Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card or game problem? please help!

Options
  • 25-10-2005 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

my friend got broadband on monday just so he could play counter strike he bought a ge force 5500 graphics card and counter strike source
    i have done this following procedure several times for friends but this time i encountered a problem please help
    I installed counter strike and followed all the steps properly it all went fine registered, updates,steam account etc
    we went on it and started to play before i installed the graphics card just to show him what the difference would be after we put the ge force in it was ok graphics but when you would start to move it the game would freeze and you could not move.I told him not to worry as the new card would be way better than the onboard intel one.
    We started the following steps
    1 Quit game
    2 device manager unistalled the onboard card
    3 pc off/open up the case/pop in the card into agp.
    4 pc back on
    5 installed drivers and updated drivers on on n vidia site
    6 played game after this was all finished it looked great but when you actually went to move it would freeze again
    7 its not the latency/ping it only 58
    8 I went to display properties checked that out ,9 updated direct x 9
    9 went to play again and it did not cahange anything and the more we tried to play as you would move through the map certain features would be purple or blue sheets acroos the screen I have no idea whats up now i also checked out the video settings in the options of the game
    Thanks for making it to the end of this please help me out thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is there an auto detect in the game?

Assume CS uses Cfgs so maybe the driver needed for the intel is still being called in game thus buggering up everything.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tezcat

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a memory problem to me, had the same problem b4 when I was building my girlfriends computer.

windows was operating fine on the first dimm, when i cranked up the game, I think it was SWG at the time, it froze as its memory needs increased and it tried to get juice from the next chip.
    try DLing this, if it is the memory itll help u find the faulty dimm.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

good luck with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

thanks for replying do i have to get the driver for the intel one off the net and keep that aswell as the ge force? To the second reply what do you mean by memory? ram? and dimm is that pins on the graphics card, sorry bout this.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A RAM card is known as a DIMM module.
    RAM is your memory. And your best friend.
    Post your computer specs; it'll help us to figure out your problem.

Also, have your tried lowering the settings, or disabling some features?

On a side-note, why do people always uninstall Intel drivers? I figured they wouldn't get in the way (as on-board is disabled) -- strange...

Advertisement