set up an experiment where I ask God for something beyond reasonable chance and then see if it happens. With the request dated and noted by witnesses beforehand.

If you want to assess the accuracy of your claims. You say that as if it is a bad thing, I suspect because you know deep down your claims would be shown to have little support, certainly not the support you believe they have now.
    Your ability to know anything is determined by such scientific testing? You must live a very nebulous existence, unsure of everything you experience!
    Quote:
    God is not my lab. technician. And I'm not trying to prove His ability.

That is some what contradictory because you have already given these as justification for how you know he exists. So you have already done this, you just haven't done it to any particular high standard.
    No, I didn't do it. God did it for me. Big difference.
    Say you are going to refuse to test God's existence to a higher standard seems like a hollow argument, an excuse to simply not test God's existence to any standard beyond personal assessment that opens up the possibility that your original assessment is inaccurate.
    Thankfully I do not have to exist in that sceptical limbo. My experience of God's goodness to me is not a matter of doubtful experiences long ago or today, but of life-changing experiences then and now. It works. I enjoy the blessings He gave me and am certain He will hear me again when I call.

You say I could be deceiving myself, without scientific testing of the experiences. I say only a fool would experience them and put it down to 'luck'.
    Quote:
    I'm only telling you what I have experienced. If you think I'm incapable of recognising an unlikely event or remembering if I had specifically asked for it, then that's up to you.

True. I can't make you do any of this, but I can ignore claims that you have personally assessed that your God exists without doing any of this.
    Certainly, but you will be behaving rashly if you do.
    Also it makes your claims about evolution, scientists and your own personal assessment highly hypocritical. You hold scientists up to a standard far beyond the low standard you hold your own assessments and those of your religion to.
    You seem to be confused about the nature of science and spiritual reality. Science can only speak about material things, based on physical observation and testing. Science can test scientific claims; it can even test a person's observation and memory ability. But it cannot test whether anyone's claim to a spiritual experience is true or false.

When you say such claims are unsupported, and by inference not worth considering as possibly true, you go beyond scientific capability. You are then making assessments based on your atheistic bias, not science.

‘ He shall give His angels charge over you,
    To keep you,’
    11 and,

‘ In their hands they shall bear you up,
    Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

12 And Jesus answered and said to him, “It has been said, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

ArtSmart wrote: »
    oh.

didnt realise it could be open to debate. oops. (bows out graciously, and a little nervously)
    ... it's not really much of a debate ... because the evidence for ID is so overwhelming ... it's just the dogged denial of the Evolutionists in the face of all of the evidence against the spontaneous creation of life that keeps the debate going at all!!!

Wicknight wrote: »
    I work in computers. I would love for a change in my computer code to not have any effect on my software, but unfortunately it cause it to crash.

This is very unlike DNA. Changes in DNA do not cause the system to crash, the vast majority of DNA sequences will do something. That something is or isn't selected by natural selection.

This is nothing like software programming, I wish it was.
    If your programmes crash every time there is a single change in your code you must be a very poor programmer indeed ... as you haven't built in sufficient redundancy and/or self checking/correction abilities into your programmes ... like the Intelligent Designer(s) of life did!!!

... so the reason that life is not like your programmes ... is because the functionality its CSI is vastly superior to the functionality of the CSI in
    your computer programmes!!!

... and BTW that's not a criticism of your programming skills ... it's just a reminder that you don't possess God-like levels of omniscience!!!:eek::D

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Or maybe you mean you are able to make an initial assessment of its probability, but without scientific investigation you would be unable to confirm that assessment or not?

Exactly. You can suspect that something is unlikely and worth of study.

The problem is when you don't actually do the "worth of study" bit, and just conclude that because you think it is unlikely it is. Which seems to be what you are doing with your miracles.
    How does this work in practice? If you are Moses, and the Red Sea opened overnight when you gave the command, and closed again the following day when you gave the command, do you tell yourself you are unable to say if this really happened?

I would be completely at a loss as to what really happened. I've no idea how a sea can be held back, and it would require a heck of a lot of study to establish this.

I imagine the answer I was supposed to give was I would assume it was the explanation given to me, ie God did it. This is the mistake so common among theists. You think that any explanation is good enough so long as it explains what happened, even if you have no idea if it actually is the current explanation.

So Moses says "That was God who did that" we are supposed to not question, because after all who else could do it? Well actually if we are happy to suppose that supernatural deities exist then pretty much any of them. Moses claims it is God, but the only people who would simply accept that are those who already believe. I'm sure if you talked to an Egyptian that day he would say it was Ra.
    That your memory was playing tricks? That maybe you just asked for something to happen and this just happened to be the next to occur?

Pretty much. If we assume it was a supernatural event why would we also assume it was the supernatural event that Moses claims it was?

For example, if you talked to an Egyptian and was told it was Ra punishing the Egyptians for mistreatment of slaves, how would you tell whether Moses or the Egyptian was telling the truth?
    That you need to write the command down in the front of scientific witnesses and then ask God to do it all again, just to make sure?
    That would be a start. Theism has always had a problem with the fact that their gods cannot be modeled and tested, and as such we still have thousands of religions, where as we have one theory of electricity.

You problem see this as a good thing, a test of faith?
    Even the Egyptian experts were not so skeptical: :D
    Exodus 8:18 Now the magicians so worked with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not. So there were lice on man and beast. 19 Then the magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” But Pharaoh’s heart grew hard, and he did not heed them, just as the LORD had said.

Which god? The Egyptians believe in many.
    It doesn't have to be naturally impossible events to make an obvious miracle - just the event coming at the requested junction.

Nonsense. People pray all the time, there are billions of "requested junctions", the odds that a natural event will line up with one of these some where is very probable. I'm sure the Israelites were praying constantly as they tried to flee Egypt.

A far more likely explanation is that a parting of shallow water occurred through wind that allowed the Israelites to cross yet the next day when the Egyptians arrived the wind had died down. This is a natural and reasonably well understood phenomena now, but to the Israelites it would have seen just what they needed.

Of course if it hadn't happened they would have died and you would probably be worshiping Athena now. History remembers the time when seemingly miraculous events occur and easily forgets when they don't. Just like people.
    If we posted recorders at the locality and measured how many times the sea opened like this over a millennia, do you think we would see anything? But let's be generous and say we get a parting once every century - that's one day in 365x100 = 36,500 to 1. Unless you insist Israel will come to that spot more than once - at bit difficult in view of the pursuing Egyptian army.

Yes but you are making the fatal mistake of retroactively assuming the particular outcome was the desired one.

This is exactly the sort of cognitive bias I'm talking about, the thing you say you don't do.

Take your once a century occurring "miracle". Now, what are the odds that it will happen when there is someone around to record it happening. Very high.

Narrow it down a bit, what are the odds that it will happen when someone is trying to cross. Probably not as high but still pretty high.

So the Israelites were the people trying to cross at the time. Good for them, but if it had been someone else then the story would have been written down by them as their god doing something miraculous for them. The Israelites would have perished and we would have never heard from them again.

You see what you did there, the cognitive bias I'm talking about. You assume it was very unlikely because you are trying to get one particular outcome, the one that happened, rather than looking at what outcome would still count as a "hit" rather than a "miss" in terms of pattern matching to a miraculous event.

If you do this in your own life no wonder you think you are consistently experiencing miracles.
    If I witnessed the conjunction of Moses' command and the sea parting, and the sea return at his word, I would draw the conclusion that something very unlikely had happened.

I know. That is the issue (see above)
    Seems to me the idea that some mutations have advantage and therefore the organism tends to survive better is simple enough for any one to understand.

The difficulty I have is seeing how the fully functioning organism came to be in the first place, to allow mutations any possibility of giving it an edge.

The theory of evolution doesn't say a fully functioning organism just come to be.

Says it evolved from unicellar life which itself evolved from proto-cell life which evolved from self replicating molecules.

If you don't understand what evolution actually says how can you know it is wrong?
    It had to start with the simplest form and advance, banking each mutation until enough of them existed to make a beneficial information sequence. As JC has often pointed out, the maths for that makes the miracles of the Bible look small beer. O, Atheist, great is your faith!

No, that isn't actually wha JC is pointing out, even if what you said was correct.

JC's maths (incorrect as they are) are the odds that a protein would just randomly form. Since there is no theory of biological evolution that supposes a protein did just randomly form this is utterly irrelevant to the discussion (its like saying the theory that Jesus was a hamster is not Biblically supported). This has been pointed out to JC many many times but he continues to insist this is "proof" that God made life. That should speak to his sincerity in this debate.

As for "banking each mutation" it is true that it can be a few mutations that on their own do little but when combined have a survival advantage, but the way you put it implies that that evolution must some how know which ones to save. It doesn't work like that, evolution is not forward thinking.
    It's amazing how I drive hundreds of miles every work night, and still manage to find my way home. All those possibilities that my observations and memory are faulty. But maybe you reckon only 'spiritual' matters are beyond belief.

People get lost all the time. I imagine the hundreds of miles you drive are largely helped by the numerous sign posts along the way.

Again empirical study helping human memory because human memory is poor. That is why we make maps and put up sign posts.
    Again, most of these things are not open to check after the event.

