Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Grange Rath?

Options
  • 26-10-2005 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Ive seen a few people that live in this area and just wondering can you get broadband? I havent rang anyone yet to enquire but some-one told me we are too far out of town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

www.net1.ie will come soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Did you check your phone number for broadband? If your phone line was installed more than 6 weeks ago then check it http://www.netsource.ie/

Unfortunately it seems that it's very unlikely you can get broadband from what I know.

I'm not sure by your post Leanne but if you don't actually live there or have a phone line yet, then you could get at least 2 phone numbers from people living there and check them in the above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

Broadband is already available in Grange Rath from Digiweb ... visit www.digiweb.ie or give a call to 1800 285828 for info....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Thanks for your help peeps. Ill give digiweb a call.

• Advertisement

~Leanne~ wrote:
    ?????
    Whats wrong with you?

call net1, 1800946444 iam very sure theyll be coming there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

In Roschoill myself and have BT bb and working fine. Took it's time mind but we had to get the phoneline reconnected first.

The esb or similar consider grange rath to be the country despite it's size and density of housing. However it is a new estate so IMO there should not be a problem getting bb off of some provider.

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

We have abandoned any plans for Grangerath over 18 months ago - A wireless solution will not work for 300 subscribers in such a small area and the commitee do not want a cable solution as suggested - we still receive approx 10 enquiries per week so any Wireless operator who thinks that this will work -- go ahead !!!

Grange Rath has its own exchange, a wee fibre-optic box in the estate somewhere (not sure exactly where). Eircom haven't enabled it.

Given that it counts as an exchange and it only serves one housing estate, albeit big, eircom will take their time enabling it. It's not a proper exchange in that only Grange Rath numbers connect to it at the moment. All the older lines go straight to Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Net1 wrote:
    A wireless solution will not work for 300 subscribers in such a small area and the commitee do not want a cable solution as suggested
    wtf would be wrong with a cable solution ? comiteee should be hung with said cable

• Advertisement

bushy... wrote:
    wtf would be wrong with a cable solution ? comiteee should be hung with said cable
    Lol. Greedy cnuts shouldn't be complaining when they're offered that...

Let them go out further into the countryside, wireless with Net1 (€349 install fee) or Digiweb (1Mb/128kb for €35 a month) are the only options.

Those of you living there, tell your "committee" to cop on to themselves.Are they that worried if a black cable runs along the soffit boards??

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I was looking for BB in Grange Rath for a long time.

The only providers of BB are Digiweb or Irishbroadband.

Now Irishbroadband have a bad rep. But I found them better than Digiweb.

If you just want to surf the net etc... not play games online, then just get the cheapest out of the two. Other wise I would recommend Irishbroadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Viewed a house there during the week. Asked the estate agent about broadband - said "Eircom say it will be available in 2-3 months".

I actually believe he was telling the truth - i.e. quoting Eircom; but we all know what this means :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bubonicus wrote:

Now Irishbroadband have a bad rep. But I found them better than Digiweb.

Do explain. IBB at the every least have been well-discussed.
    I am with Didgiweb and have been for over 4 months.I have absolutely no complaints on any score. I'd have no problem recommending them.

is that so ... "Do explain. IBB at the every least have been well-discussed."

Well IBB do have a bad rep around boards. that been said. If you want to play online games I would get IBB instead of Digiweb. Better and more stable pings with IBB also better contention ratio's.

Also for 35ish a month with IBB you get 1mb up/down

Didgweb for 35ish a month you get 1mb down 256/512 up. They changed their packages recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I have digiweb over a year and a half at this stage, and I only live down the road a bit from grange rath.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just a quick update for anybody else living in Grange Rath. I rang Eircom today who told me the exchange has now been enabled and simply requires a line check to confirm that your number is good to go. The salesperson I was talking to said she would have one done within 5 days or so and then i'll be laughing. All lines will be checked sooner or later, as its only been enabled recently.

Happy days :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 symbol-soup

After trying pretty much every method of getting Broadband in Grange Rath I can confirm that Eircom gave me a simillar story yesterday. Great news if it's true. The exchange is scheduled to go live in September. Eircom advised me to keep checking the 'is your line enabled yet' on their webpage.

For anyone not prepared to wait you can get broadband by satellite from a company called skydsl in Germany. It's upto 16Meg doenload speed for €69 euro a month. THe only problem is that it's ISDN upstream so upload stuff can take ages. It's also no good for VoIP (Skype etc) and games as the repsonse is slow because of the distance travelled.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Mother feckin, sons of....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just rang back up to day to find out they made a mistake and the Grange Rath exchange is not actually enabled... AAARRRRGGGHHHH

Turns out that broadband 'is in the area' and thats how they got confused.

Delly,

Have you tried IBB or digiweb? feck Eircom......

• Advertisement

bubonicus wrote:
    Delly,

Have you tried IBB or digiweb? feck Eircom......
    I've thought of them all right but for a couple of reasons I have decided against them. The first being reliability as I would probably start working from home if I could get it 100% guaranteed.

Ethier way Eircom say they will defo have it enabled before the end of the year. I reckon i'll leave it till the new year and if it isn't enabled by then, I may be forced to go wireless.

Delly,

I have IBB breeze. 2mb line. With a voip ATA, on blueface. I also play alot online.

I never had any real problems. My pings for gaming very rarely go up for a few hours. But it's still playable. I usually get pings of 30-50 on Battlefield 2.

The quality of VOIP is like a normal phone. On top of that I am cancelling Eircom soon. Oh the money I will save.

It's worth looking into. Until they build the colpe cross development and I loose my line of sight:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Why is everyone pretty much ignoring Digiweb? You won't need a phone line either.

kc66 wrote:
    Why is everyone pretty much ignoring Digiweb? You won't need a phone line either.

I don't think they are. There are plenty of Digiweb antenna's around Grange Rath.

I suggested IBB because from experiance I find them better. But by all means, please use Digiweb. It will help my contention ratios.

I'm happy camper every time I see a Digiweb antenna go up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Anyone living on the Colpe Road (across road from grange rath)? friend of mine lives there and wants Broadband ... what are her bb options?... (just for general browsing/emails)... Thanks ...:)

justagirl wrote:
    Anyone living on the Colpe Road (across road from grange rath)? friend of mine lives there and wants Broadband ... what are her bb options?... (just for general browsing/emails)... Thanks ...:)

http://www.digiweb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Whats wrong with you?

call net1, 1800946444 iam very sure theyll be coming there

this the net 1 ive been ringing almost every week since july to get a line test and they STILL aint come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

My personal experience of Digiweb is not good. The service was excellent initially. My d/l and u/l speeds are P*ss poor. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I have been fobbed of by Support, I sent them test I ran showing 30% packet losses. They did send a guy to look at the antenna. Packet loss reduced but d/l and u/l speeds are crap. If anyone would like to see copies of the speedtests, using Digiweb's speedtest utility, I will quiet happily email them. I currently get d/l speed of 256k and upload of 72k. I actually pay for the small business package, lower contention ratio etc. I live off the Boulevard, it may be better on other parts of the estate.

If I were you I would wait for Eircom to enable the excahnge, then see if you can go with BT, there 2mb package costs €54 a month inc 'unlimited' landline calls to IRL and UK.

My contract finishes in June/July with Digiweb.....it wont be re-newed.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

ok, so I think in a couple of days eircom new exchange is comin to life. but I really don't want eircom, so tell me, any recent news about digiweb?

• Advertisement

this the net 1 ive been ringing almost every week since july to get a line test and they STILL aint come out?

Keep trying :o

Advertisement