Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Grange Rath?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If you want reliable broadband in Grange Rath, then DSL is the way to go. There's too many subscribers to Digiweb in the estate I hear. It looks like there's fewer Irish Broadband aerials about the place so they should be a better bet.

I'd say the €40 for BT's bundle would be worth it. And yes, every house in Grange Rath will be able to get DSL in the next week or so. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 de_roiste

Tamlink.. you will have to get a phone line but you won't have to go with Eircom.

Utv have good deals. 3mb down 356 up.. Contention is good. And they do deals on your calls.

The signal for Digiweb varies depending on what area of the estate you are in. Same with IBB.. I can't get it where I am in Park Place.

To be Confirmed... Do we know for definite when it will be done? Eircom still stay the exchange is not upgraded and all we have to go on is a flyer from Tommy Byrne!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The auto checker on the Eircom website stills says it aint, but I rang up a rep yesterday who said he could see that the exchange was now being upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

de_roiste wrote:
    Tamlink.. you will have to get a phone line but you won't have to go with Eircom.

Utv have good deals. 3mb down 356 up.. Contention is good. And they do deals on your calls.

? Utv? what's that?

ok, metro from digiweb - nope.
    eircom claims, that they don't know when
    IBB - not likely, I need a LAN connection, not USB

what else? heeelp :)

update: aaah, google works. utv cannot connect me to broadband, just dial up. impossible to play on xboxlive :/

Eircom claim they don't know when??!?! That's some monkey in a call centre saying that. The engineers know when, and though I haven't been in contact with eircom, IrelandOffline enquired about grange rath and they said "late June/early July"

Also, there was a planning application in the paper about 3 months ago for a new exchange building and ancilliary works in the paper, for grange rath.

Trust me, unless there is some severe unexpected toothing problem, the exchange will be live this month.

for the whole grange rath? I called again, some girl told me that yes, exchange is being upgraded, but not all numbers will be connected to it. mine not :(

Ah:(

That confirmed what I feared. Only some numbers (9818xxx) are definetely connected to the Grange Rath subexchange. There are other numbers in the estate too which seem to be simply long lines from Drogheda. I thought they would move over those lines to the new exchange.

However, eircom have extended the "may be suitable" distance to 5 miles, so those numbers in Grange Rath should also be able to get some form of broadband.

R U sure?
    My number starts with 041 9818*** but still I cannot have broadband installed :/

no digiweb as well...

hmmm, it seems no online for me as for now

• Advertisement

Yes, that belongs to the Grange Rath exchange, which is being rebuilt and will have DSL in it. It still hasn't finished yet it seems but it will be done by the end of the month. Unless some other random delay appears.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yes, that belongs to the Grange Rath exchange, which is being rebuilt and will have DSL in it. It still hasn't finished yet it seems but it will be done by the end of the month. Unless some other random delay appears.
    I remember seeing the planning permission for this a while back, but don't know exactly where it is. If I did know, I could turn up on a daily basis to hurl abuse at them to speed things up :D.

sooo... now tell me straight: you are advising me to wait till the end of the month (one week :)) instead of goin for three 3g broadband? I would prefer it, but don't want to wait indefinitely :/

exactly. I DON'T want 3G - it is not good for playing online, wrrrrrr where do I live, countryside? stupid people.

Anybody heard something about digiweb introducing something brand new, up to 5Mb and wireless? I had a call, I can't have wireless due to poor coverage, they wanted me to take DSL from them, when I said that my line does not support it, girl asked if I would be interested in something like this and if I want to be called when they launch it.

it's within 3-4 months though

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

tamlinek wrote:
    ? Utv? what's that?

ok, metro from digiweb - nope.
    eircom claims, that they don't know when

what else? heeelp :)

update: aaah, google works. utv cannot connect me to broadband, just dial up. impossible to play on xboxlive :/

IBB Breeze is a Lan Connection they run a cat 5 cable from the dish on the roof into a p.o.e and a crossover from the p.o.e to your p.c/router if on their 5.4 gear or a strait-thru if on their 3.5 gear which you would be on in grange rath

according to IBB coverage map I havo no coverage at Grange Rath :/

talked with lads from eircom doin sth near the exchange. was told, that everything is connected, and that it's just a matter of deciding - "we are goin live". c'mon eircom!

Tried this two days ago and was getting 'Line not suitable', tried it now and am getting 'Line suitable for Broadband but will not support the speed of the product you have chosen. Please choose a lower speed product.'

Sounds to me like they have enabled the DSL but haven't done the line test yet. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

It tells me, my line is suitable now. YES!!!!!

I am on a 9846 number.

bubonicus wrote:
    It tells me, my line is suitable now. YES!!!!!

I am on a 9846 number.
    Lucky git :p. I'm on a 9877 number, so i'll have to query what it means.

delly wrote:

:D , what company are you going to go with Delly?

delly wrote:

:D , what company are you going to go with Delly?

brilliant.... just checked, number 041 9818...

eircom broadband is currently unavailable in your local exchange.

At present, we are trialling WiMax technology. On successful completion of this trial we intend to roll out the service to the following urban centres; Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway starting July / August 2007.

WiMax will only be available to customers who do not qualify for broadband over the standard telephone network..
    WiMax (World-wide Interoperability for Microwave) is broadband delivered over radio waves instead of a fixed line. Sign up for our WiMax trial now

UAAAA, I will explode!!!!

Going with Eircom just to keep it simple.

When I rang up they said that they couldn't 100% guarantee it would work, but that is usually the case with recent upgrades so they are processing the order anyway.

If I were you tamlinek, I would ring up and speak to someone to see what they say (1800 200 300).

Ordered with no issues(touch wood)

I can finally get rid of IBB, which seems to be getting worse and worse with each passing day.

Well my linecheck is now coming up ok, so I think tamlinek will be grand.

ufffff

relieved. called, ordered, and I'm happy. believed the guy on the line, that it's better to go for 1mb and check how it works. guess they don't want to abuse this brand new exchange with extreme downloads ;) I'll update online if it works fine, as soon as I check :]. now...just my phone watch waiting for me. Thx everybody for participating in this thread, we're saved!

• Advertisement

So good and bad news.

I'm nearly certain that the non-9818xxx numbers are passing because the line distance has been extended to 5 miles. I think the first lines in Grange Rath were connected to the original Drogheda exchange but later the RSU was put in to meet demand and it has the number range 9818.

In the long term, 9818xxx numbers will get better speeds. The other lines will be too long to support anything more than 1 mbps. But the new exchange should be able to deliver the full speed over lines only a few hundred metres long.

But the distance limit extension was months ago, which makes this strange. I live 4 miles out of town and my line is "may be suitable" since May or June.

Advertisement