That doesn't mean they are accurate. Saying God can't be tested is irrelevant to whether you are accurately reporting what you have experienced. Some claim doesn't become accurate simply because you can't figure out a way to test it. Quite the opposite in fact, accepting things that you can't assess just speaks to cognitive bias.
    One would need to record the prayer before the answer came. Excitable people often make wild claims, but that does not address the possibility of non-excitable people being accurate in their reports.

Yes, that is exactly what one would need to do. For example this is what people do in the studies about whether prayer helps sick people.

How excitable the person thinks they are is rather irrelevant since most people don't retroactively admit they were excited or being anything other than clear headed.
    I'm all for revealing the truth.
    You don't appear to be. You seem all for accepting the first explanation that comes along.
    If one can show a claim is unsupported, then good. Society is full of bogus spiritual claims. I just point out that saying all spiritual claims are unsupported and unreliable/unknowable by those who claim to experience them is also unsupported.

Like I said, if anyone can actually demonstrate something is of significance is actually happening come forward and demonstrate it. And then collect your Nobel Prize.

The problem so far is that no one can, and when they can't various excuses such as God doesn't like to be tested, are rolled out. A far more reasonable explanation is that people are simply misinterpreting what they experience. They wouldn't be the first. You guys happily say that other religions are doing this, yet seem shocked at the suggestion that you probably are as well.
    A couple of examples - Others witnessed at least one of the events:
    An unbeliever, who put the coincidence of my prayer and the critical outcome down to amazing 'luck'.

And? Did either of you attempt to assess what it actually was? Or are you expecting your friend to be more able to assess based on personal judgement than you are, and thus if he says it was "amazing luck" that means it was?
    Could I have imagined I prayed for that outcome? Only if I can have imagined my time at secondary school, for example.

I'm pretty sure you imagine things in secondary school that didn't actually happen, this would not be uncommon at all. I remember playing a game of basket ball in the new sports hall and getting into a fight. The only problem was I remember this in 3rd year and the new hall wasn't built till 5th year. My memory is filling in details that aren't actually present and shaping how I remember them.

I'm not suggesting you didn't pray. But the idea that can accurately recall exactly what you prayed for is unsupported. It might be correct, but you wouldn't know if your memory is faulty, which is why in scientific studies people are asked to write down exactly what they just prayed for.
    Your ability to know anything is determined by such scientific testing? You must live a very nebulous existence, unsure of everything you experience!
    I am unsure of everything I experience, I highly recommend it. It stops you being manipulated by the first person to come along and give you an explanation.
    No, I didn't do it. God did it for me. Big difference.

That is my point. You already had to have it demonstrated to you. Your problem was that your standards weren't very high, and as such you were left with a conclusion you can't support.

There is no reason to believe that if God actually exists he won't demonstrate himself to people who have better standards than you.
    Thankfully I do not have to exist in that sceptical limbo.
    The fact that you consider it a bad thing again speaks to cognitive bias. You accept the answer because it is an answer that is pleasing, both emotionally and mentally. Whether or not it is true comes a distant second.
    My experience of God's goodness to me is not a matter of doubtful experiences long ago or today, but of life-changing experiences then and now. It works.

Of course it works. Religion has always worked, there are thousands of religions around the world who's followers all say it works.

The issue is though that it doesn't work for the reasons the religions claim. Scientology does not make you happier because you have dead aliens in your head. Christianity does not make you happier because you enter into a relationship with God/Jesus.

They all work because all religions fit a particular pleasing and comforting narrative, a story designed to appeal to various aspects of the way we process the world around us.
    Certainly, but you will be behaving rashly if you do.

I'll take my chances. Unless you want to explain why your explanation is any better than any of the other thousand or so explanations for all the other religions?

Let me guess, they are all deluded and following Satan. Christians alone know they are following the true religion. ;)
    You seem to be confused about the nature of science and spiritual reality. Science can only speak about material things, based on physical observation and testing. Science can test scientific claims; it can even test a person's observation and memory ability. But it cannot test whether anyone's claim to a spiritual experience is true or false.

Correct. Which means neither can you. Because if you could so could science, since science is just people.

You can continue to believe the explanation put forth by what ever religion happens to be dominate in the region you were born in, but that is not the same thing.

You don't hold these personal assessments up to the same standard because you really really want them to be true. Science doesn't have the luxury, it is trying to find out what actually is true, not what the individual scientists hope is true.

The fact that you happily use unsupportable personal assessment to accept things about the world yet rail at science for the way it opperates just speaks to the hypocracy at the heart of Creationism.
    When you say such claims are unsupported, and by inference not worth considering as possibly true, you go beyond scientific capability. You are then making assessments based on your atheistic bias, not science.

