Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is ComReg needed? Why do we need a regulator?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Cable operators + Wireless licensed operators+ Esb Telecom + enet + motivation to do so = 100% eircom alternative....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

crawler wrote:
    Cable operators + Wireless licensed operators+ Esb Telecom + enet + motivation to do so = 100% eircom alternative....

+ timeframe where all those in rural locations can get broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote:

nonsense...only when they can boast a nationwide coverage can they be taken seriously as a "100% alternative"

In the meantime most of us have little alternative...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good point. Many areas are being covered with the GBS although that too often involves satellite:(

Luckily for me I happen to live in the county where Digiweb started off and so I could get their wireless service. I got it installed (finally) today:) Bye bye Eircom flatrate 25...:p

damien.m wrote:

exactly my point...hence the "motivation to do so" bit - I know people wont agree but I believe the issue of providing a 512kbps connection to over 99% of the population is easily addressed with the correct motivation and it is not a massive cost in relative terms...I do admit that the last 1% would be difficult, but not impossible. But that is just me....

• Advertisement

crawler wrote:
    I believe the issue of providing a 512kbps connection to over 99% of the population is easily addressed with the correct motivation and it is not a massive cost in relative terms.

Work away, you have my permission. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

By "motivation" do you mean Government funding?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

crawler wrote:
    Wireless licensed operators
    Snob.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

universal 512k would be fine and sure a VAT number will do instead of a licence in some rural areas with scads of unused spectrum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The problem is not Comreg,

The problem is lack of regulator power, lack of Government leadership and lack of Government decent policy, yet too much day to day interference.

Legacy of privatising Eircom before sorting out various problems. The same mistakes are being repeated with ESB, An Post and other semi-state.

Fisheries for example is too much focused on the Commercial aspect TODAY of the the fishermen and hardly at all on next generation of people in Fishing industry, the Consumer or the Environment.

Each department in Government builds empire. Smaller depts have less political power. If you want to achieve results you need FEWER more powerful departments. Perhaps combine Comreg and BCI.

Make RTE totally answerable.

Make all regulators be under the umbrella of Office of Consumer Affairs and give that real teeth with real experts on its board, not polictially appointed cronies/jobs for the boys.

• Advertisement

There are upwards of 1500-3000 complaints against telcos lodged with ComReg every year (Don't have exact figures because they wouldn't supply them to us but would supply them to others.) With the powers that ComReg have, bad as they may be they have NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER fined a telco for acting the bollox. Giving them more teeth will not change anything. As I stated before, they'll just be a poodle with teeth. It's like letting Homer Simpson be the health and safety officer of the nuclear plant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Imagine how many complaints would have been lodged if ComReg's first response wasn't a snappy "you need to exhaust all possible routes with the provider first" (even if you already detailed the exhaustive routes you've taken with these asssholes).

ComReg needs to die. Just two points prove this: Damien's above, that they're utterly incapable of disciplining their charges; and the documented fact, many times over thanks to Mr Weigl and others, that they're bare-faced liars.

adam

cgarvey wrote:
    By "motivation" do you mean Government funding?

I think we both know that money is only part of the issue....it would be foolish to say that it wouldnt require funding - but there is sensible funding and dumb funding (Western Digital Corridor comes to mind!) - equally it would be foolish to expect money alone to solve the problem too (you would just create a monopoloy/Duopoly situation that wouldnt benefit the consumer)- Might be a conversation to be had over pints me thinks!

Advertisement