Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Simple sound problem (but i'm stupid)

• 26-10-2005 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

So i sort of comprimised on my earlier problem.

windows is working again, but only because i reinstalled it (now have two sitting on my computer) any way to safely remove the broken one without breaking my computer again? thankfully i kept about 90% of my stuff (lost most of my links etc) but documents and games and files are safe.

But i have a simple problem.

With a fresh XP on my computer i needed to grab drivers for my graphics card and my audio. Now graphics card was easy as i knew what type it was. But my Audio i have no idea what drivers i am meant to grab. Its not a fancy sound card or anything, just whatever was shipped with the machine from the shop (small shop thats now gone).

So is there a default set of drivers that work with almost all cards or am i forked until i find out what type of card it is. (I dont see a card inside so i'm guessing its part of the motherboard (an ASUS board)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Try:

The Belarc AdvisorPersonal PC Audit, builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

PC WIZARD 2004, is a powerful utility designed especially for detection of hardware, but also some more analysis. It's able to identify a large scale of system components and supports the latest technologies and standards.
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php

System Analyser, is a program that detects all the hardware in your computer.
    http://www.sysanalyser.com/

ASTRA, - Advanced Sysinfo Tool and Reporting Assistant. This program performs computer configuration analysis and provides detailed information (including undocumented) on your computer hardware and its working modes. Features: detects 148 processor and coprocessor types, CPU and bus frequency. Provides information on CPU features, cache, motherboard, hard disks, CD-ROM, memory modules, chipset, BIOS, PCI/AGP, ISA/PnP and PnP devices, DMI/SMBIOS, monitor, video card, sound card, network card, printer, etc. Creates a file report, able to run in command line mode.
    http://www.sysinfolab.com/

to figure out what soundcard you have.

Hopefully one should be able to identify it. Regarding the broken installation of windows you should be able to safelty just delete it (just make sure you have any files you might want from there and you should be fine, since theres a new installation all your software should be using the new installtion, ditto with the drivers). You will also need to edit your boot.ini file (control panel -> system -> advanced -> Startup & recovery settings -> edit boot options) if you are getting a choice of both installs on startup. Basically all you need to do is to delete the line of your broken install and save the file. Voila.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i have just electronically over a very long distance kissed you. You just saved my bacon.

Edit:

Well F8ck my soundcard providers, their ****ing drivers dont work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Is the sound card integrated into the motherboard or is it a PCI card? If its integrated into the board, just go to the manufacturer's site and see what drivers they have available for that board. If the motherboard uses an nvidia nForce chipset, just go to nvidia.com and download the "platform/nforce drivers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah its motherboard integrated.

at manufacturer's now. Just dont know which of the drivers to grab...so its alot of pick and mix

EDIT:
    Yes i think i got it!

Advertisement