Have you ever wondered why you are able to do this but science can't?

J C wrote: »
    If your programmes crash every time there is a single change in your code you must be a very poor programmer indeed ... as you haven't built in sufficient redundancy and/or self checking/correction abilities into your programmes ... like the Intelligent Designer(s) of life did!!!

You apparently aren't a programmer JC, since you want your program to crash when there is a bug because you don't want unpredictable results.

I'll put this down as another area you apparently know little about.

Any change you can get around to answering my questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

OK I'll grant you that. But apart from that do you still think its nothing like how computers process information?

Why do you think they are similar ?

I never understood this view. I'm not really involved in programming but I do work in IT, and I've never understood why people think this.
    EDIT: And how advanced would a computer programmer be if he or she could write a program that could somehow utilize any errors that may occur to enlarge the program's ability to become more advanced rather than breakdown? That would take some doing wouldn't it?

What do you mean ?

A program that becomes more advanced on it's own ? To do what ?

A computer program is basically a set of instructions for what we want the computer to do. If the computer does less or more than it's specified functionality than it's not doing what we want it to do is it ?

Say I have an ATM machine and the software for it works as specified.

What would you think would be a desirable 'advancement' ?

Improbable wrote: »
    Heredity and various proofreading proteins handle the problem of sequence integrity perfectly well.
    ... so not only do we have Complex Specified Functional Information in proteins themselves ... you now admit that we also have proof-reading proteins that correct mistakes in protein transcription ... so how could some blind chemistry produce a proof-reading machine ... and how could such a machine identify and rectify mistakes in transcription, unless such information was programmed into it by deliberate Intelligent Design??

... your use of the word 'mistakes' implies a 'correct' programmed recipe for producing the protein ... which implies Intelligent Design.

monosharp wrote: »
    Why do you think they are similar ?

I never understood this view. I'm not really involved in programming but I do work in IT, and I've never understood why people think this.

Similarities between biochemistry and computer science

There are some very striking similarities between computer programs and biochemistry. Within DNA you’ll find sequences with various “flow control” signals. E.g. the sequences AUG, TAA, TAG, and TGA have special meaning to the ribosomes that actually take DNA and translate it into proteins. One signal (AUG) tells the ribosome where to start translating the mRNA to protein, and the other three are stop signals, telling the ribosome it has finished the current protein being produced. You can even observe boolean logic within cells. The production of lactose-metabolizing enzymes within E. Coli can be modeled with boolean logic or pseudo code.

if glucose_levels_low and lactose_present: produce_lactose_digesting_enzymes()

The production of proteins and enzymes can also be modular. Genetic information is stored in such a way that the constituents of a protein act like software plugins. There are plugins (called domains) that allow proteins to bind to DNA, or to bind to RNA, or to bind to hormones, or modify RNA, and the list goes on. These “plugins” basically have some kind of functionality that can be present on many different enzymes. There may be hundreds of proteins out there that work with DNA, and each of them might have a module that allows them to attach to DNA. Rather than each enzyme independently mutating and evolving a DNA binding site, they might just swap it around, which is strikingly similar to code sharing and modularity among software.

The similarities are fascinating and seem endless among computer systems and biochemical systems. Perhaps since we’re composed of biochemical “software” and “machinery”, it’s only natural that our computer systems behave in the same manner.

Allow me to quote mine: "DNA is like a computer program, but far, far more advanced than any software we've ever created." Bill Gates

I take it that Bill knows what he's talking about?
    What do you mean ?

A program that becomes more advanced on it's own ? To do what ?

Well imagine a self upgrading version of MS Word? That would be cool wouldn't it?
    A computer program is basically a set of instructions for what we want the computer to do. If the computer does less or more than it's specified functionality than it's not doing what we want it to do is it ?

Well of course not. But what if it was programed to adapt and change then it would be doing what it was programmed to do wouldn't it?
    Say I have an ATM machine and the software for it works as specified.

What would you think would be a desirable 'advancement' ?

If it was somehow able to adapt to ATM card fraud then that would cool too.

Wicknight wrote: »
    You apparently aren't a programmer JC, since you want your program to crash when there is a bug because you don't want unpredictable results.

I'll put this down as another area you apparently know little about.
    I happen to have Computer Science qualifications ... so that's another invalid conclusion by your good self!!!

... and the thing with good programming is to build in sufficient redundancy that the programme neither crashes nor becomes unstable when processing data extremes!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I happen to have Computer Science qualifications ... so that's another invalid conclusion by your good self!!!

... and the thing with good programming is to build in sufficient redundancy that the programme neither crashes nor becomes unstable when processing data extremes!!!

