Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Hosting/Using BitTorrent.

• 26-10-2005 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I noticed that a few people were interested in running servers on there broadband connection or just wondering how to allow BitTorrent uploads (which give you faster downloads).

I recently solved the problem with mine, and tested it with VNC, I got a buddy of mine to log into my computer with VNC and it worked fine.

Step 1: Enable port forwarding for each of your servers.
    Eg for HTTP(s), FTP, SSH, SMTP and BitTorrent you enable the following.
    21, 22, 25, 80, 443, 6881-6891*.
    (Go to portforward.com or ask Zoro, he wrote a really useful guide on it).

Step 2: Enable port forwarding on any routers between your modem/router and your server (I have a Netgear wireless router between my modem and my network).

Step 3: Configure Windows Firewall (or any firewall on your PC) to allow two-way internet access for BitTorrent, it should be enabled by default.

Step 4: Go to GRC.com, Shields UP and enter the ports that you opened to see if they are open, if not then make sure that your servers are running, and try again, launch the BitTorrent client and test port 6881, it should report as open, if it does then you are in business.

This guide is a little rushed, I will do up a better one with pictures during the week.

(maybe it should be made a sticky)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

if u could get the link for zoro guide add it here then stickie it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

always change your Bittorrent port from default because trackers often block them use a wierd port like 48484 :) trust me its much better

Ok heres one,Im trying to fig out.
    Im hosting my own site behind Zyxel modem, but when I type in www.domain.com I get the access page for the modem and not the website.
    I thought this may have to do with port forwarding,but I have activated this by going to Advanced>NAT>SUA Only> Detail ,there is a router between the ZyXEL and hosting PC and this is set to forward aswell

does the exact same thing with mine but when you use a pc outside the network to access it its ok

really?
    Ok Ah. do me a favor, test www.mnnetworks.net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

really?
    Ok Ah. do me a favor, test www.mnnetworks.net
    The site works fine.

grand well least other ppl can test it, does anyone know of a way that I can check it out from behind the router and I dont mean by using http://localhost........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Maybe by turning off the web managment interface, but that is a bad workaround unless you area able to use the telnet interface to turn the web interface on and off, I never tried it, but I am setting up a server and so depend on dyndns cos I dont have a static IP. Oh and your site is fine. I have the same setup as yours, it has been suggested that Zyxel users change there WAN settings from routing to bridged which requires a PPPoA connection, I am not sure if (a) BT supports it or (b) if setting the router to bridged allows the Netgear router between the network and the modem to talk directly to the internet and also get its external IP directly from BT. I will try and see, and I will post the results here.

how come your store sells free routers :S

Advertisement