Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time buy for under 2 grand?

Options
  • 26-10-2005 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for a first time car buyer with less than 2 grand to spend. Hopefully something that doesnt cost the earth to insure too.

Cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Micra,punto,corsa,starlet to name but a few,if age/insurance is not a problem you can move up in the cc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

eireal wrote:
    Micra,punto,corsa,starlet to name but a few,if age/insurance is not a problem you can move up in the cc

volkswagen polo's seem to be the best of the supermini's also. theyre fairly reliable and economical, and cheap to insure. you could get a 1995 one for about 1500 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Seat ibiza, 00 Polo running gear without the crap brakes.

Polo's are overvalued, indeed most VW's are. I own a Passat and an ibiza. having driven 5 or 6 polos, the ibiza came out on top by far and nearly 1500 quid cheaper. VW are grand, but I wont be paying a premium for one again. My sister bought a polo for the badge, and openly admitted she preferred the ibiza!

Micra's, Sunny's and Starlet's are good runarounds too.

For reliability, I would not get too tied up about brands. Take each car you go to see, regardless of badge individually. Service history (if any) condition etc. Have a google for used car guides, theres loads of useful info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to do my research. All I know is I can't stand another wet galway winter on my bike:D

Advertisement