If I were to randomly mention some sort of discipline, area of academia or interest and then introduce it to this thread as debate I get the feeling that you will claim some sort of qualification in the mentioned area.... :confused:

and how could such a machine identify and rectify mistakes in transcription, unless such information was programmed into it by deliberate Intelligent Design??

Care to explain the motives of said intelligent designer when he was churning out such wonderful designs as the Acanthamoeba, Anisakis,Ascaris lumbricoides, Botfly, Balantidium coli, Cestoda (tapeworm), Chiggers, Cochliomyia hominivorax, Entamoeba histolytica, Fasciola hepatica, Giardia,
    Hookworm, Leishmania, Linguatula serrata, Liver fluke, Loa loa, Paragonimus - lung flukem, Pinworm, Plasmodium falciparum, Schistosoma, Strongyloides, stercoralis etc. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_parasitic_diseases

Perhaps you could go to Africa and give a speech about this intelligent designers designs and why he saw fit to create such lovable parasites like the ones infecting children's bodies. Maybe you'd like to tell them how he 'works in mysterious ways' and that he really 'loves them' at the same time as some of his other 'designs' work their way through their bodies.

Out of curiosity JC what's your explanation for HIV and AIDs again ? What did the intelligent designer design them for ? What's their purpose ?

Allow me to quote mine: "DNA is like a computer program, but far, far more advanced than any software we've ever created." Bill Gates

... the Materialist will only accept that Bill Gates knows what he is talking about when it comes to computer programming, if his words don't threaten the Materialists 'worldview' ... and if they do, the Materialists will deny that he said them ... and when they are forced 'roaring and kicking' to admit that Bill did say these words ... they will accuse you of 'quote mining' ... and they will then deny that the words mean what they clearly mean!!!!

The alternative strategy is to point out that Bill Gates isn't a Biologist ... and then dismiss his comments about DNA on this basis.
    Conversely, they will dismiss similar comments from a Biologist on the basis that s/he isn't a Computer Scientist ... and thus they can continue to hide behind their very own 'Catch 22'!!!

If I were to randomly mention some sort of discipline, area of academia or interest and then introduce it to this thread as debate I get the feeling that you will claim some sort of qualification in the mentioned area.... :confused:
    ... I only claim qualifications that I possess ... and my writings on each subject that I claim to be qualified in proves that I am!!!

Care to explain the motives of said intelligent designer when he was churning out such wonderful designs as the Acanthamoeba, Anisakis,Ascaris lumbricoides, Botfly, Balantidium coli, Cestoda (tapeworm), Chiggers, Cochliomyia hominivorax, Entamoeba histolytica, Fasciola hepatica, Giardia,
    Hookworm, Leishmania, Linguatula serrata, Liver fluke, Loa loa, Paragonimus - lung flukem, Pinworm, Plasmodium falciparum, Schistosoma, Strongyloides, stercoralis etc. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_parasitic_diseases

Perhaps you could go to Africa and give a speech about this intelligent designers designs and why he saw fit to create such lovable parasites like the ones infecting children's bodies. Maybe you'd like to tell them how he 'works in mysterious ways' and that he really 'loves them' at the same time as some of his other 'designs' work their way through their bodies.
    ... all part and parcel of a good and perfect creation gone bad ... at the Fall.

The similarities are fascinating and seem endless among computer systems and biochemical systems. Perhaps since we’re composed of biochemical “software” and “machinery”, it’s only natural that our computer systems behave in the same manner.

The similarities are superficial and that article is nonsensical. Let's take a look at it;
    The production of lactose-metabolizing enzymes within E. Coli can be modeled with boolean logic or pseudo code.

if glucose_levels_low and lactose_present:
    produce_lactose_digesting_enzymes()

Can't you see the problem here yourself ? You can model anything this way.

if wife_angry_yes and beer_supply_low;
    goto tesco.

Well you've slightly changed from what you said earlier. Are you saying DNA is like computer code or like a computer program ?

Superfically yes there are similarities but when you get down to any level of detail they are completely different.

For example, DNA is largely composed of junk that does nothing.
    Well imagine a self upgrading version of MS Word? That would be cool wouldn't it?

Self upgrading to what ? From MS word 97 to MS word 2000 etc that's what you mean ?
    Well of course not. But what if it was programed to adapt and change then it would be doing what it was programmed to do wouldn't it?

Adapt and change to what ?

If I write software for an ATM today, what does it need to adapt to next week or next year ? what change would make it better ?

• Advertisement

Welcome. I see you've started to find your way around. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Five years and you finally tell us what your scientific qualifications are. No surprise that it has nothing to do with biology.

... the Materialist will only accept that Bill Gates knows what he is talking about when it comes to computer programming,

Well just to point something out. Mr Gates was a programmer and he did write some software and he did even work on some Microsoft projects until the late 80's. Was he a great programmer ? Basically no he wasn't. He didn't really do anything substantial in the field.

What he did do was opportunism and business innovation.

But yes for arguments sake I'll accept he knows what he's talking about when it comes to computer programming.
    if his words don't threaten the Materialists 'worldview' ... and if they do, the Materialists will deny that he said them

Quick question because as someone involved in IT I don't know a lot about Mr Gates biological qualifications. Where did he get his degree in biology from ? :rolleyes:

Gates is an authority on IT. Gates is not an authority on biology.

This quote is not even an argument from authority because Gates has no authority to speak about DNA.

... all part and parcel of a good and perfect creation gone bad ... at the Fall.

Oh right. And where's the mathematical proof for that ? Or any proof ? Or any kind of evidence ?

Let me guess you'll either ignore me or reply with some indecipherable rant with a minimum of 9 smiley's.

Well you've slightly changed from what you said earlier. Are you saying DNA is like computer code or like a computer program ?

You can't have a computer program without the code. And you can't have the code without a programmer. My main point is that DNA is like computer code but as Bill Gates says it is much much more advanced. As I said earlier, it codes for three dimensional structures in the real world. Computer code only codes for two dimensional entities in a virtual world created by humans. Computer hardware reads every character that is input into it as a series of 0s and 1s. For example if you type the letter 'A' on your keyboard the computer reads it as follows: [SIZE=-1]01000001. A DNA sequence could be any combination of ATCG bases that are sequenced in a particular way. If you add or remove one of those bases in the sequence it will produce either a different protein or a non functional mess.[/SIZE]
    Superfically yes there are similarities but when you get down to any level of detail they are completely different.

For example, DNA is largely composed of junk that does nothing.

That so called Junk DNA you refer to is called Junk DNA because it appears to have no coding for protein folding. However this so called Junk DNA is anything but.

From Wiki:

Junk DNA, a term that was introduced in 1972 by Susumu Ohno, was a provisional label for the portions of a genome sequence for which no discernible function had been identified. According to a 1980 review in Nature by Leslie Orgel and Francis Crick, junk DNA has "little specificity and conveys little or no selective advantage to the organism". The term is currently, however, an outdated concept, being used mainly in popular science and in a colloquial way in scientific publications, and may have slowed research into the biological functions of noncoding DNA. Several lines of evidence indicate that many "junk DNA" sequences are likely to have unidentified functional activity, and other sequences may have had functions in the past.
    Self upgrading to what ? From MS word 97 to MS word 2000 etc that's what you mean ?

Yeah.
    If I write software for an ATM today, what does it need to adapt to next week or next year ? what change would make it better ?

The term better is relative. It would depend on what you want it to do given a certain set of preconceived circumstances that may arise that you'd want it to adapt or react to.

My main point is that DNA is like computer code but as Bill Gates says it is much much more advanced.

Again I'd like to point out that Mr Gates has no qualifications whatsoever in Biology.
    Computer code only codes for two dimensional entities in a virtual world created by humans.

What kind of computer code are you talking about ?

Programming languages (human-readable) at the basic level simply model mathematical algorithms.

What do you mean two dimensional ? there isn't a limit on dimensions, well theoretically there isn't.
    A DNA sequence could be any combination of ATCG bases that are sequenced in a particular way. If you add or remove one of those bases in the sequence it will produce either a different protein or a non functional mess.

Or do nothing at all.

Again I don't see how this applies. You can just as easily say Chemistry is similar to computer code. Or if I bang my fist off the keyboard, that's similar to DNA.

Again I'd like to point out that Mr Gates has no qualifications whatsoever in Biology.

So when Bill Gates says something like that in response to what he has learned about DNA in biology he is just speaking out of school? BG is the founder of the Microsoft corporation one of the most successful companies ever, so he knows a thing or two about computer code. His qualifications in Biology don't have to add up to much in order for him to make this observation. Wicknight has no qualifications in Biology either and yet his statement(s) that DNA has is nothing like computer code goes unchallenged by you. Why is that?
    What kind of computer code are you talking about ?

Just the basic stuff - binary.
    Programming languages (human-readable) at the basic level simply model mathematical algorithms.

Yes but somebody originally modeled the algorithms? Algorithms are rules or sets of instructions for solving certainty types of problems. At some point somebody originally created them, and created them for a purpose.
    What do you mean two dimensional ? there isn't a limit on dimensions, well theoretically there isn't.

Computer screens. Monitors etc. What you see on your monitor that looks like the letter 'A' is a computer hardware simulation of [SIZE=-1]01000001. You type A on your keyboard, the computer understands this as [SIZE=-1]01000001, but transmits it to the screen as A so that you can understand it. This all takes place in a virtual two dimensional space. Normal jigsaws are two dimensional, however the new globe shaped jigsaw are three dimensional. Protein formation is three dimensional[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Again I don't see how this applies. You can just as easily say Chemistry is similar to computer code. Or if I bang my fist off the keyboard, that's similar to DNA.

Chemistry is only like computer code if you align certain chemicals in a particular sequence. Likewise depending on how I structure my sentences you will either discern meaning or you will get ncsuifuahu;fbloie sfufsiiWU ZCB\ICP\ . If I bang my fists on my keyboard I get jumxdfz. Meaninglessness. Same with how bases are sequenced in DNA. If just one base is not in sequence properly then you will not get a functional protein as result. Amino acids are organic chemicals and depending on how they are folded three dimensionally will determine what is produced. Getting the right sequence will produce a functional protein. Getting the wrong sequence will produce garbage. This folding is coded for in the sequences of nucleotide bases in the DNA strand. If just one base is not in the right place no functional protein will be produced and hence potentially no life for the organism. The thing is this, the sequences of the nucleotide bases are already preprogrammed in the DNA strand. How did it get there? How did the blueprint for life get hard coded in the sequences of nucleotide bases in the first place?

This question is at the crux of this whole debate. If it cannot be shown how those instructions could have some how come about by natural means (and that hasn't been shown) then there is just one option left to consider, i.e. it was designed that way by a designer. And if we can infer design at this molecular level of living systems then we can also infer design right up to the macro level. We look the way we do because of our DNA, so if our DNA was designed then we were designed. Natural processes and evolution may have played a part in that development along the way but underneath it all is a design conceived in the mind of a designer. We might even go so far as to suggest that the laws that govern the natural processes themselves might have been set in motion by the same designer, but one thing at a time...

So when Bill Gates says something like that in response to what he has learned about DNA in biology he is just speaking out of school?

Well if you didn't just accept the quote mine then you'd see that's exactly where he was speaking out of.

Chapter 9 of his book - The Road Ahead
    We have all had teachers who made a difference. I had a great chemistry teacher in high school who made his subject immensely interesting. Chemistry seemed enthralling compared to biology. In biology, we were dissecting frogs - just hacking them to pieces, actually - and our teacher didn't explain why. My chemistry teacher sensationalized his subject a bit and promised that it would help us understand the world. When I was in my twenties, I read James D. Watson's "Molecular Biology of the Gene" and decided my high school experience had misled me. The understanding of life is a great subject. Biological information is the most important information we can discover, because over the next several decades it will revolutionize medicine. Human DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created. It seems amazing to me now that one great teacher made chemistry endlessly fascinating while I found biology totally boring.

He's talking about his experiences in high school and his experiences in education as a whole. He later read one book about biology and then made this statement.
    BG is the founder of the Microsoft corporation one of the most successful companies ever, so he knows a thing or two about computer code.

Yeah and Mark Zuckerberg made Facebook. Doesn't mean he's a 'great' programmer.

If you want an authority on software you need to look at people who create new technology. Not people that were business opportunists/innovators.
    His qualifications in Biology don't have to add up to much in order for him to make this observation.

So because he's an authority on computer technology / Software (I refuse to say he's an authority on computer science) he's now an authority on Biology as well ? Come on now, you don't believe that anymore than I do.
    Wicknight has no qualifications in Biology either and yet his statement(s) that DNA has is nothing like computer code goes unchallenged by you. Why is that?

Because he's correct. Because while I'm not technically a programmer and neither am I a biologist I have a lot of interest in both fields. Because of this interest I read a lot of material on the subject and can see that they are very different indeed. I can read the views of actual experts in both fields, that of biology and computer science. DNA and computer code could be called superficially similar yes but go into any depth and they are completely different.
    Yes but somebody originally modeled the algorithms? Algorithms are rules or sets of instructions for solving certainty types of problems. At some point somebody originally created them, and created them for a purpose.

Of course.
    Computer screens. Monitors etc. What you see on your monitor that looks like the letter 'A' is a computer hardware simulation of [SIZE=-1]01000001. You type A on your keyboard, the computer understands this as [SIZE=-1]01000001, but transmits it to the screen as A so that you can understand it. This all takes place in a virtual two dimensional space. Normal jigsaws are two dimensional, however the new globe shaped jigsaw are three dimensional. Protein formation is three dimensional[/SIZE][/SIZE]

The screen is a two dimensional display for human readability.

Computers, like math, model many numbers of dimensions. The display device has nothing to do with it except for how we perceive it.
    Chemistry is only like computer code if you align certain chemicals in a particular sequence.

Biology = Advanced Chemistry.

Maybe you haven't met my friend, Mr DNA.

Chemical structure of DNA. Hydrogen bonds shown as dotted lines.
    500px-DNA_chemical_structure.svg.png
    How did it get there? How did the blueprint for life get hard coded in the sequences of nucleotide bases in the first place?

Getting off topic aren't we ?

Did you ever manage to read about the proposed hypothesis' for Abiogenesis ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
    This question is at the crux of this whole debate. If it cannot be shown how those instructions could have some how come about by natural means (and that hasn't been shown) then there is just one option left to consider, i.e. it was designed that way by a designer.

How do you make that jump ? Isn't it possible that 'shock horror' we simply don't know yet ?

And again, have you read about Abiogenesis yet ? Because I don't think you have.

I happen to have Computer Science qualifications ...

I seriously doubt that.
    and the thing with good programming is to build in sufficient redundancy that the programme neither crashes nor becomes unstable when processing data extremes!!!

Who said anything about processing data? There is no issue with a programme handling different forms of data. You claimed that a programme should just continue if there are errors in the code itself, which isn't something a first year computer science student would claim, let alone someone who works as a software developer.

• Advertisement

So when Bill Gates says something like that in response to what he has learned about DNA in biology he is just speaking out of school? BG is the founder of the Microsoft corporation one of the most successful companies ever, so he knows a thing or two about computer code. His qualifications in Biology don't have to add up to much in order for him to make this observation. Wicknight has no qualifications in Biology either and yet his statement(s) that DNA has is nothing like computer code goes unchallenged by you. Why is that?

Probably because I know more about DNA than Bill Gates.

Which isn't particularly surprising, Gates' comments were made in 1995 based on his high school biology classes in the early 1970s. His comments are in a chapter of his book about education in America, and were to do with how we need more science education. He was not making any form of Creationist statement, despite his quote being quote minded by various Creationist sites.
    Just the basic stuff - binary.
    Binary isn't computer code. Binary is 1s and 0s that can be used to represent anything. The bar code on your post is binary, it isn't a software program.

Are you suggesting that DNA code is doing mathematics? Because it isn't.

Wow, ok where to start. First of all the only 2 dimensional bit of any of this memory of your graphics card. This has a memory location for each pixel on your monitor and everytime the screen refreshes the graphics card reads the color information from these memory locations colors the pixel.

The actual CPU can handle any sort of mathematics, you can use a computer to model 11 dimensional M-theory, let alone three dimensional proteins.

That is because computer code is nothing like DNA. DNA is simply chemistry, it produces output based on the rules of chemistry.

A computer program can make output based on any rules you want. You want to model 11 dimensional space? All you have to do is construct a mathematical model of this and write the program to do this.

This is what I said earlier, there is is no logic in a DNA sequence.
    Likewise depending on how I structure my sentences you will either discern meaning or you will get ncsuifuahu;fbloie sfufsiiWU ZCB\ICP\ . If I bang my fists on my keyboard I get jumxdfz. Meaninglessness. Same with how bases are sequenced in DNA. If just one base is not in sequence properly then you will not get a functional protein as result.

And no one cares. You think there is meaning here, there isn't.

No one is understanding the DNA sequence, and as such there is no problem if a mutation takes place producing a new sequence. You can't misunderstand DNA. The process doesn't stop because an unrecognized output comes out. It produces a protein like everything else, and then nature selects if the result.

If the computer hardware doesn't recognize the software code is stops, because there is meaning and a change from the desired meaning matters. You could make a computer where any input would produce some output and the input could mutate. But since meaning is important in software development no one does this.
    Amino acids are organic chemicals and depending on how they are folded three dimensionally will determine what is produced. Getting the right sequence will produce a functional protein. Getting the wrong sequence will produce garbage.
    No, it will produce another functional protein. There is no "wrong" sequence.
    This question is at the crux of this whole debate. If it cannot be shown how those instructions could have some how come about by natural means (and that hasn't been shown) then there is just one option left to consider, i.e. it was designed that way by a designer.

Firstly that isn't the only other option, that is the only other option you are prepared to consider because you are trying to get a particular answer, rather than following the evidence.

Secondly, not showing something doesn't mean it can't have happened. Until a 100 years ago we couldn't show how the atom worked. That didn't mean it didn't work :rolleyes:

Thirdly, no one but Creationists have any issue with RNA and DNA evolving. The only people who say this can't happen are Creationists with religious motivations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement