Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Grange Rath?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

*Finally* the grange rath exchange is definetely upgraded. I typed in a couple of randon 9818xxx numbers into the line checker. The second number I tried was recognised by the system and it came up as a pass.

So now virtually everyone in Grange Rath should have access to DSL:)

BT Ireland have line rental and 1 mbit broadband for €39. The highest speed available with any provider is 3 mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

So good and bad news.

I'm nearly certain that the non-9818xxx numbers are passing because the line distance has been extended to 5 miles. I think the first lines in Grange Rath were connected to the original Drogheda exchange but later the RSU was put in to meet demand and it has the number range 9818.

In the long term, 9818xxx numbers will get better speeds. The other lines will be too long to support anything more than 1 mbps. But the new exchange should be able to deliver the full speed over lines only a few hundred metres long.

But the distance limit extension was months ago, which makes this strange. I live 4 miles out of town and my line is "may be suitable" since May or June.

I'm not sure what the buzz is.

My line is a 9846 number and has been not suitable for BB up until the start of this week. Now it is.

If the line distance extension was months ago, i think i would have been suitable months ago.

Maybe they have moved everybody to the new exchange?

There's a couple of possibilities, but they all involve those lines physically being reconnected from the Drogheda exchange to the Grange Rath one. I don't know if eircom would be able to move numbers from one exchange to another, as exchanges are meant to have assigned number ranges so that the system knows where to send calls to, efficiently.

Is the line passing properly or is it "may be suitable"??

It doesn't matter too much now I guess. People can now get decent broadband in Grange Rath.

There's a couple of possibilities, but they all involve those lines physically being reconnected from the Drogheda exchange to the Grange Rath one. I don't know if eircom would be able to move numbers from one exchange to another, as exchanges are meant to have assigned number ranges so that the system knows where to send calls to, efficiently.

Is the line passing properly or is it "may be suitable"??

It doesn't matter too much now I guess. People can now get decent broadband in Grange Rath.

It has said "not suitable" for the last five years. Then last Monday it went to "Suitable".

At no stage did it ever say "may be suitable". makes me wonder!!

I have ordered the 2mb package , so I hope if i'm on the extended distance exchange that I can actually get somewhere near 2mb.

When you (finally!!) get your modem, could you let me know what the attenuation is on the home page of the router??

• Advertisement

When you (finally!!) get your modem, could you let me know what the attenuation is on the home page of the router??

no problem.

well blow me - 10/5db

must be on the colpe exchange , YAY

*first post on my new eircom bb.

but my wireless network seems to be a bit weak from the hall to the extension where my PC is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well feck that anyway. I just missed the postie knocking on my door today, he must have had the modem, but didn't leave one of those 'missed delivery' notes which is strange.

The postman didn't leave a docket?? They should have. If you give your name and address in the mail centre just off Marley's lane, you may just get it.

And thanks for that attenuation figure! Well there's no doubt that your number and line was removed to the RSU.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Panic over, the postie called back with a package for the wife this morning. Damn you oxendales, damn you to hell.

I got a Draytek router in work i'm gonna hook up later to see if its active, here's hoping.

• Advertisement

So, I came home on Wednesday to find the line still not active so I rang Eircom on Thursday morning who told me the order was cancelled. Needless to say I was a tad annoyed at this and the woman explained that it must have been when I first cancelled my phone order, they also cancelled my online order.

Anyhow, she said she would reorder it asap. I came back home this evening to check with my Draytek router and what to you know its active. So i configured the router and am now happily surfing away. Really smooth connection and seem to be getting the full 2 meg at the moment.

Ok, got my Netopia router today and my attenuation 9/4 dB. What does this mean exactly?

delly wrote:
    Ok, got my Netopia router today and my attenuation 9/4 dB. What does this mean exactly?

This means you are closer to the exchange than i am:D . I have 10/5 dB.

Basically it means you have a **** hot line that could take upto 20Mb/s on ADSL2+ (if Ireland ever gets it)

The lower the better on Line attenuation.

see this thread for more details. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055161233

Wow, that does make me feel good. We wait for so many years and when it does come its better than we hoped. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

so 16/8 is rather crappy :/ hopefuly they will add some signal enhancer at some point

tamlinek wrote:
    so 16/8 is rather crappy :/ hopefuly they will add some signal enhancer at some point

thats still good

Advertisement