Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever recieved a symmetrical meal form mcdonalds?

• 26-10-2005 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

Or any other fast food restaurant?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Jaysus. Is there any point to this thread? As is, I can't move it at the mo.

Clarify your question, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Maybe the OP has a severe case of OCD or autism and all his meals must be symmetrical and he wants to know what Fast food places he can eat in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've never gotten a BigMac that looked as pretty as the one in the picture on the wall, but I remember getting a carton of perfectly vertical fries once. Like a parade of soldiers standing to attention ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Maybe the OP has a severe case of OCD or autism and all his meals must be symmetrical and he wants to know what Fast food places he can eat in?

Ehh...try curiosity.

I was there the other day and it just came to me.

Sorry, to cause trouble.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shabadu wrote:
    Jaysus. Is there any point to this thread? As is, I can't move it at the mo.

Clarify your question, please.

Grr..power to head syndrome.. /OverbearingModCrit

Have to say that since the burgers got packaged individually at processing time (ie cooking) that the overall quality has improved immensely, the shape and volume is far closer to the advertised pictures.

Symmetrical is good and is closer in the current packaging, I like it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What does a symmetrical meal look like? Drink in the middle, two fries on either side and two burgers beside the fries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gordon wrote:
    What does a symmetrical meal look like? Drink in the middle, two fries on either side and two burgers beside the fries?

Well you clearly are a chaotic person Gordon!, its all foods placed in a pattern thats visualy appealing to the consumer silly!!
    Before the "will someone think of the children brigade decend", its not unreasonable to ask that that the sauce or lettuce is spread evenly over the burger or whatever - when you ask for chips with salt and vinegar..you want it spread over all chips on average evenly rather than all vinegar and salt on one single chip i'm sure!!

Similarily, if i ask for a Big Mac Meal or whatever its called these days..I'd like a well prepared burger , fries bulging from the bag just like the photo and an ice cold drink wihout dribbles down the side that drop on to the tray cover (usually a peice of paper advertising some fast food party service or such).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

right I see. Firstly it really annoys me that the photos are never like the real deal surely this is false advertising? And as for symmetricity.. doesn't ever bother me, I love unique beings whether they be individual homo sapiens sapiens or be they whopper meals. If a burger is off kilter then I think I'd enjoy it a tad more as it represents real life as opposed to our perceptions of perfection. Also having food like this ensures that they are unique and individual, some people pay extra for this uniqueness. No two burgers will be the same you see.

However this doesn't apply when small crustaceans or arachnids occupy the same plane of existance as the foodstuffs, sure it's more unique but I don't need the extra protein.

I've had 'symmetrical' burgers before and possibly even fries but I don't think I've ever had a full meal that has looked 'perfect'. But then they are all special to me, as I say...

Longfield wrote:
    Grr..power to head syndrome.. /OverbearingModCrit

The post was reported by a user. If you think I am overbearing feel free to continue this discussion via pm with evidence of my power mad rage. :)
    Have to say that since the burgers got packaged individually at processing time (ie cooking) that the overall quality has improved immensely, the shape and volume is far closer to the advertised pictures.

Symmetrical is good and is closer in the current packaging, I like it.

Out of curiosity, why do you and the op seem to view symmetry as a necessary trait in a fast food meal anyway? I thought most McDonalds type meals were bought for reasons other than aesthetics. I have never recieved a beautifully presented fast food meal. The speed of service, ugly surroundings, and low cost of the food mean you lose any real sort of presentation. Does it seriously affect your perception on how appetising the meal is, even though it is fast food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If you want symmetry in food, you have to do it yourself. When I makes sandwiches for other, I put less effort into making them symmetrical than I would were I making them for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just eat a block of cheese for lunch.

Actually I have seen a guy walking along the road at about 11 at night eating a big block of cheese.

It was wierd....

Just eat a block of cheese for lunch.

Actually I have seen a guy walking along the road at about 11 at night eating a big block of cheese.

It was wierd....
    Was he on Grafton Street perchance? A man on Grafton street gave me and a friend a present of a block of cheese at half four in the morning once O_o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

french-mcdonalds.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Mmm... delicious :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Not symmetrical, though! Brain hurts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Damn now i'm really hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Eurosaver menu, here I come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I don't think i've ever gotten a symmetrical meal from any fast food outlet. It bugs the sh!t outta me too when you get this flat, sat upon burger in McDonalds when it should be visually appealling to the consumer, such as the ones in the pictures. McDonalds badly need to up their quality, and focus on consistancy, and improved visual standard of there meals.

Coca-Cola I reckon are the best people I've seen (and worked for) that adapt a symmetrical style to merchandising and point of sales etc. Look at any fridge in any store across the coutry and you should see consistancy. You'll generally get a fridge with all the coke range alog the top two shelves, followed by waters (better sellers) and then the cans and flavoured drink on the lower shelves. Its visually appealing, and eye catch to the consumer.

Some people may not really pay attention to it, but unknown to people it how they expect to see it, the coke being the main seller (along with the water) are on the top shelve and in greater supply than the other such products like cans and flavoured drinks such as Fanta range. Not only that but they are at eye level, the point that grabs the customers attention the best.

Anyway, back on topic, my point is symmetrical adervertising is a key aspect of Marketing and Merchandising....... Yes, I'm a business student.... sorry!!

Advertisement