Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Local Loop (WLL) Licenses

Options
  • 19-09-2001 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

The government are unlikely to be able to do anything about Eircom, mainly due to the fact it is a private company to whom we sold our communications infrastructure. Therefore I am sure they would much rather it sorted itself out in the market. Eircom have the monopoly on the last mile and are quite content that we pay per minute for the Internet or take out a second mortgage and get ADSL. Eircom would be nothing, and a lot more receptive to our needs, if it lost that monopoly.

The only other way for an operator to cover the last mile is by using a wireless technology and that leaves us with wireless in the local loop (WLL). The ODTR has issued six licenses (4 broadband and 2 narrowband) for wireless local loop (WLL).

Chorus have one of each. For all their many shortcomings they are offering a service which you can ring up, order, have installed and use. Granted I think it is only in Limerick, Dublin, and Cork at the moment but if it was available to me I would take it. Compared to the rest of the players in the market they are quite good, and that says something about the rest of the market.

Forums had a broadband license but are no more. They ran out of money and were business focused.

Esat has a broadband license too. From what I’ve read they are using it in Dublin for businesses. Dublin is the last place I would have thought needed WLL, having fibre on every street. Have they any plans to use this outside Dublin or offer a residential service?

That leaves two licenses and guess who has those? Eircom. What have Eircom done with their licenses? The same as their own copper lines?

Out of three licensees (five licenses) still in business only one licensee (two licenses) is actually using WLL to offer a telecommunications package to residential and small business customers. If I have got that right then it must be the best example of how the ODTR has failed. WLL was the technology that could have forced Eircom to be competitive and they were given two licenses!

Why have Eircom two licenses? Answers on a postcard please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Not available in Cork, and will it ever be ? Dr. Sir Anthony O'Reilly owns some O Chorus and will own some O Eircom soon. "Wireless wha ? " is what they'll both say after the sale goes through.

The wireless local loop should be given to the community. Give us all licenses. Leave us decide what technologies we want to be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by NeilF
    Granted I think it is only in Limerick, Dublin, and Cork at the moment

If you are talking about 'powernet', its not available in dublin yet, North or South. Chorus have been saying to me since february that they will be launching 'in 1 or 2 months'.
    That leaves two licenses and guess who has those? Eircom. What have Eircom done with their licenses?

I know of a company that you have not mentioned that has a broadband wireless licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by ando
    I know of a company that you have not mentioned that has a broadband wireless licence.

Another WLL license? Tell us more :) Ah go on. Go on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by NeilF
    Another WLL license? Tell us more :) Ah go on. Go on.....

I don't think i should say anything as I was contacted by them directly when I last comented on them. All I can say is that they are still in their 'beta' test, and are aimed at SME's and business users. They also told me that they were considering offering a residential product. They are waiting for the ODTR to let them expand their network (the last i was told). I tryed to test the product myself for my networking company, but was told that i was out of range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Esat have wireless leased lines in Cork I believe. Also Internet Ireland in Dublin (owned by Sir Dr Anthony O'Reilly of Valentia and Chorus ) are doing some wireless testing at the moment.

You should be able to check on the ODTRs website but they have the Nimidia virus so do not go near it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement