Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Rules Himself Out

• 26-10-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Martin O'Neill has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant managerial position with the Republic of Ireland.

O'Neill had been one of the candidates touted to replace Brian Kerr, whose contract was controversially not renewed following the failure to secure qualification for the 2006 World Cup.

At a press conference in Dublin to launch a new gaming club, O'Neill insisted he had not been approached by the Football Association of Ireland.

The former Celtic boss was adamant he would not be taking any footballing job in the foreseeable future.

He said: "I left Celtic way back from months ago, obviously for personal reasons, and for a sabbatical out of football for a while. Now these circumstances haven't changed one jot and at the moment I can't see them changing in the foreseeable future."

O'Neill is currently looking after his wife who is believed to be suffering from a serious illness.

Asked if he would still be interested in the job if the FAI delayed the appointment until next May, O'Neill insisted he currently had no timescale for a return to football.

"I genuinely don't know that and that will remain so for some time", he said.

O'Neill claimed Kerr should have retained his job although he acknowledged it had been disappointing for Ireland to miss out on qualification for Germany.

Can't say it's any suprise. His Odds have been eased to 14/1 on Paddypower.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Think you might want to change the title of the thread mate. ;)

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Your title says Kerr rules himself out. Whoever thought O'Neill would take this job were kidding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd say the FAI are waiting until the Ozzies play... Hiddink is probably their man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Dr J wrote:
    Your title says Kerr rules himself out. Whoever thought O'Neill would take this job were kidding themselves.

Someone wake me up. I copped it the second I posted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Is the gaming club Desmonds Sporting Emporium? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Not really much of a surprise this as he obviously wants to concentrate himself on caring for his wife. Its a pity as he was everyones number one choice but at least now we know for sure that he is out of the running and we can concentrate on getting somebody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As if he would manage Ireland in the first place...a waste of his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

Troussier took the Morocco job...looks like the half decent (ie experienced) candidates are falling by the wayside !

heard that the fai said that they "are in no hurry" to get a new manager as our next competitive match isnt until sept next year.....big mistake in my book...new manager needs time to bed in new players /get used to current players qualities...and the players need time to get used to a new style of football

I think a lot of people are forgetting that O'Neil was never approached by the FAI so technically he wasn't a candidate.

I have a horrible feeling that the FAI are gonna end up getting someone like Souness after he's sacked from Newcastle after a bad run after Christmas. :confused:

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that O'Neil was never approached by the FAI so technically he wasn't a candidate.

I have a horrible feeling that the FAI are gonna end up getting someone like Souness after he's sacked from Newcastle after a bad run after Christmas. :confused:

B.
    True...but according to the FAI they haven't apporached anybody yet..so nobody is technically a candidate. I suppose a lot depends on how you look at it...anybody who is rumoured to be available and interested could be called a candidate (me included :D but i don't think i'll get it!:( )

I hope we don;t get souness....seeing as he doesn't like Irish players(according to the papers anyway) hes gonna have some trouble picking a team :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

lads take a look here for the odds - depressing stuff altogether.

what the hell is Claudio Ranieri doing up there? Well at least he'd give us some funny quotes but I think we need a manager who can speak English, though I'm not that fussy on nationality as long as they're decent.

Hiddink is the man for me - anyone got any insight onto what his current circumstances/attitude on this are?

A mate high up in Addidas tells me Daglish is definitely not interested based on talk on golf course.

Reckon if they don't have someone by Christmas its because they're waiting for a Premiership manager to get sacked cos they'll be cheap and no buyout clause, though I think they need to get the balance between getting the right man and getting enough ramp-up time before qualifiers right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I personally think that it would be a big mistake to wait too long before appointing the new manager. He needs time to look at all the available players including the younger lads to see if they could do a job. He needs to let the players get used to his managerial style and the way he wants the team to play. He needs to be in place by January at the latest in my opinion so he can view the players throughout the remainder of the season and try them out in the friendly games that will happen in the lead up to the World Cup.

Not surprising Troussier took the Morocco job as it was quite clear he was not one of the FAIs prefered choices

i cant beleive liam brady is 3rd favourite...especially after he ruled himself out of the job on RTE after the swiss game! Personally of the candidates available (from the PP odds list) I'd go for George Burley with Roy keane as his assistant.

bullrunner wrote:
    i cant beleive liam brady is 3rd favourite...especially after he ruled himself out of the job on RTE after the swiss game! Personally of the candidates available (from the PP odds list) I'd go for George Burley with Roy keane as his assistant.
    He didnt really rule it out convincingly imo.
    If Oz dont make it past the play-offs, I'm sure the FAI will be grovelling to Hiddink. It would be a major coup if we got him.
    If not, I think Brady has a good chance.
    Has Burley been asked by the press? I think he'd probably want another crack in the premiership.

As far as I know George Burley hasnt commented on the Irish job yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Burley will end up at Villa. DO'L might have to take the Ireland job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Out of that lot i'd like to see Craig Burley be offered the job straight away.

maybe Aldridge, Ranieri or Harry Rednapp??<<< really think Rednapp could do a great job for Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Out of that lot i'd like to see Craig Burley be offered the job straight away.

maybe Aldridge, Ranieri or Harry Rednapp??<<< really think Rednapp could do a great job for Ireland :)

George Burley. ;)

Harry Rednapp - god no.

Hearts have contacted both Ranieri and Robson:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4378328.stm

Not only that, but the BBC are also brewing rumours that Rangers might want Burley if they lose their next European match... supposed to be the curtain call for McLeish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wouldn't mind Hearts appointing Ranieri. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

eirebhoy wrote:
    Wouldn't mind Hearts appointing Ranieri. :)

HEard this earlier this morning!! seems a strange one to be!! Ranieri was on the radio saying it would be a good job!! prob after the mess that happened at Valencia he would take any job!! would be great to see the "Tinkerman" back in UK footie.....God I loved that man's interviews.....best was when he beat Arsenal in quarterfinals and was crying at the end!! PURE LEGEND

Big Nelly wrote:
    HEard this earlier this morning!! seems a strange one to be!! Ranieri was on the radio saying it would be a good job!! prob after the mess that happened at Valencia he would take any job!! would be great to see the "Tinkerman" back in UK footie.....God I loved that man's interviews.....best was when he beat Arsenal in quarterfinals and was crying at the end!! PURE LEGEND
    And didnt he say in another interview (when he finally picked duff in the starting 11) that his mother kept phoning him to put Duff in the side, so he had to oblige!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

whiskeyman wrote:
    And didnt he say in another interview (when he finally picked duff in the starting 11) that his mother kept phoning him to put Duff in the side, so he had to oblige!
    :D

Ahh there was a good few classics over the years!!!

I saw Burley being interviewed and he was asked about taking the Ireland job and he didn't rule it out, but he also didn't seem overly keen about it either. His reckoning was that an international manager should come from the country he's managing.

B.

Advertisement