Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

I must admit that I prefer your view of salvation to others I have heard but I think evolution is the key to survival.
    God is a loving and just God.
    He loves you as His child ... but you need to freely choose to accept His loving mercy in order to be Saved.

Evolution is a highly over-rated (and often exaggerated) natural phenomenon ... but the key to your spiritual survival and salvation is Jesus Christ!!!

BTW Evolution has nothing to do, even with your physical survival ... that is entirely up to the interaction of your genotype with your environment ... with a very hefty dollop of free will (and Divine protection) thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

J C wrote: »
    God is a loving and just God.
    He loves you as His child ... but you need to freely choose to accept His loving mercy in order to be Saved.

Evolution is a highly over-rated (and often exaggerated) natural phenomenon ... but the key to your spiritual survival and salvation is Jesus Christ!!!

I don't think that Spirituality necessarily precludes evolution though.

In fact, suppose science does uncover a mechanism that can produce new genetic information; I don't think, and I wouldn't support the view, that the question of God would have necessarily been settled.

But those who deny evolution in support of God are making a rod for their own backs; if they are wrong about evolution, what else are they wrong about? The argument for God could be undermined if the impression is that the views given by religious people are based solely on any inadequacy of science. Science tends to address its inadequcies.

On the other hand, science, in its examination of phenomena, may provide, in time, the most compelling argument in support of God in the form of empirical data.

Maybe science already found God but mistakenly named Him 'quarks'.

I don't think that Spirituality necessarily precludes evolution though.
    That is true ... but if the spontaneous generation of CFSI is ever demonstrated, then the personal God of the Bible and the claims of Creation made by Him would have to be seriously questioned by even the most ardent Christian. We might become polytheists/pantheists of some kind ... but conventional Christian Faith would be effectively destroyed. Indeed that was why Darwin was concerned that his theory of Materialistic Evolution would devastate Christianity (which he seems to have had a lingering affinity with ... even though he had lost faith in it.)
    Darwins concerns were somewhat premature, as it turns out ... as the progress that he expected (with scientifically proving molecules to Man Evolution) hasn't happened ... and the reverse has actually happened with the discovery of the awesome extent of the CFSI in living cells !!!

In fact, suppose science does uncover a mechanism that can produce new genetic information; I don't think, and I wouldn't support the view, that the question of God would have necessarily been settled.

If this occurred, (and a mechanism that can produce novel genetic information with the potential to explain the production of CFSI on the scale found in living organisms) then the question of the God of the Bible would be effectively settled ... in the negative ...
    ... of course, proposals could be made along current Theistic Evolutionist lines ... but it would be special pleading of the highest degree, if a purely materialistic mechanism that generated CFSI had been dscovered, to continue to argue that God could also have done it.
    Alternatively some kind of pantheistic belief that God is everything or within all natural forces could also be proposed ... but again this would also be special pleading for pretty much the same reason as outlined above.

But those who deny evolution in support of God are making a rod for their own backs; if they are wrong about evolution, what else are they wrong about? The argument for God could be undermined if the impression is that the views given by religious people are based solely on any inadequacy of science. Science tends to address its inadequcies.
    The Creation Science argument isn't that science is 'inadequate' ... the argument is that science is simply wrong ... when it pronounces that Evolution is a scientific fact!!!!

I accept your point that Creation Science would be quite weak (and a hostage to fortune) if it was solely based on the inadequacies of Evolution Theory ... but it is also based on the adequacy of the Creation Theory of which CFSI is a major scientifically verifiable support.

On the other hand, science, in its examination of phenomena, may provide, in time, the most compelling argument in support of God in the form of empirical data.

Maybe science already found God but mistakenly named Him 'quarks'.
    Science has already found the 'fingerprint' of God ... and rejected it by rejecting CFSI and ID ... on the (self-serving) basis that science should not consider supernatural hypotheses ... even if they are the best (and only viable) current hypotheses.

The Creation Science argument isn't that science is 'inadequate' ... the argument is that science is simply wrong ... when it pronounces that Evolution is a scientific fact!!!!

I don't think that you have really argued against evolution though, have you?

Your objection to evolutionary science seem to proceed from an argument about the 'first cause'.

The main difference between Creationists/IDists and Evolutionists is that Creationists base their science on a theory whereas Evolutionists base their theory on science.

But what that means ultimately is that if Creationists are right then Evolutionists would have to come to the same conclusion through scientific enquiry eventually but if Creationists are wrong, Evolutionists are still in the game.

The point is that Evolution benefits either way. And let's face it, ID is relying on evolutionary science to back up its own claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

They are Peppered Moths

LOL. Well done for not answering the question and just sending me to Wikipedia. You will also notice I didn't ask you what species they were.

As I asked, verify that they are still a "moth". You could start by giving me the scientific description of what is or isn't a "moth".

• Advertisement

Science has already found the 'fingerprint' of God ... and rejected it by rejecting CFSI and ID ... on the (self-serving) basis that science should not consider supernatural hypotheses ... even if they are the best (and only viable) current hypotheses.

Do you believe that God wants to be found by science?

Do you believe that God wants to be found by science?
    Yes ... God wants to be found (and can be found) by everybody!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Of course he wants to be found in science. That's why he created the universe to be largely hazardous to life and so that whenever any detail of the universe is honestly studied... he will be nowhere to find. It's also why he lets the devil place things on earth which contradict the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

liamw wrote: »
    Wolfsbane, out of interest... do you think that someone can be both an evolutionist and a true christian at the same time? From what I understand J.C. thinks you cannot...
    From all I have read of JC, he believes one can be a true Christian and an evolutionist. As do I.

They ought not to believe in evolution, since it cannot be reconciled with the Bible - but they are confused on the issue and find it easier to hope that it will eventually be reconciled. Many Christians believe many silly doctrines that cannot be reconciled with the Bible, but their prejudice or conditioning lets them hold on it, in the hope that it will be reconciled.

1 Corinthians 1:26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

Wicknight wrote: »
    You agree I hope that the scientific one shouldn't be referencing the Bible for support?
    Yes. It should only present scientific argument. For example, we can know the earth is a recent creation by an appeal to Genesis - but we cannot scientifically prove it by that appeal. We can state our presupposition that the Earth is a recent creation, and then back that claim up with scientific argument. The presupposition is not the scientific argument - not for creationists, not for evolutionists.

Isaiah 55:
    6 Seek the LORD while He may be found,
    Call upon Him while He is near.
    7 Let the wicked forsake his way,
    And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
    Let him return to the LORD,
    And He will have mercy on him;
    And to our God,
    For He will abundantly pardon.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Wow, every single point in that is a lie that has been repeatably contradicted with evidence on this thread.

And yet Wolfsbane thanked it. Really makes you wonder if we are wasting our time with Wolfsbane. Some times he seems like he is genuinely interested, and others he just seems like your standard Creationist.

Sad really, that a pretend Christian troll like JC can spread such ignorance.
    Wolfsbane is more impressed by the testimony of scientists to their persecution by the establishment, than by the excuses offered for their (undeniable) punishment. He has read justification of this treatment that sounds positively Stalinist, right here on this thread. Such is the power of the evolutionary delusion. People just get mad, go crazy at any challenge to this modern 'faith'.

If it were just science, a more relaxed approach could be expected. But it is a spiritual matter, a challenge to the zeitgeist of this age.

****************************************************************************
    1 Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

I found this interesting......Debunking Evolution.

http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Wolfsbane is more impressed by the testimony of scientists to their persecution by the establishment, than by the excuses offered for their (undeniable) punishment.

Why? You think just because a scientist is ignored (or "persecuted" as you put it) by the scientific community it means he is on to something?
    He has read justification of this treatment that sounds positively Stalinist, right here on this thread.

You have? Can you link to this "Stalinist" persecution of scientists? Does it involve banning, censorship and forced labour prison camps?

Or is it more the "That is unscientific nonsense, we aren't publishing it" type of Stalinism. Stalin was a stickler for scientific standards, apparently :p
    Such is the power of the evolutionary delusion. People just get mad, go crazy at any challenge to this modern 'faith'.

Yeah they start websites claiming massive conspiracies, claim wide spread persecution, and campaign for millions of dollars in "support for the truth" from their followers ... oh wait :p
    If it were just science, a more relaxed approach could be expected.

You would think so, wouldn't you, almost as if eternal souls are at stake ;)

Keylem wrote: »

Each type and length of beak a finch can have is already in the gene pool for finches.

Lie

Evolutionists tell us we cannot see evolution taking place because it happens too slowly.

Lie

Thus all the right mutations (and none of the destructive ones) must happen at the same time by pure chance.

Lie

All known mutations in animal and plant germ cells are neutral, harmful, or fatal.

Lie

Since the fossil record does not show tiny changes between one type of creature and another, a few evolutionists proposed a modification to evolution theory.

Lie

The problem for evolution is that we never see the shifting between shapes in the fossil record. All fossils are of complete animals and plants, not works in progress "under construction"

Lie

And so on ... I think you get the point. You will notice that scientists tend not to lie about what Creationists claim, they just point out that it is wrong or unsupported by scientific study. Creationists on the other hand seem to consistently lie about science.

Funny that.

Might be worth a read.
    In Six Days : Why Fifty Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Days-Scientists-Believe-Creation/dp/0890513414

Synopsis:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/Area/isd/preface.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Might be worth a read.
    In Six Days : Why Fifty Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Days-Scientists-Believe-Creation/dp/0890513414

Synopsis:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/Area/isd/preface.asp

Ooh, wow, scientists. Fifty of them.

Ooh, wow, scientists. Fifty of them.

I guess the Theory of Evolution isn't altogether unanimous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A quick Google suggests that there are approximately six million scientists in the world. And you've found fifty of them who are creationists? Bravo.

How many of those fifty are biologists, I wonder? I'd say it's a round number. Probably circular.

A quick Google suggests that there are approximately six million scientists in the world. And you've found fifty of them who are creationists? Bravo.

How many of those fifty are biologists, I wonder? I'd say it's a round number. Probably circular.

The book interviews fifty, doesn't mean there are only fifty worldwide!

In this book, 50 scientists explain their reasons for this choice. All the contributors have an earned doctorate from a state-recognized university in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, South Africa, or Germany. They include university professors and researchers, geologists, zoologists, biologists, botanists, physicists, chemists, mathematicians, medical researchers, and engineers.

• Advertisement

How many of those fifty are biologists, I wonder?

So 9 biologists. Which is about as many physicists who think the Earth is flat.

Impressive. :p

I wonder how many biologists in the world you can find who are clinically insane. Probably more.

Research overturns oldest evidence of life on Earth

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-overturns-oldest-evidence-life-earth.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- It appears that the supposed oldest examples of life on our planet -- 3.5 billion-year-old bacteria fossils found in Australian rock called Apex Chert -- are nothing more than tiny gaps in the rock that are packed with minerals.

The new findings by geologists at the University of Kansas show that microscopic structures many scientists had thought to be primeval oxygen-producing cyanobacteria really are lifeless bits of hematite. The reexamination of the Apex Chert was published recently in Nature Geoscience, a respected peer-reviewed journal.
    “We found no sign of any microfossil,” said Alison Olcott Marshall, assistant professor of geology at KU. “What we found were minerals that took the appearance of life. We went into this assuming these were microfossils — as was pretty well accepted in the scientific community. It was a good lesson in trusting your data over what you’d been told you should find. At every step of the way, we would do an experiment expecting to find one result and find the complete opposite instead.”

Wolfsbane is more impressed by the testimony of scientists to their persecution by the establishment, than by the excuses offered for their (undeniable) punishment. He has read justification of this treatment that sounds positively Stalinist, right here on this thread. Such is the power of the evolutionary delusion. People just get mad, go crazy at any challenge to this modern 'faith'.

If it were just science, a more relaxed approach could be expected. But it is a spiritual matter, a challenge to the zeitgeist of this age.

I don't think it is.

Whilst it may be the case that 'Research Funding' and 'Government Grants' are stong motivating factors in what science is researched and developed, scientific discoveries are still made. It may happen from time to time that an undergraduate may have to wait years for his discovery to be announced that proves that a current 'project' is doomed but truth will out in the end. Just as religious organisations have a history of political intrigue, so too does science.

Have you noticed on these fora that when someone who is perceived to be an atheist involves themselves with a discussion with Christians, the Christians unite against a common enemy; even when their opinions vary greatly, Christians don't challenge each other?

Have you noticed that?

Whereas, on the other hand you will find that atheists often argue with each other too. In fact, for a while, I thought Wicknight and Morbert were Christians themselves. And they may have thought me one too. :)

That's the difference; the church is happy to live without a consensus and science is not. Scientists will argue with each other and that results in the furtherance of knowledge. Eventually.

Evolution is science. It is a study of evidence. And you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as observation fails to back up the theory, the theory will be modified or rejected. Would that hurt some scientists? Perhaps. Would it hurt science? No!

So, would it hurt religious leaders if their version of history is wrong? Yes. Would it hurt religion to change its doctrine in order to reflect the current best understanding? Absolutely. Religion would be redundant.

Intelligent Design - religion's last best hope, but is it science?

Well, what is their claim; DNA is too complex to be understood and this proves the truthfulness of the Bible.

No, it's not science.

You cannot look to religion for science but perhaps you can look to science for religion.

Finally, I just wonder: Why did an Intelligent Designer not utilise the 'wheel' or 'cog' or the internal combustion engine? Why don't we have titanium skeletons, for example, and wouldn't it be handy if we could bounce when we fall off a ladder?

Why would an intelligent creator create an unstable planet and them populate it with such fragile forms of life?

Research overturns oldest evidence of life on Earth

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-overturns-oldest-evidence-life-earth.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- It appears that the supposed oldest examples of life on our planet -- 3.5 billion-year-old bacteria fossils found in Australian rock called Apex Chert -- are nothing more than tiny gaps in the rock that are packed with minerals.

The new findings by geologists at the University of Kansas show that microscopic structures many scientists had thought to be primeval oxygen-producing cyanobacteria really are lifeless bits of hematite. The reexamination of the Apex Chert was published recently in Nature Geoscience, a respected peer-reviewed journal.
    “We found no sign of any microfossil,” said Alison Olcott Marshall, assistant professor of geology at KU. “What we found were minerals that took the appearance of life. We went into this assuming these were microfossils — as was pretty well accepted in the scientific community. It was a good lesson in trusting your data over what you’d been told you should find. At every step of the way, we would do an experiment expecting to find one result and find the complete opposite instead.”

Odd. Scientists revising theories in relation to life on Earth. Isn't that supposed to not happen, according to Wolfsbane and JC.

Its almost as if they are, shock horror, doing science. Someone better tell these scientists quickly that if they don't toe the line they will be censored and fired from their jobs :)

Neither is the theory the Earth if not flat.

The book interviews fifty, doesn't mean there are only fifty worldwide!

In this book, 50 scientists explain their reasons for this choice. All the contributors have an earned doctorate from a state-recognized university in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, South Africa, or Germany. They include university professors and researchers, geologists, zoologists, biologists, botanists, physicists, chemists, mathematicians, medical researchers, and engineers.

Diversionary tactics.

Was Crick and Watson's (and others) discovery of DNA a red-herring?

The discovery of DNA opened a window to understanding the processes of life on a new level. Sure, there is lots to learn but much has been learned and one more imaginative leap might be just around the corner and we'll have the next piece of the jig-saw.

So why should Creationists be concerned? Well, if science can show that life spontaneously came into being and evolved over billions of years producing mankind as a by-product of natural selection then what would they have? A religion with absolutely no relationship to reality.

But what's the worst thing that that could mean? It would mean we can avoid the Apocalypse. It would be worth it for that one thing alone.

Intelligent Design - The bigger the lie, the more plausible it will seem.

To lighten the mood! :)

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. They picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him. The scientist walked up to God and said, “God, we’ve decided that we no longer need you. We’re to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don’t you just leave us be.”

God listened patiently to the man and after the scientist was finished talking, God said, “Very well. How about this? Let’s have a man making contest.”

The scientist, with great arrogance said, “That would be fine.”

The Lord added, “Now, we are going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam.”

The scientist said, “Sure, no problem,” then bent down and grabbed a handful of dirt.

God said to the scientist, “No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!”

To lighten the mood! :)

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. They picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him. The scientist walked up to God and said, “God, we’ve decided that we no longer need you. We’re to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don’t you just leave us be.”

God listened patiently to the man and after the scientist was finished talking, God said, “Very well. How about this? Let’s have a man making contest.”

The scientist, with great arrogance said, “That would be fine.”

The Lord added, “Now, we are going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam.”

The scientist said, “Sure, no problem,” then bent down and grabbed a handful of dirt.

God said to the scientist, “No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!”

:)

Why God never got tenure

1. He had only one major publication.
    2. It was written in Aramaic, not in English.
    3. It has no references.
    4. It wasn't even published in a refereed journal.
    5. There are serious doubts he wrote it himself.
    6. It may be true that he created the world, but what has he done since
    then?
    7. His cooperative efforts have been quite limited.
    8. The Scientific community has had a hard time replicating his results.
    9. He unlawfully performed not only Animal, but *Human* testing.
    10. When one experiment went awry, he tried to cover it by drowning his
    subjects.
    11. When subjects didn't behave as predicted, he deleted them from
    the sample.
    12. He rarely came to class, just told his students to read the book.
    13. Some say he had his son to teach the class.
    14. He expelled his first two students for learning.
    15. Although there were only 10 requirements, most of his students
    failed his tests.
    16. His office hours were infrequent and usually held on a mountain top.

Lol at 13 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Project Steve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Steve

"Despite the list's restriction to only scientists with names like "Steve", which in the United States limits the list to roughly 1 percent of the total population, Project Steve is longer and contains many more eminent scientists than any creationist list. In particular, Project Steve contains many more biologists than the creationist lists, since about 51% of the listed Steves are biologists."

We can therefore confidently say that the acceptance of evolution is effectively unanimous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement