Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossy Green!

• 26-10-2005 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, its like this : The front garden is infested with moss. I would say almost half of it at this stage has a green carpet look to it, very soft to stand on. Can anyone recommend a moss killer or any course of action to get rid of it?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I have found that evergreen has got rid of most of my moss. It all turns black for the first week but then the grass starts to come back and now it looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

dts wrote:
    I have found that evergreen has got rid of most of my moss. It all turns black for the first week but then the grass starts to come back and now it looks great.

Thanks for the reply. Could I get the full name of that gear off you? Can I use it this month?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LiamG

Hi

To my knowledge that is only a short term fix - ultimately moss occurs because of lack of proper aeration - basically after killing the moss you should take a fork and put holes in the ground to allow the water into the soil - this prevents the moss returning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

50% correct!
    what you need to do is rake (scarify) the be-jasus out of your lawn before you even bother with the Evergreen Complete.
    you wont believe the amount of material you will pick up.
    You really need to go at it hard, chances are when you are done you will see very little grass left and lots of bare earth.
    break it up a bit and mix in some compost (peat free) or topsoil.
    Sprinkle with seeds and then rake over to get good contact between seeds and soil/compost.
    If it doesnt rain after two days (ha! yeah right) lightly water, the seeds cannot dry out.

dont cut for about 3 weeks and you should have grass fairly soon.
    It will looks like a big muddy mess so dont walk on it.
    aeration before you seed will also be good, that soil hasnt seen oxygen for years due to the moss/thatch.

Take pictures if you can, you wont remember how bad it looked in a few months.

cut it when it gets to about 2-3 inches but dont take off more than 1/3 of its height at the begning.
    You will probably have to remove weeds manually, try and get the root and try and do it on a dry enough day.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭amerden

Would not recommend using Evergreen Complete this time of year, the last thing you want is to encourage new growth in your grass, you should use Lawn Sand (sulphate of iron mixed with sand) which will kill the moss, then again in early spring, after that give your lawn a good feed with a product like Evergreen Complete late spring and again during the summer.
    Moss killers only kill the moss that is present. They do not prevent it. The main reason for moss infestation is lack of feeding, drainage, shade and shaving the lawn when you cut it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement