Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Wicknight wrote: »
    This how Creationists define what a transitional fossil should be like. It isn't a concept found in Darwinian evolution, it is something Creationists imagined because most seem to not understand evolution very well (which isn't surprising since most Creationists are not biologists)

"The number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed on the earth, (must) be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory." Charles Darwin
    Darwinian evolution says that all species are transitional between the previous form and the next form. There is no difference between a transitional fossil and a regular fossil, they are the same thing.

You say this because you can't find any real transitional fossils. Then when you think you've found one you hold it up for everyone to see as a refutation of creationism. Which is it?
    And this is what we find when compiling the fossil record. You do not find species with half an arm, or half a leg just there providing no function. You find species with a particular phenotype and then in later species this phenotype, due to mutational changes, has a different function.

If Darwinian evolution is true then you would expect to see animals going through various stages of evolution and as such you would expect them to have non functional stumps where hands will eventually evolve from fins and so on. But because you can't find any such thing you revise the theory to such an extent that it doesn't resemble Darwin's original idea.
    In fact the Creationist notion of a transitional fossil would actually disprove Darwinian evolution, since natural selection will not select significant features that provide no function.

But you should expect to find them, read Darwin's own quote above to see. He at least to expect to find that sort of thing.
    No transitional fossils (as Creationists use that term) is a good thing for Darwinian evolution.

No its not. Even under the smoother neo-Darwinian concept of evolution you should still expect to find nonfunctional stumps and such along the evolutionary trail somewhere. You're talking about going from fish to humans remember. But because natural selection acting on random mutations is a blind process it can't foresee what stumps will develop because there is no plan for that stump arising or what it will evolve into. Unless you can show how fins can change into hands and at every step of development show functionality that will aid the survival of the species. At some point the fins won't be any use for swimming and at the same time not be any use for anything else either and as such prove detrimental to the species in question hence they will die off meaning they will not be around to evolve anymore. Just face it, Darwinian Evolutionary theory is a religion, it requires as much faith to accept as any religion I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

GET THROUGH LIFE WITHOUT THE CRUTCH OF EASY ANSWERS
    THERE ARE NO EASY ANSWERS
    WHEN YOU DIE IT WILL END
    PLEASE STOP THE ENDLESS FANTASY
    BURY YOUR GODS WITH SANTA CLAUS

Actually, here's a useful thought exercise. Wolfsbane and Soul Winner, if you would be so kind, could you post in a few paragraphs how you think the theory of evolution by natural selection is supposed to work? Never mind the veracity, just say what you think evolution is.

Life mysteriously manages to form on earth, and life has one goal, it strives to survive. Life mutates. Natural selection selects for beneficial mutations which are carried to the next generation, and detrimental mutations are not selected for, as they kill organisms, hence no survival. Species develop by this method for billions of years which means that abracadabra chemical soup becomes a dinosaur. Magic.

Am I close?

GET THROUGH LIFE WITHOUT THE CRUTCH OF EASY ANSWERS
    THERE ARE NO EASY ANSWERS
    WHEN YOU DIE IT WILL END
    PLEASE STOP THE ENDLESS FANTASY
    BURY YOUR GODS WITH SANTA CLAUS

Jesus Lives!!! Deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"The number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed on the earth, (must) be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory." Charles Darwin

Please, more quotes from the guy who lived 50 years before understanding of plate tectonics :rolleyes:
    You say this because you can't find any real transitional fossils.

If by "real" you mean what the Creationists call a transitional fossil, nope never been found.

What we do find in the fossil record is consistent with Darwinian evolution.
    Then when you think you've found one you hold it up for everyone to see as a refutation of creationism. Which is it?

What a Creationist would call a transitional fossil has never been found, and if found would disprove Darwinian evolution. Perhaps the Creationists should get off their bums and try and find one.
    If Darwinian evolution is true then you would expect to see animals going through various stages of evolution and as such you would expect them to have non functional stumps where hands will eventually evolve from fins and so on.

Only if you had no idea what evolution teaches.

An species with a non-functional stump would disprove evolution that was there in order to be a hand in a few hundred thousand years would disprove evolution not confirm it.
    But because you can't find any such thing you revise the theory to such an extent that it doesn't resemble Darwin's original idea.

Soul Winner you don't understand Darwin's original idea (as demonstrated by your non-functional stump comment above).
    But you should expect to find them, read Darwin's own quote above to see.

I don't need to read the quote you more than likely took whole sale from a Creationist website, I've read On the Origin of Species.

Have you?
    No its not.

I assure you it is.
    Even under the smoother neo-Darwinian concept of evolution you should still expect to find nonfunctional stumps and such along the evolutionary trail somewhere.

No you shouldn't. If you think that you do not understand Darwinian evolution, neo or otherwise.
    You're talking about going from fish to humans remember. But because natural selection acting on random mutations is a blind process it can't foresee what stumps will develop because there is no plan for that stump arising or what it will evolve into.

Which is why you don't find non-functional stumps in the fossil record. If you did it would disprove evolution.
    Unless you can show how fins can change into hands and at every step of development show functionality that will aid the survival of the species.

By Dawkin's beard you are starting to finally understand!

You don't see non-functioning stumps in the fossil record because evolution does not produce them. What you do see is functional parts that switch between functions as the species evolves. Functioning hands become functioning fins. Functioning flippers become functioning legs. At no point do they not function, because as you yourself point out evolution has no idea where it is going and as such would not keep something around just because in a million years it is going to be a hand.

And this is exactly what we find in the fossil record.
    At some point the fins won't be any use for swimming and at the same time not be any use for anything else either and as such prove detrimental to the species in question hence they will die off meaning they will not be around to evolve anymore.

Correct, but as you say such a creature would die very quickly and thus not be selected by natural selection. As such we wouldn't expect to see such "stump" animals in the fossil record, and amazingly we don't find such creatures in the fossil record. The only creatures that are selected by natural selection are the ones where the swap in functionality does not produce a non-functioning limb.

And (SHOCK HORROR) this is what we find in the fossil record. Not this Creationist concept of the "transitional fossil" but species that slowly swap over functionality while maintaining the first, then both, then second function. You know, the thing actually predicted by evolutionary biology (something Creationists seem to know very little about)

It is almost as if evolutionary biology is actually supported by the available evidence! Who would have thunk it!

• Advertisement

Life mysteriously manages to form on earth, and life has one goal, it strives to survive. Life mutates. Natural selection selects for beneficial mutations which are carried to the next generation, and detrimental mutations are not selected for, as they kill organisms, hence no survival. Species develop by this method for billions of years which means that abracadabra chemical soup becomes a dinosaur. Magic.

Am I close?

Unsurprisingly, miles off :pac:

Please, more quotes from the guy who lived 50 years before understanding of plate tectonics :rolleyes:

He didn't need to know anything about plate tectonics. In his day they thought the cell was just a blob of plasma. No wonder they came up with the stupid theory that species evolved over time by a mechanism of natural selection acting on random mutations.
    What a Creationist would call a transitional fossil has never been found, and if found would disprove Darwinian evolution. Perhaps the Creationists should get off their bums and try and find one.

What creationists call transitional fossils are what was predicted by Darwin himself, so if they found one surely that would support Darwinian theory, not refute it. That none have ever been found goes against the theory.
    Only if you had no idea what evolution teaches.

An species with a non-functional stump would disprove evolution that was there in order to be a hand in a few hundred thousand years would disprove evolution not confirm it.

In between fin to hand evolution there has to be non function somewhere between the transition from sea to land, either the hand that started to develop in the sea doesn't work in the sea or the vestigial fin failed to work on land. At some point there was impedance which would be most detrimental to the species.
    Soul Winner you don't understand Darwin's original idea (as demonstrated by your non-functional stump comment above).

If you say so.

I don't need to read the quote you more than likely took whole sale from a Creationist website, I've read On the Origin of Species.

If you do a little research you will find that these are the very words of Charley Darwin himself.
    Have you?

Well I was going to a few years back but Robindch suggested that I read something more contemporary. But it is on my to do list. When was the last time you read it?
    Which is why you don't find non-functional stumps in the fossil record. If you did it would disprove evolution.

But fins did evolve into hands right? And fins are used for swimming, and hands are used for gripping. So between swimming and gripping something had to give. And given the length of time for this evolution to take place what ever came in between had to be functional, so where is the evidence in the fossil record for this functionality?

By Dawkin's beard you are starting to finally understand!

Cool :cool:
    You don't see non-functioning stumps in the fossil record because evolution does not produce them. What you do see is functional parts that switch between functions as the species evolves. Functioning hands become functioning fins. Functioning flippers become functioning legs. At no point do they not function, because as you yourself point out evolution has no idea where it is going and as such would not keep something around just because in a million years it is going to be a hand.

Well yeah, that's my point. So where exactly in the fossil record is the evidence for this functionality between fin and hand, and flippers and legs?
    And this is exactly what we find in the fossil record.

Show me.
    Correct, but as you say such a creature would die very quickly and thus not be selected by natural selection.

Yes but it would still leave a fossil wouldn't it? In fact we should expect to find more fossils of this type because they are more prone to dying off under Darwinian principles than others. Where are they?
    As such we wouldn't expect to see such "stump" animals in the fossil record, and amazingly we don't find such creatures in the fossil record.

But we should find them, that is the point!!!
    The only creatures that are selected by natural selection are the ones where the swap in functionality does not produce a non-functioning limb.

Why should that be the case? If most mutations are detrimental, lets say even ten percent are detrimental (and that's gratuitous) then we should still find evidence for these transitional forms in the fossil record. They have to be there under Darwinian theory. That they have never been found strikes a major blow to the theory as Darwin himself had the wherewithal to discern and predict even in his day.
    And (SHOCK HORROR) this is what we find in the fossil record. Not this Creationist concept of the "transitional fossil" but species that slowly swap over functionality while maintaining the first, then both, then second function. You know, the thing actually predicted by evolutionary biology (something Creationists seem to know very little about)

Total codswallop. That's not what Darwinian theory predicts and you know it. Darwinian theory predicts that natural selection acting on random mutations will select the beneficial mutations and not select the detrimental ones because the detrimental ones will inevitably bring death to the species. Now if detrimental mutations are more common than beneficial mutations then we should expect to see more fossils of dead creatures in those stages of evolution where they died off as a result of these detrimental mutations. We don't see that in the fossil record though. Why?
    It is almost as if evolutionary biology is actually supported by the available evidence! Who would have thunk it!

Darwinian evolutionary theory is not supported by the available evidence, how intelligent people cannot see this is beyond my comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A lot of things about evolution seem to be far from your comprehension, Soul Winner, which you demonstrate time and time again with each post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Am I close?

Not really. You haven't really explained the mechanism of natural selection, which was the point of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

A book titled Programming of Life by Donald E. Johnson. From the back cover:

"This book highlights the informational aspects of life that are generally overlooked or ignored in chemical and biological evolutionary scenarios."

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Life-Donald-Johnson/dp/0982355467

• Advertisement

He didn't need to know anything about plate tectonics.

He didn't need to know anything. Not knowing about plate tectonics explains his puzzlement at the fossil record of the day.
    What creationists call transitional fossils are what was predicted by Darwin himself

No they aren't. Which you would know if you bothered to learn what evolution actually is rather than simply copying and pasting quotes from Creationist websites.
    In between fin to hand evolution there has to be non function somewhere between the transition from sea to land, either the hand that started to develop in the sea doesn't work in the sea or the vestigial fin failed to work on land.

No there doesn't, evolution predicts that this isn't the case and this is confirmed by the fossil record.
    If you do a little research you will find that these are the very words of Charley Darwin himself.

And all the quotes from the website the Skeptics Bible are from the Bible itself, so obviously you respect that web site too :rolleyes:
    Well I was going to a few years back but Robindch suggested that I read something more contemporary. But it is on my to do list. When was the last time you read it?

So you haven't read Darwins work but you know more about it from reading quotes from it on Creationist websites that most.
    But fins did evolve into hands right? And fins are used for swimming, and hands are used for gripping. So between swimming and gripping something had to give.

You will notice that humans can swim, yet we don't have fins. Odd that, given Soul Winner's theory of evolution that states a hand cannot be used as a fin and a fin cannot be used as a hand. ;)
    And given the length of time for this evolution to take place what ever came in between had to be functional, so where is the evidence in the fossil record for this functionality?

All over it. Look at the evolution of the whale. Or the many link Morbet bothered to post to you that you no doubt ignored.
    Well yeah, that's my point. So where exactly in the fossil record is the evidence for this functionality between fin and hand, and flippers and legs?

Given that myself and others have already shown you think evidence you will forgive me if I seriously doubt you are genuinely interested.

Assuming you are actually now genuinely interested and just can't remember all the evidence show already for this, perhaps looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambulocetus will help.

You will notice it has legs that function as fins.
    Show me.
    We all ready have Soul Winner, we already have. Ambulocetus has been mentioned 17 times already on this thread, along with a host of other such examples.

We can only show you the evidence, we can't make you look at it.
    Yes but it would still leave a fossil wouldn't it? In fact we should expect to find more fossils of this type because they are more prone to dying off under Darwinian principles than others. Where are they?

Because they do not evolve they would be very rare. You are talking about one or two a generation out of populations of hundreds of thousands. Since they are not selected by natural selection they do not become the species. As such you would not expect to find them in the fossil record.
    But we should find them, that is the point!!!
    Says who? Darwinian evolution says that such mutated animals would be so rare as to be very unlikely to show up in the fossil record as they are not selected by natural selection and thus do not grow in numbers. If the fossil record was full of them then there is something wrong with Darwinian evolution.

Darwinian evolution predicts that in the fossil record we will find species such as Ambulocetus, not your stump creatures. And that is exactly what we find.
    Why should that be the case?

What do you mean should be? It is the case. Darwinian evolution is how life on Earth develops.
    If most mutations are detrimental, lets say even ten percent are detrimental (and that's gratuitous) then we should still find evidence for these transitional forms in the fossil record.

No we shouldn't (most mutations are neutral by the way, but that is beside the point).

The fossil record is a tiny percentage of the animals that actually lived.

Imagine the population of Ireland right now, and imagine that 0.00001 of us is going to end up fossilized (which is generous). Do you think that fossil record of this current generation of humans is going to also contain the tiny number of humans who have significant genetic mutations, for example someone born without arms?

The odds of that happening are very small. Most of the fossils will be of perfectly normal humans. It is only traits that are common across the population that you expect to find in fossils. The odds that the rare except will also end up being in the fossil record are very small.
    Total codswallop. That's not what Darwinian theory predicts and you know it.

It is exactly what Darwinian theory predicts. You don't understand this because you don't understand Darwinian evolution nor have you ever expressed any genuine interest in trying to understand Darwinian evolution.
    Now if detrimental mutations are more common than beneficial mutations then we should expect to see more fossils of dead creatures in those stages of evolution where they died off as a result of these detrimental mutations.
    Wow, you still don't get it.

Imagine you have a population of 10 animals. 6 have neutral mutations, 1 has a beneficial mutation and 3 have detrimental mutations. Ah you say, more detrimental mutations!!.

But that is ignoring evolution.

2 of the 3 with the detrimental mutations die off before mating, so only 1 animal with one of these mutations exists in the next generation. The 1 with the beneficial mutation is successful and mates better than the 6 neutral mutation. So next generation you have more of the animal with the benefitial mutation than previous, and so on through the generations.

And then the next generation, those with this mutation continue to be successful in mating (nature is selecting them).

After 5 generations there are 8 with the mutation, ie the entire species is been replaced with the mutation.

so you get something like this

Gen 1 - NNNNNNDDDB
    Gen 2 - NNNNNNNDBB
    Gen 3 - NNNNNNBBBB
    Gen 4 - NNNBBBBBBBB
    Gen 5 - NNBBBBBBBBB
    Gen 6 - BBBBBBBBBBB
    Gen 7 - BBBBBBBBBBB

Notice in the entire set there are only 4 with the detrimental mutations because they died off quickly. Over the generations the population of animals with these detrimental mutations is tiny compared to the others.

Now imagine that lets say 2 out of that entire set are going to end up being fossilized (remember only a tiny percentage of animals actually end up fossilized)

What do you think the odds are that those 2 will be the "D" animals? Very very small. The odds that they will either be 'N' or 'B' are far greater.

This is what Darwinian evolution predicts (whether you believe it is right or wrong, this is what the theory says). And this is what we find in the fossil record.

No on is denying that determintal mutations happen, or that they are more numerous than those that give new functionality. But Darwinian evolution predicts that over the population over generations these will be tiny compared to the others. And this is what we find in the fossil record.

Darwinian evolution is true. Get over it :)
    Darwinian evolutionary theory is not supported by the available evidence, how intelligent people cannot see this is beyond my comprehension.

Intelligent people tend to learn what a theory actually says before they dismiss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Us trying to understand the universe and where we fit in it, is comparable to my cat trying to understand rocket science.

On one hand we have hard core christians who try and believe in every single verse of the Bible, I think if Jesus himself (If such a person exists) was to come down tomorrow and say - "Look this passage in the bible has been totally missunderstood" Christians would not believe it.

Being a one time bible thumper I am actually surpised to what I bought into without actually questioning it.. Problem with organised religion is anything deemed contradictory is not to be entertained, and the only basis of fact or what is deemed as fact or "truth" is the bible, a collection of books written sometime before and after the life of a guy that maybe lived in around 2000 years ago....

However on the other hand we have those that try to disprove the idea of Jesus and a God which is equally ridiculous...

I think the idea that we are even close to understanding things, whether you believe in god, nothing or superman from the planet Krypton is purley delusional! I am not saying you are not entitled to you're own idea, it's when people try and tell you "Look you are going to hell cause we are right and everyone else is wrong"

I am going to go with the Vikings - There stories are a little more kick @ss! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

You're not getting it; all life is transitional. Every fossil ever found, every organism that lives, is a snapshot of the transitional process.

As a proportion of all life that has ever existed, how many life-forms do you think actually make it to fossilisation? And of those that did, what proportion do you think has been unearthed and studied? I would suggest that an insignificant proportion of an insignificant proportion of all life has been unearthed as fossils.

Of course there are gaps in the fossil record and it is these gaps that Darwin recognised as being the only aspect of the theory that could be attacked by its detractors. Darwin was scientifically testing his own theory by showing its weakness. (Which is what I said the last time that quote by Darwin was produced.)

The thing is though, all the fossils that have been studied do fit neatly into the 'Tree of Life' as suggested by Evolution; there has not been a fossil found that refutes Evolutionism.

He didn't need to know anything. Not knowing about plate tectonics explains his puzzlement at the fossil record of the day.

What exactly has knowing the inner workings of plate tectonics got to do with predicting what the fossil record will eventually show. Remember Lyell's idea of uniformitarianism which is vital for the theory of evolution to be true. Uniformitarianism states that everything has been laid down in the strata at the same rate all the time. So if you're thin king about bringing upheavals into this argument then think again, Lyell's idea does not allow them and Darwinian evolutionary theory depends on Lyell's theory to be true in order to have the time needed to work. So be careful how you answer this one.
    No they aren't. Which you would know if you bothered to learn what evolution actually is rather than simply copying and pasting quotes from Creationist websites.

I didn't copy and paste anything from any creationist website. I don't even visit such sites, and if I did I'd hardly use what they say to backup what I'm saying here. I'd rather quote thing that materialists and evolutionists say to support what I'm saying. All I did was quote Charles Darwin himself and you go into a rant.
    And all the quotes from the website the Skeptics Bible are from the Bible itself, so obviously you respect that web site too :rolleyes:

Sigh...

So you haven't read Darwins work but you know more about it from reading quotes from it on Creationist websites that most.

Sigh again...
    You will notice that humans can swim, yet we don't have fins. Odd that, given Soul Winner's theory of evolution that states a hand cannot be used as a fin and a fin cannot be used as a hand. ;)

To go from fin to hand there must have been many stages in between. And at each stage natural selection was selecting the best trait for survival at that time and then passing it on to the next generation, it wasn't looking to the future knowing that this particular branch of life will need hands on land at some point. So the fact that humans are here and evolved from fish you should expect to see transitional forms with full functionality in the fossil record. You do see transitional forms in some case but only between certain types of whales and fish but nothing from fish to humans.

All over it. Look at the evolution of the whale. Or the many link Morbet bothered to post to you that you no doubt ignored.

Like I said, there is evidence for transition between certain types of species (whales as you say) in the fossil record, but they are all transitioning from one type of whale to another type of whale, not into another species altogether, which is what Darwinian evolution predicts, does it not?

Given that myself and others have already shown you think evidence you will forgive me if I seriously doubt you are genuinely interested.

You haven't shown me anything of the sort. You have shown that species transition from one form to another form but remain more or less the same type of creature at the end of the process, i.e. whale types change into different whale types. That's not what I'm arguing though. I'm arguing that the fossil record does not support the idea that fins evolved into hands. Now maybe they did evolve in this way, but the fossil record doesn't show it.
    Assuming you are actually now genuinely interested and just can't remember all the evidence show already for this, perhaps looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambulocetus will help.

I like this part: "It is a transitional fossil that shows how whales evolved from land-living mammals." That's it, debate is over, lets all go home. When I look at this creature I see a creature that is perfectly adapted to its habitat. It could be argue that it is a transitional form alright but it could also be argued that its just a distinct species. But when you predict that all life evolved from a single celled organism of course you're going to try to shoe horn anything that might be regarded as a transitional form into your hypothesis. And that's what this article is doing. Like I said in an earlier post, when you find what looks like a transitional form you are quick to point it out, but when you can't you say things like the theory doesn't predict that you should see transitional forms in the way creationists say, or Darwin didn't understand plate tectonics. Which is it? :confused:
    You will notice it has legs that function as fins.

It looks more like an ancestor of the otter to me than a whale. If you were to tell me that the otter is a descendant of this creature I would have no problem with that at all because otters came from somewhere right? And this is as good a candidate as any. But just stating that this is a transitional form that proves that whales evolved from land mammals without any debate on the matter is talking quite a leap. We don't even know whether it was reptilian or not, we don't know how its inner organs we arranged so how come they are so sure that it is a transitional form?

We all ready have Soul Winner, we already have. Ambulocetus has been mentioned 17 times already on this thread, along with a host of other such examples.

I just dealt with Ambulocetus, now where are the others you say you mentioned?
    Says who? Darwinian evolution says that such mutated animals would be so rare as to be very unlikely to show up in the fossil record...

They aren't rare though, that is the point. Bad or neutral mutations are much more common than mutations that are beneficial. Yet in every fossil you have a species that has evolved perfectly to its environment with no evidence of bad or neutral mutations whatsoever. OK bad mutations might not be in evidence because they are not selected for and hence not passed on but neutral ones should be in evidence.
    . If the fossil record was full of them then there is something wrong with Darwinian evolution.

All we find in the fossil record are species which have only ever evolved beneficial mutations that just so happen to enable them to adapt to their environments, or in other words nature has selected the ones that are best suited to a particular environment to survive than those which aren't. Yet in every single experiment done in the lab, mutations which are bad or neutral are much more common than beneficial mutations. If this is true in the lab then it is more than likely to be true in nature, which means that we should see more evidence of it in the fossil record. We don't. all we find are species which appear fully formed and perfectly adapted to their environments.
    Darwinian evolution predicts that in the fossil record we will find species such as Ambulocetus, not your stump creatures. And that is exactly what we find.

We should also find evidence for species in transition. Surely at some point in the evolution from fin to hand the fin will not look like a fin or a hand. As long as it is in water it will need to be a fin and as long as its on land it will need to be hand or claw like, but in between, there will be some loss of prime functionality, i.e. the ability to swim fast enough to catch prey (which humans can't do by the way) or on land the ability to grip branches or catch insects or whatever. All we see are fins that are perfectly adapted for swimming in water or hands/claws etc that are perfectly adapted for gripping and catching. With the Ambulocetus we have a creature who appears to be perfectly adapted to surviving in water but who could also adapt to living on land but to say that it is the transitional link between whales and mammals is leap of faith.
    What do you mean should be? It is the case. Darwinian evolution is how life on Earth develops.

Maybe it is but the fossil record is not evidence of it.
    No we shouldn't (most mutations are neutral by the way, but that is beside the point).

So where is the evidence for them in the fossil record? Again all we see is evidence for beneficial mutations. Perfectly adapted claws, teeth, wings or fins and so on...
    The fossil record is a tiny percentage of the animals that actually lived.

I know. As an side, can you explain (in your own word please) how fossils come about in the first place?
    Imagine the population of Ireland right now, and imagine that 0.00001 of us is going to end up fossilized (which is generous). Do you think that fossil record of this current generation of humans is going to also contain the tiny number of humans who have significant genetic mutations, for example someone born without arms?

Not all but at least some. If the ratio of bad/neutral mutations to beneficial mutations is anything to go by then the ratio of people with no arms would be a lot higher than what it is now meaning that we should find even more fossils of people with no arms (or whatever impediment) in your scenario.

In any case. How did life evolve the ability to pass on mutational information in the first place? If the mutation (beneficial or otherwise i.e and extra finger on each hand say) was really random, then the organism wasn't expecting it. But throughout its life this mutation served its master well. How then was it able to pass this mutational information onto to its offspring? That always puzzled me too. Just because mutations happen, that doesn't automatically mean that those traits (beneficial in this case) will automatically get passed on. If I randomly mutate a new finger would that pass on to my future kids? If I was born with a defect that made it easier for me to get around than normal people (say something like double jointedness or something) would that trait get passed on? No, not necessarily. So how are we so sure that beneficial mutations in nature get passed on? Just because the benefit the organism which originally mutated the trait doesn't mean that it will be able to pass this trait on. That is also assumed.
    The odds of that happening are very small. Most of the fossils will be of perfectly normal humans. It is only traits that are common across the population that you expect to find in fossils. The odds that the rare except will also end up being in the fossil record are very small.

Rare maybe, but not impossible. After 150 years of digging you'd expect to find evidence of more species in transition than we do. All we find are species that appear perfectly adapted to their environments, fully formed.
    It is exactly what Darwinian theory predicts. You don't understand this because you don't understand Darwinian evolution nor have you ever expressed any genuine interest in trying to understand Darwinian evolution.

I do understand it, until you change it. The theory itself is as able to adapt to whatever counter facts are thrown at it as species in nature are able to adapt to changes in their environments, so much so that (like creatures in nature) the modern version of the theory looks nothing like the original version.
    Imagine you have a population of 10 animals. 6 have neutral mutations, 1 has a beneficial mutation and 3 have detrimental mutations. Ah you say, more detrimental mutations!!.

2 of the 3 with the detrimental mutations die off before mating, so only 1 animal with one of these mutations exists in the next generation. The 1 with the beneficial mutation is successful and mates better than the 6 neutral mutation. So next generation you have more of the animal with the benefitial mutation than previous, and so on through the generations.

And then the next generation, those with this mutation continue to be successful in mating (nature is selecting them).

After 5 generations there are 8 with the mutation, ie the entire species is been replaced with the mutation.

so you get something like this

Gen 1 - NNNNNNDDDB
    Gen 2 - NNNNNNNDBB
    Gen 3 - NNNNNNBBBB
    Gen 4 - NNNBBBBBBBB
    Gen 5 - NNBBBBBBBBB
    Gen 6 - BBBBBBBBBBB
    Gen 7 - BBBBBBBBBBB

Notice in the entire set there are only 4 with the detrimental mutations because they died off quickly. Over the generations the population of animals with these detrimental mutations is tiny compared to the others.

Now imagine that lets say 2 out of that entire set are going to end up being fossilized (remember only a tiny percentage of animals actually end up fossilized)

What do you think the odds are that those 2 will be the "D" animals? Very very small. The odds that they will either be 'N' or 'B' are far greater.

This is what Darwinian evolution predicts (whether you believe it is right or wrong, this is what the theory says). And this is what we find in the fossil record.

No on is denying that determintal mutations happen, or that they are more numerous than those that give new functionality. But Darwinian evolution predicts that over the population over generations these will be tiny compared to the others. And this is what we find in the fossil record.

The only problem with all this is that that is not what Darwin predicted. The theory has changed to adapt to the facts of the fossil record and then its claimed that this is what the theory predicted in the first place. It isn't but I'm sure you will find a way to present it other wise.
    Darwinian evolution is true. Get over it :)

Its total BS, sorry.
    Intelligent people tend to learn what a theory actually says before they dismiss it.

Intelligent people don't generally resuscitate debunked theories and reword them to match up with new facts that the original theory did not predict.

You're not getting it; all life is transitional. Every fossil ever found, every organism that lives, is a snapshot of the transitional process.

All life is transitional? Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Of course there are gaps in the fossil record and it is these gaps that Darwin recognised as being the only aspect of the theory that could be attacked by its detractors. Darwin was scientifically testing his own theory by showing its weakness. (Which is what I said the last time that quote by Darwin was produced.)

Darwin predicted millions of transitional forms which he was convinced would be found, so much so that he was willing to risk his theory on it. They haven't been found but the theory survived and has changed to match the facts. Great science that.
    The thing is though, all the fossils that have been studied do fit neatly into the 'Tree of Life' as suggested by Evolution; there has not been a fossil found that refutes Evolutionism.

You mean there hasn't been a fossil found that supports Darwin's original theory. We're not going to find a fossil that disproves Darwinian evolutionary theory, we don't have to, all that needs to happen is for Darwin's prediction to be borne out, it was, the theory should be dead, it's not, it changed, go figure. :rolleyes:

I know. As an side, can you explain (in your own word please) how fossils come about in the first place?

What a rediculous request; google it.

What do you suppose became of organisms that 'evolved' useless stumps? (Which, by the way, biology would classify as a deformity.)

They were eaten by other organisms that were not handicapped. Don't you see; 'Survival of the Fittest'. They didn't have the opportunity to be fossilised.

By the way, it is not about one thing mutating into another, it is about being born with a mutation and its effect on the organism's ability to survive and procreate. It is such a simple concept really.

Did you derive:
    Darwin predicted millions of transitional forms which he was convinced would be found, so much so that he was willing to risk his theory on it. They haven't been found but the theory survived and has changed to match the facts. Great science that.

?:confused:

It is noteworthy that you use misrepresentation to attack a man in order to undermine a theory.

Once again, Darwin was pointing out that his theory was so strong that the most devastating attack that could be made upon it was the lack of fossil data. And this is not devastating at all.

"The number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed on the earth, (must) be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory."

Before you try this tactic again, you should look at what Darwin said in its correct context.

Have a look at Origin of Species, bottom of page 421 and top of 422.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

All life is transitional? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Um, yes, that's why it's called evolution...

He didn't need to know anything about plate tectonics. In his day they thought the cell was just a blob of plasma. No wonder they came up with the stupid theory that species evolved over time by a mechanism of natural selection acting on random mutations.

And what is it, do you think, that motivated Crick and Watson to search inside these 'blobs of plasma'? It was precisely to find the mechanisms through which evolution operates and their existence was predicted by the Evolutionary theory.

• Advertisement

What exactly has knowing the inner workings of plate tectonics got to do with predicting what the fossil record will eventually show.

Plate tectonics has a massive impact on the fossil record. This was unknown in Darwin's time.
    To go from fin to hand there must have been many stages in between. And at each stage natural selection was selecting the best trait for survival at that time and then passing it on to the next generation, it wasn't looking to the future knowing that this particular branch of life will need hands on land at some point.

Yes, that is the point. Non-functioning "stumps" that Creationist say should be in the fossil record are not what evolution predicts. It is not surprising that they are not found then, given that evolution is correct.
    Like I said, there is evidence for transition between certain types of species (whales as you say) in the fossil record, but they are all transitioning from one type of whale to another type of whale

18_EVOW_CH03.jpg

Does that creature at the top look like a type of whale to you :rolleyes:
    When I look at this creature I see a creature that is perfectly adapted to its habitat. It could be argue that it is a transitional form alright but it could also be argued that its just a distinct species.

That is exactly what it is, a distinct species. If you find that puzzling it is because you do not understand what the heck evolutionary theory is actually saying.

Stop rotting your mind with Creationist websites and bother to read something on evolution.
    It looks more like an ancestor of the otter to me than a whale.

What it looks like to you is rather irrelevant.

You ask for evidence, we give you evidence, you say we haven't debated it with you enough and it doesn't look like a whale to you. I cannot sum up how irrelevant your opinion of what you think it looks like is.
    We don't even know whether it was reptilian or not
    It wasn't reptilian, it was a mammal. And yes we do know that.
    , we don't know how its inner organs we arranged so how come they are so sure that it is a transitional form?

Because they know what they are doing. The evidence for the link is found in the arrangement of the skeleton structure.
    They aren't rare though, that is the point. Bad or neutral mutations are much more common than mutations that are beneficial.

Organisms with bad mutations are rare compared with the general population. How many normal people right now do you know, compared to how many you know with a serious genetic disease?
    All we find in the fossil record are species which have only ever evolved beneficial mutations that just so happen to enable them to adapt to their environments

They don't just so happen to adapt to their environment, its called natural selection.
    , or in other words nature has selected the ones that are best suited to a particular environment to survive than those which aren't. Yet in every single experiment done in the lab, mutations which are bad or neutral are much more common than beneficial mutations. If this is true in the lab then it is more than likely to be true in nature, which means that we should see more evidence of it in the fossil record.

No we shouldn't, as I explained in the last post. I can't help you Soul Winner if you don't pay attention to what people are explaining to you. Look at my detailed explanation of N B D mutations. Actually bother this time.
    All we see are fins that are perfectly adapted for swimming in water or hands/claws etc that are perfectly adapted for gripping and catching.

That might be all you see, but that is because you are not paying attention. Ambulocetus' legs are neither as suited to high speed running as Diacodexis, nor as adapted to moving in water as a modern whale.
    So where is the evidence for them in the fossil record? Again all we see is evidence for beneficial mutations. Perfectly adapted claws, teeth, wings or fins and so on...

What are you expecting to see exactly? By definition you won't see neutral mutations Soul Winner, that is why they are neutral, they don't change the phenotype.

The bones of dead animals forms cavities in the rock around them that are gradually replaced by minerals.
    Not all but at least some. If the ratio of bad/neutral mutations to beneficial mutations is anything to go by then the ratio of people with no arms would be a lot higher than what it is now meaning that we should find even more fossils of people with no arms (or whatever impediment) in your scenario.

How many people do you know without any arms out of the entire population of Ireland? :rolleyes:
    If I randomly mutate a new finger would that pass on to my future kids?

Your future kids are going to have your DNA where this mutation first occurred. That is assuming they don't get the non-mutated DNA of your mother for that gene. Your kids have a 1 in 2 chance of getting the DNA that produces the extra finger.

This is assuming that your extra finger wasn't so unbenefitial that it prevented you from mating in the first place. In that case the mutated DNA dies with you, which means the mutation was not selected by natural selection.
    If I was born with a defect that made it easier for me to get around than normal people (say something like double jointedness or something) would that trait get passed on? No, not necessarily. So how are we so sure that beneficial mutations in nature get passed on?

In asexual reproduction it definitely will get passed on. In sexual reproduction there is a 1 in 2 chance it will.
    Just because the benefit the organism which originally mutated the trait doesn't mean that it will be able to pass this trait on. That is also assumed.
    No it isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics
    The only problem with all this is that that is not what Darwin predicted.

It is what Darwin predicted as much as someone without an understanding of genetics (something you and Darwin have in common ;)) could predict.

Did you actually understand any of that rather long explanation I took time to write out for you? Did you even bother to read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    They are accountable for their sins, whether they believe that or not, but they do not want to be forced to admit that to themselves.

Wouldn't that not be true irrespective of what evolution says?

Again I'm not following how you think scientists believe they will not be accountable for their sins if they only accept evolutionary biology?
    No, they do not think they are unaccountable to God if only they accept evolution. That is, they are not accepting both God and evolution, and thinking their belief in evolution gives them as 'pass' with God.

What I'm saying is that Evolution is their alternative to God - and if He does not exist, they obviously are not accountable to Him for their many sins. Evolution gives them ease of conscience.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    No, they do not think they are unaccountable to God if only they accept evolution. That is, they are not accepting both God and evolution, and thinking their belief in evolution gives them as 'pass' with God.

What I'm saying is that Evolution is their alternative to God - and if He does not exist, they obviously are not accountable to Him for their many sins. Evolution gives them ease of conscience.

That is not true; for many evolutionists, evolutionary biology represents the best opportunity to find out what God actually did. For many scientists, science is the search for God.

They just want to know; Did God use a lighter or a match to light the fuse?

Not believing in fairy-tales does not result in us being damned for eternity. To say different is to 'scare-monger' and the only reason to claim such a thing is for the purpose of attempting to impede the furtherance of knowledge.

What are you so scared of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I wonder if you went through this entire thread and removed all duplicate arguments, how many pages you'd be left with...

wolfsbane wrote: »

Evolution doesn't say God doesn't exist, so again I'm struggling to see how you think accepting evolution means people can pretend God isn't real and avoid punishment for sins.

Sure lots of scientists conclude God doesn't exist, but they don't do this just by virtue of accepting evolution. They do it based on reasoning, and thus would have done so without evolution. Lots of people were atheists before evolution came around.

Secondly lost of theists are also evolutionary biologists. Your notion that they are attempting to avoid God doesn't explain them.

You seem to be grasping at straws some what to find a reason to justify your notion of this vast conspiracy.

On the other hand Creationist make the claim that if evolution is true Biblical creation is a lie and God doesn't exist.

Face it Wolfsbane, Creationist have a lot more invested in being right than evolutionary biologists do. Which is why Creationism is exclusively Judeo-Christian in origin, where as everyone from atheists to Christians to Hindus to Buddists accept evolutionary biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Darwin predicted millions of transitional forms which he was convinced would be found, so much so that he was willing to risk his theory on it.

Every individual that has ever lived is a transitional form. You are a transitional form.

We are called human or Homo sapiens sapiens because we put labels on forms that share characteristics just like we put labels on different ethnic groups such as asian, black, caucasian etc.

Without international travel than all of these ethnic groups, asian, caucasian etc would eventually, over hundreds of thousands of years, develop into their own species.

In general genetically and relatively speaking (lacking modern travel);
    A person is very similar to their parents. They are a little more different in relation to their grandparents. They are a little more different in relation to their great grandparents and so forth.

That same Irish person is very similar to people in the same town / area. They are a little more different to the people in other towns / areas.

The people in that town are very similar to the people in the next nearest town. They are a little more different to the people in the other towns in the county.

The people in the country are very similar to each other. They are a little more different to the people in the nearest countries.

The people in close counties are very similar to each other. They are a little more different to the people in counties further away.

The people in the same country are very similar to each other. They are a little more different to the people in countries further away.

The people in the same continent are very similar to each other. They are a little more different to the people in other continents.

That is; You have far more much in common genetically with people who are closer to you than people who are further away. Without modern travel, if Europe and China for example remained isolated from each other for a hundred thousand years or more than the people in Europe and the people in China would probably no longer be able to interbred and would then be considered a separate species.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You mean there hasn't been a fossil found that supports Darwin's original theory. We're not going to find a fossil that disproves Darwinian evolutionary theory, we don't have to, all that needs to happen is for Darwin's prediction to be borne out, it was, the theory should be dead, it's not, it changed, go figure. :rolleyes:

/Sets phasers to sarcasm
    My God!
    A theory that is adapted to new information and evidence?!

what-has-science-done.png

So, that's Creationism sorted out; can we move on to prophecy now?

Can prophecy be avoided and if so, how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

That is; You have far more much in common genetically with people who are closer to you than people who are further away. Without modern travel, if Europe and China for example remained isolated from each other for a hundred thousand years or more than the people in Europe and the people in China would probably no longer be able to interbred and would then be considered a separate species.

Really? My understanding is that most geneticists believe that all humans are descended from a group that left Africa between 45,000 and 95,000 years ago. This would indicate tens of thousands of years of isolation between, say, Native Americans and Native Australasians. Yet I am unaware of any biological hindrances that come close to preventing interbreeding between a Cherokee and an aboriginie (Not sure if that term is PC these days).

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Really? My understanding is that most geneticists believe that all humans are descended from a group that left Africa between 45,000 and 95,000 years ago. This would indicate tens of thousands of years of isolation between, say, Native Americans and Native Australasians. Yet I am unaware of any biological hindrances that come close to preventing interbreeding between a Cherokee and an aboriginie (Not sure if that term is PC these days).

Which in no way refutes what virmilitaris has said,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement