Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site navigation help

Options
  • 19-09-2001 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

I'm currently starting a new project and I just wondering does ne1 know how I can do this- (as above)

boards.ie/vbulletin > Technology > Webmaster

How would I make the pages display their relative position-ie- the webmaster board, in the technology section etc. etc.

The sites basic design has a top frame w/ nav bar, linked to an index page for each topic. For instance: Multimedia link- opens the indexpage w/ links to music, video, pictures etc.

What I want to do is get something similar to the above so if someone wants to go back to the pictures index they dont have to go back to the main multimedia undex and click pictures again, they can just follow the path from where they came. (am I making sense!?)

thx in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

Don't know really what you mean. I guess you are trying to get a piece of code instead of hard coding it.

I'm sure you could do it in php. If you make a sort of folder tree system with each section in a diff folder.

I don't know if this is the most efficient way of going about it, but I'll just throw this idea at you. :cool:

The PHP script would grab the URL and "explode" it using the "/" this will break the address up. Then, for each entry in a string, print the directory name followed by the ">".

If someone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it too. Otherwise, I'll get crack'in on a wee bit of code for you. Will your host support php? + would you mind using the .php extension on the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

'Tis called a "bread crumb trail". Have a Google for it.

-Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

there is some javascript code to do this at http://mickweb.com/javascript/crumbs_tutorial.html

or, if you use dreamweaver there is a breadcrumbs extension available at http://www.kaosweaver.com/Extensions/ or the macromedia exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thx to everyone for contributing

You've just restored my faith in Humanity.
    (believe me its been fragile of late given world events!)

I downloaded the Dreamweaver extension & so far it looks OK!

I'll get back to you guys if theres any probs. Thx again Lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'm pretty sure a <Cftree> Tag could do it in CFM, never tryed thanks to my lovly host not allowing it :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement