Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Watershed

• 26-10-2005 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just a poll and really to see your views on bad lanuage, violence and sex on before 9pm.

Personally I would not get rid of Bad lanuage or Sex but would get rid of Violence if I had to get rid of one of the 3.

I amn't putting up all 3 or just 2.

If you had to get rid of any of the following from a TV Show which would it be: - 27 votes

Violence
    0% 0 votes
    Sex
    51% 14 votes
    Bad Language
    48% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

wheres the poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hold on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how about the keep them all option

on premium pay tv channels there should be no restrictions ala HBO and Showtime in the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is some black and white advert on at the moment... possibly for Chanel... but the whole thing is just lingering shots of the guys bare tight ass cheeks and it's shown during the day... it seems like a bit much to me...

but anyway... get rid of the violence.. I can do without that...

how about the keep them all option

You have to choose to get rid of one and one only. I just want to see which one people would get rid off.

I am only talking about main stream channels.

So basically you have a TV programme that contains some SEX (such as the chanel ad, or any redox ad nothing OTT), a bit of voilence (some one is shot, stabbed or is in a fight) and bad lanuage (such as F u C k, S h I t). Each are contained in three seprate scenes but in essiance the show is suitable to be shown before 9, which scene do you edit? you can only edit one and you must keep at least two scene (if you get rid of any more then two scene then you loss the meaning of the show).

• Advertisement

Can you comment on why you are choosing the option that you are choosing.

Personnelly I think Violence has more of an effect on children then Sex (Again when I say sex I am taking about sex scenes that aren't OTT on the Sex, I probable shouldn't call them sex scenes).

I hate when bad lanuage is beeped, blanked or changed to something like Trucking Tanker ect.

And could those that have vote out SEX please give a comment please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

Im saying sex just because its incredibly awkward when you see it on a show and your parents are in the room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

agree on the awkward bit.
    preferably id keep all three.
    at once. well maybe not the violence. Unless its nude mud-wrestling cheerleaders with torretts syndrome :D
    yes im white trash, get over it.
    But yeah id vote sex. Nothing added to the story line so it's just there to get your rocks off. 90% of sex scenes are cringeworthy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'll get rid of sex because there doesn't actually seem to be any on tv post-watershed anyway ... or at least nothing that satisfies my own base levels of debauchery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I wouldn't get rid of any of them. My view would be that onscreen ratings like those on RTE and in the US should be enough of a guide to the content of a series at any time.

Obviously before 9pm, there's a limit to how much is allowed, but most of the UK soaps have sex, violence and swearing and they don't get censored.

• Advertisement

TCamen wrote:
    most of the UK soaps have sex, violence and swearing and they don't get censored.

since when do they swear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well sex is an essential and important part of human existence, swearing doesn't really matter... violence is really the only one we can do without.

since when do they swear?

NEVER. ITV and the BBC don't let them. RTÉ allow words like Sh it, bastard, bitch and feck.

Again not to repeat myself the I really shouldn't be call sex scenes sex scenes I am talking about Particial Nudity (a bit of a nipple, bit of brest, a back side), nothing OTT.

Again we have to think of the children, thats why you must get rid of one. If you had to pick one which one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Calling somebody a "Cúnt" seems to still be bit taboo as well. Do any of the main channels allow it yet? Hopefully FairCity will be first to use it as they're already saying things like "piss off" and the term would aptly describe most of the characters on the show anyway.

Dolores : "Sure you're only a stupid blonde cúnt"
    Nicola : " Excuse me?!?! Fúck off you cúnt-faced bollix"
    Mondo : "C'mon now! Break it up ya pair a ugly cúnts"

Dolores : "Sure you're only a stupid blonde cúnt"
    Nicola : " Excuse me?!?! Fúck off you cúnt-faced bollix"
    Mondo : "C'mon now! Break it up ya pair a ugly cúnts"

:D

Ok that a bit much even for Fair City.

**** and bollix are words that I would remove from the pre-watershed hours.

I have the used bollix in Fair City yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

RTE have started to bleep the word cúnt, as I recently saw on a Des Bishop programme. There's no need to bleep or censor swear words, we're all adults.

Except for two girls I used to live with, they used to have a minor breakdown if they ever heard the word cúnt, repressed bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Before the watershed you have to consider the family audience so nothing beyond a "12 cert" should be shown. I dont like gratuitous bad language any time to be honest.

I honestly would'nt BAN anything after 9 pm once you have passed the watershed then its gloves off. A warning might be required but otherwise - let rip!

Back in the 70s/early 80s tv was far more explicit (I'm talking BBC/ITV obviously) in both sex and violence than now or maybe its the way it was done back then - raw.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

RTE have started to bleep the word cúnt, as I recently saw on a Des Bishop programme. There's no need to bleep or censor swear words, we're all adults.

Except for two girls I used to live with, they used to have a minor breakdown if they ever heard the word cúnt, repressed bitches.
    Aye, I noticed that on the work experience thing; they bleeped out cúnt but left in fúck and other swearwords, which seemed a bit weird to me.

but isnt cúnt regarded as being the worst swear word ever

Before the watershed you have to consider the family audience so nothing beyond a "12 cert" should be shown. I dont like gratuitous bad language any time to be honest.

Yes that is why I am asking which you would choose.

Take LOST for example it was show in the US and here at 7pm. I felt that the show shouldn't be show before nine because of the Violence, but yet we seem to have a problem with Bad Lanuage and Sex rather then Violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Mossy Monk wrote:
    but isnt cúnt regarded as being the worst swear word ever

Across the water, yes. But for years you could hear it on Irish TV, but now its been censored.

Its strange that because you cant say it, its now the funniest word.

Ironically

are censored on boards

Why aren't the following?

crap which is the same as ****
    bollix which is the opposite to ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

If I had to pick one, it would be sex. I'm sick of seeing bare asses when I'm trying to eat my dinner.

From www.bci.ie
    Irish viewers and listeners are most likely to be offended by issues of violence sex and swearing, when seen or listened to on TV or radio a recent attitudinal survey has found. The survey also found that a quarter of the population claimed they had never been offended by anything on radio or television, while only 1% complained to the broadcaster about an item they deemed to be offensive. The attitudinal survey was conducted by Lansdowne Market research and commissioned by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI), as part of the development of its Code of Programme Standards.

When asked, top of mind, what offends on television or radio nowadays, 46% mentioned violence of any kind, 23% cited sex, while 22% found swearing and coarse language offensive. However, an important theme running throughout the survey results was the issue of context. Those interviewed found depiction of a graphic rape scene more acceptable as part of a detective drama than in a soap opera; 68% versus 88%, while comedians swearing or using coarse language on a comedy show was more acceptable than someone swearing as part of a news item; 39% versus 64%. Another important trend to emerge was in relation to time of broadcast, with issues of violence, sex, or coarse language being more acceptable for late night broadcasting than earlier in the day.

The attitudinal survey tried to determine the least acceptable swear words among those interviewed. The five least acceptable included two racial taunts, a sexual reference, a disability reference, as well as a term with religious connotations.

The depiction of minorities was also a potential source of offence for interviewees. A significant 80% stated that they would find strong negative statements being made about people with disabilities as part of a news report either fairly or totally unacceptable, while 74% said jokes about people with disabilities were unacceptable. Similarly, strong negative statements about gays and lesbians, Travellers, religious groups and immigrants were found to be either fairly or totally unacceptable for approximately 63% of the population.

Speaking about the survey results, Chief Executive of the BCI, Michael O’Keeffe said, “I believe that the survey results are particularly important as they give us a snapshot of opinion in Ireland on what most offends. They provide a backdrop for the Commission as it considers the submissions received to the first phase of consultation, and will additionally provide an important context as we set about devising specific provisions for the new Code of Programme Standards”.

The nationwide attitudinal survey is representative of the Irish population aged 15+ and was conducted among 1,000 people at 63 locations throughout the Republic of Ireland. The survey results displayed no distinct differences across the various social classes, but found that those surveyed in Dublin were slightly more offended by issues of sex and coarse language than across the rest of the country. On issues of swearing or violence, the survey found no distinct differences between those who had dependent children and those who did not.

This nationwide attitudinal survey was conducted by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland as part of phase one of the development of the Code of Programme Standards. This phase also included a public consultation process, together with a workshop at which all of the relevant issues were discussed with broadcasters. All of the information gathered will be considered by the Board of the BCI at its meeting in December and a statement of outcomes on phase one will be published before the end of 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Believer

I would love to leave out all three as I see no reason to have them in as lots of folk find one or another offensive and we all pay our tv their licence, I believe they should be left out. They are all gratuitous anyway and are there mostly for the fellas.:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I'd vote to lose the sex 'cos by and large there's less chance of you losing any element of character development by missing a spot of horizontal jogging.
    In other words a spot of snappy dialogue can show a lot about a character - and probably more relevant to the, erm, thrust of the plot than their, um, other oral techniques

Ditto the violence - it'll tend to lend more to the plot.

I'd vote to lose the sex

See with sex I am talking full on as I have said be for. "Artistic" lol.

But I am also taking about adds where women and men do show some skin or shows where people show skin.
    Ditto the violence - it'll tend to lend more to the plot.

Ok take LOST it was show in the States and here in Ireland before the watershed.

IMO there is alot of violence in that show. I like the show but is it suitable for before 9?

Advertisement