Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Claim Question?

Options
  • 26-10-2005 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Right I had a bad crash bout 2 and half years ago, basically a car I was overtaking decided to turn abruptly into my path without looking in his mirrors or indicating. Turned out he had no insurance, so my solicitor tells me that the government will have to pay out instead. Anyone ever heard how long these cases take??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Your solicitor will tell you. There is a fund that we all subsidise that pays out in this event. Did the other guy get convicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Yeah went to court and all, he got a fine and endorsement on his license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

BrianD wrote:
    Your solicitor will tell you. There is a fund that we all subsidise that pays out in this event.
    Yep isn't it the insurance federation of Ireland? Don't think its the govt per se like the OP suggested. The govt probably helped get it set up.

Contact your insurance company (or look at your documents) then if it says something like "member of the insurance federation of Ireland", call that organisation up and ask them for how you apply for compensation under the uninsured drivers scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you basically claim off your own policy through the motor insurance beaureua (spelling??)

they have arrangements in place so that when you claim off your policy it doesnt affect your policy in any way shape or form, but you still have to get in touch with MIB to get them to send you out the forms, they are really very helpful there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

_raptor_ wrote:
    you basically claim off your own policy through the motor insurance beaureua (spelling??)

they have arrangements in place so that when you claim off your policy it doesnt affect your policy in any way shape or form, but you still have to get in touch with MIB to get them to send you out the forms, they are really very helpful there

Bear in mind that the insurance companies try and still get you for claiming, they will say they have to remove your no claims until the MIBI pay them. They have to be advised that by placing through the MIBI you cannot be affected.

• Advertisement

Why have you waited 2.5 years to ask this question?

On average it only takes a year to process through the MIBI apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Jumpy wrote:
    Bear in mind that the insurance companies try and still get you for claiming, they will say they have to remove your no claims until the MIBI pay them. They have to be advised that by placing through the MIBI you cannot be affected.
    That's rubbish. I had to claim off the MIB and nothing like that happened. My car was fixed in a matter of a few weeks after filling out the forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Don't the MIB have a €400 excess that the claimant must front?

That's rubbish. I had to claim off the MIB and nothing like that happened. My car was fixed in a matter of a few weeks after filling out the forms.

Its not rubbish...it happened to me.

Through AXA Broker. I might as well name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its only since June/July of last year that the MIBI pay out instantly for the damage to your car - and thats only in the case that you have fully comp insurance. If you have tpft it still has to go to a tribunal. The excess is €550 or so.

I had to claim off them last year after being hit by an uninsured driver, my NCB wasn't locked and there was no loading on my policy.

Phone the MIBI and ask them for the status of your case?

• Advertisement

kdevitt wrote:
    Its only since June/July of last year that the MIBI pay out instantly for the damage to your car - and thats only in the case that you have fully comp insurance. If you have tpft it still has to go to a tribunal. The excess is €550 or so.

I had to claim off them last year after being hit by an uninsured driver, my NCB wasn't locked and there was no loading on my policy.

Phone the MIBI and ask them for the status of your case?

Ah, this was several years ago for me. Sounds like a much better system now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jumpy wrote:
    Its not rubbish...it happened to me.

Through AXA Broker. I might as well name and shame.

I'd well believe it. Had trouble with that shower for 2 years running. Someone crashed into the back of my car that was also Axa Broker insured. Axa Broker treated me like the one who caused the accident. Steer clear of them ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

bubby wrote:
    I'd well believe it. Had trouble with that shower for 2 years running. Someone crashed into the back of my car that was also Axa Broker insured. Axa Broker treated me like the one who caused the accident. Steer clear of them ..
    The person who crashed into me was driving a car insured by AXA although they were not covered by the insurance. I was insured by AXA at the time. AXA took care of the repairs and gave me a hire car while the job was being done.

Jesus, why am I sticking up for an insurance company, I hate them all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

davkav wrote:
    Right I had a bad crash bout 2 and half years ago, basically a car I was overtaking decided to turn abruptly into my path without looking in his mirrors or indicating. Turned out he had no insurance, so my solicitor tells me that the government will have to pay out instead. Anyone ever heard how long these cases take??
    MIBI take care of uninsured drivers. Are you trying to sue on foot of a personal injury? If so, the case will have to go through the Personal Injury Assessment Board first - and if the MIBI don't want to go down that route you'll have to go thru court. That could take ages

If it's merely a case of you want to get a few quid to patch up the car, then the settlement, per se, shouldn't take *that* long to go through. Bear in mind that the statute of Limitations means you only have a certain amount of time to prosecute your claim...

Sorry if my first paragraph is completely irrelevant; you didn't say what exactly you wanted MIBI to fork out for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

MIBI take care of uninsured drivers. Are you trying to sue on foot of a personal injury? If so, the case will have to go through the Personal Injury Assessment Board first - and if the MIBI don't want to go down that route you'll have to go thru court. That could take ages

Completely wrong, I have a personal injury claim going through the MIBI, and its been handed over to an insurance company to look after now. I could have issued a PIAB claim, but the MIBI should be your first port of call for a claim arising from an uninsured driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

AXA took care of the repairs and gave me a hire car while the job was being done.

Course they took care of the repairs. Tried to sell your car after the accident yet?? Getting what it was worth before the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

basically I wrote off my motorbike and smashed up my leg, have permanent bars inside the bone. Basically the hospital bills are enormus and Ill pretty much have artrithis(spelling??) from an early age so the doctors say

Advertisement