Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you would settle in Maynooth?

Options
  • 26-10-2005 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I presume the majority of people here are in college seeing as it's the NUIM forum but do any of you think you would settle here after you leave college? Say if you got a job locally or in Dublin. I never thought I would but lately I'm starting to see that there's life outside the college here and it's quite good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Hmmm...maybe, I like the fact that it has a train station, otherwise I definatley would`nt. I certainley would`nt be against staying here. But I lke to move around a bit, not settling in one place (i`m a bit of an itinerant), I`d like to live in France or Itlay for awhile.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i still live in maynooth and finished college there a couple of years ago, so do some of my housemates, sure it's a grand wee town...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

A mate of mine still hasn't left the place inspite of graduating in 1999. I reckon he's a lifer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Possibly. Depends on where I get a job. If it's here or Dublin I'd probably stay put, despite not really being happy here the last year or so I've made some good friends here now and am more settled....though I think if I had to work in Dublin I might move to Lucan or Clonsilla or somewhere less studenty. Maynooth's a nice place to live though, I wouldn't mind living here for a few years. I'll eventually end up moving back to Cork though, I'll definitely settle there hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Defo. well, kinda.
    Been here five years now and i couldnt imaging living anywhere else.
    I've moved to celbridge, which is so much nicer because of the absense of student eejits around the place. i have no intention of going anywhere. this is me.
    plus, the kildare countryside is so pretty when the sun shines...:)

• Advertisement

Yeah Celbridge looks lovely, what are the locals like Catho? Saying that I mean what's the talent like in the local pubs ;) You all set for your party?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Went to college here, live here, work here.... It's a good town alright. I won't be here forever though. There's a lot more of planet earth to explore.

Went to college here, live here, work here.... It's a good town alright. I won't be here forever though. There's a lot more of planet earth to explore.

Exactly. Like Cork for example :D

ClareBear wrote:
    Exactly. Like Cork for example :D

Been years since I was there. Last time I was in Cork, I was a nipper. I'll have to check it out and see if it's as good as you make it out to be! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ClareBear wrote:
    though I think if I had to work in Dublin I might move to Lucan or Clonsilla or somewhere less studenty.

Don't do Clonsilla!!! Just... don't!

• Advertisement

Ah Cork ain't no Leixlip but it has it's good sides :)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Don't do Clonsilla!!! Just... don't!

Why not? I think it's a nice enough place.

Lived here all my life, its terrible! Ridiculous traffic, crammed trains, lots of what we call "scumbags", too many problems to mention.

I wouldn't mind living just outside Maynooth myself. Plenty of green, and once I could avoid the traffic of the town it would be a decent commute into Dublin.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Lived here all my life, its terrible! Ridiculous traffic, crammed trains, lots of what we call "scumbags", too many problems to mention.

I wouldn't mind living just outside Maynooth myself. Plenty of green, and once I could avoid the traffic of the town it would be a decent commute into Dublin.

I got the impression that Clonsilla was full of professionals in nice apartments....guess I'm wrong :)

It has had some nice apartments built recently (they'll probably set you back a bit, but thats another issue) but its mostly just housing estates. I guess anyone would get slightly sick of a place having lived there for 20 years. I know its a cliche and all, but there really isn't much for the younger people to do around here without spending tonnes of money. Also, if you have to get into/out of the city at rush hour you'll either have to put up with the Calcutta Express train or the crammed and slow buses.

Leixlip's not that bad once you don't wander too far into it. Make sure you bring plenty of pepper-spray and you'll be fine.
    Clonsilla's not the nicest place either by all accounts. My brother had his phone and iPod stolen at the train station there and his friend was hit in the head with a brick.

Clonsilla's not the nicest place either by all accounts. My brother had his phone and iPod stolen at the train station there and his friend was hit in the head with a brick.

All too common an occurance. I've never actually been attacked in Clonsilla, probably because I know my way around fairly well, but some of my mates had their phones stolen at a bus stop a while back. Plenty of burglaries etc...

The only time I was actually attacked was in Maynooth strangely, lost two teeth last October in a completely random unprovoked attack on my way to the train.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    All too common an occurance. I've never actually been attacked in Clonsilla, probably because I know my way around fairly well, but some of my mates had their phones stolen at a bus stop a while back. Plenty of burglaries etc...

The only time I was actually attacked was in Maynooth strangely, lost two teeth last October in a completely random unprovoked attack on my way to the train.

Jesus, I hope you got to sock at least one of them a good one. *****.
    I suppose anywhere you go close to Dublin is gonna be dodgy enough. I'm yet to be set upon but God help the person who tries it. :mad: There's a lot to be said for knowing you're away around certain areas. i.e. you know where to avoid late at night. But in your case, there's not much you can do if you're going for a train. Did it happen at the canal? You get knob-ends hanging around there a lot.

Jesus, I hope you got to sock at least one of them a good one. *****.

Haha, I wish! I got one punch and was knocked out. Spent half the night in Blanch hospital having my lip sewn up and had 10+ visits to the dentist having my teeth "sorted". Didn't even see the guy who hit me...

I did get onto the front and third page of the local paper (can't remember the name of it, Liffey Champion perhaps?) though, so every cloud and all that... :D

That would be the Liffey Champion. Ah sure, if it got you laid and an unlimited supply of ice-cream, then it was all for the best. ;):D

• Advertisement

That would be the Liffey Champion. Ah sure, if it got you laid and an unlimited supply of ice-cream, then it was all for the best. ;):D

If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

ClareBear wrote:
    Yeah Celbridge looks lovely, what are the locals like Catho? Saying that I mean what's the talent like in the local pubs ;) You all set for your party?? :D

hehehe, if you were coming to the party i could personally introduce you to all the talent you'd need! ;)

ah seriously, celbridge is lovely.
    but i think all towns have good and bad parts, good and bad people.
    tbh, i dont give a damn what the place is like, i have THE most beautiful house, and it makes me happy to live there so i wouldnt care if it was in timbucktoo.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Haha, I wish! I got one punch and was knocked out. Spent half the night in Blanch hospital having my lip sewn up and had 10+ visits to the dentist having my teeth "sorted". Didn't even see the guy who hit me...

I did get onto the front and third page of the local paper (can't remember the name of it, Liffey Champion perhaps?) though, so every cloud and all that... :D

I remember people talking about that at the time, you poor thing :( Scumbags! :mad:

hehehe, if you were coming to the party i could personally introduce you to all the talent you'd need! ;)

ah seriously, celbridge is lovely.
    but i think all towns have good and bad parts, good and bad people.
    tbh, i dont give a damn what the place is like, i have THE most beautiful house, and it makes me happy to live there so i wouldnt care if it was in timbucktoo.

Hurrah! ;)

ClareBear wrote:
    I remember people talking about that at the time, you poor thing :( Scumbags! :mad:

Haha, thats mad! Cheers!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Haha, thats mad! Cheers!

I'm thinking you're not a big fan of Maynooth now after that happening to you. Just bad luck I suppose, well glad you're fine now :)

ClareBear wrote:
    I'm thinking you're not a big fan of Maynooth now after that happening to you. Just bad luck I suppose, well glad you're fine now :)

Nah I love Maynooth just as much now! I'm just really really cautious walking up at the canal beside the train station at dark. :p

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Nah I love Maynooth just as much now! I'm just really really cautious walking up at the canal beside the train station at dark. :p

Gotcha ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Sorry about the bump, but to answer the initial question, I would have to give a resounding no. I used to think Maynooth was alright but the smell of manure in the place these past few days has put me off :mad:. Before you say it, you never get that smell in Leixlip, even if it technically is Kildare.

I guess that's the price you have to pay for living in a relatively scumbag-free town.

• Advertisement

I used to think Maynooth was alright but the smell of manure in the place these past few days has put me off :mad:. Before you say it, you never get that smell in Leixlip, even if it technically is Kildare.

No, you don't get that smell of manure in Leixlip..... but you do get an overwhelming smell of sewerage in Leixlip village instead. It's far worse than any stench you ever get in Maynooth. I've never noticed any unpleasant odours around here tbh, not with any alarming frequency anyway.

Advertisement