Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6680 Message Problem!!

• 26-10-2005 3:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the Meteor network and have a 6680 and when I was in England at the weekend a message came into my inbox from my friend when I went to open it nothing happened it clears out of the message menu, and beside his name in the inbox is a ? instead of an envelope!

I rang him straight away and asked what he was sending me, (he's on Vodafone) he said it was a MMS (video) and I can't delete this message now and it keeps showing up on my phone that I have 1 new message!

Anyone had or knows anything about this?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yeah, I had that problem too. My friend tried to fix it for me but ended up getting the phone to say 'Startup failed, contact retailer' so it went to MPRC to get fixed. It's gone now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

So you're saying I can't get it fixed? :confused:

No, what I'm trying to say don't try fix it yourself, send it into repair if it annoys you. (It really annoyed me)

It annoys the hell outta me!

Sorry read the text in the wrong context!

How much did they charge you to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

It should be free although I went to the Phone Shop on Dawson Street and asked them to upgrade the firmware as I outlined a few bugs and they replaced the firmware I had with the same firmware so be aware and ask them straight is it Vodafone Branded Firmware they are going to Flash it with and what version.

I had to get Wolfman to upgrade the Firmware to the newest release and Sim Free release that had no branding, it is now working a treat.

• Advertisement

Whoa! Slow down there Woody! :confused:

Who? What? Where? When? Huh? :eek: :eek:

What does the vodafone firmware do? Explain this to me, don't know much about firmware and the like!

About the phone! It was bought sim free from vodafone, doesn't have vodafone logos on it but has the vodafone mail and all that on it!

Go *#0000# and that will give you the firmware version

V 3.04.11
    14/04/05
    Rm-36

That is one of the first release's I currently have:

V 4.04.07
    22-08-05
    RM-36

If you need to get it flashed ask for the above as it removes a lot of bugs, if it was bought Sim Free that should be Upgraded on your Phone, just insist that you don't get your phone back with Voda Branding.

The above has made vast improvements

Cheers! I'll try that! What's the name of the shop on Dawson st? Is there any others?

• Advertisement

it is opposite the Mansion House just called the phone shop/store has a Nokia Serivce Centre Sign above the door and beside the Whiskey Shop there on the Stephens Green end.

Just make sure you ask all the questions.

Nokia 6680 Changes/improvements made from MCU SW v3.04.37 to v4.04.07:

Audio
    .Also DRM unprotected files can be set to ringing tones (if that is defined
    in the variant).

Bluetooth
    .Improvements to BT connection handling (e.g. for carkit connection and
    deactivating BT device).

Camera
    . Colour balance of flash improved, less yellow in pictures.

Gallery
    . Media gallery MMC FAT usage improved.
    . Media gallery handling of metadata in case of all kind of files changed.
    . ID3v2 tags are shown when user checks music file details via media
    gallery.
    . Handling of specific large and progressive JPEG images improved.
    . Corrupted file icon now displayed if there is not enough memory to open

Messaging
    . Interoperability improved to handle specific MMS's received from other
    manufacturers' phones.
    . Improved Chinese input usage when editing settings.
    . Functionality improved with push email client(s), which are using also
    calendar updates. Now changes to PC calendar are observed and transferred to
    phone calendar.
    . MMS Slideshow is correctly played when .3gp file with audio only is
    inserted.

Browser
    . Improved performance for loading big pages.
    . Handling selection boxes in WAP browser improved.
    . Optimised functionality if the request contains an empty If-Modified-Since
    header.
    . Improvements to show some links & texts correctly in certain web pages.
    . Browser multiple PDP contexts handling improved.
    . Displaying Chinese text with punctuation marks improved.
    . Several other browser improvements.

Phonebook
    . Improved performance for displaying the image, when focus is in a contact,
    which has a thumbnail image.

Streaming
    . When streaming is paused, correct method to server is sent and streaming
    resumes from right place.
    . Handling of RAM-files with multiple streaming links improved.
    . Playback of 3gp amr wb audio improved.

Telephone
    . Automatic redial improved.
    . Improvements regarding different telecommunication switchboards.
    . Error note now displayed if call setup is unsuccessful in specific
    signalling stage.

Video Sharing
    . Improvements to Video Sharing application.

Video Telephony
    . Reserved amount of RAM increased for video call to improve VT Call
    releasing & ending.

Misc
    .Always on PDP context is not tried to be activated if Dial-up connection is
    active.
    .FTP upload stability with USB cable improved.
    .MMC durability improvement, Video recorder writes data to MMC in bigger
    blocks, causing less unnecessary FAT accesses.
    .Improved functionality with Chinese characters in MMC names.
    .Functionality improved, when changing from SIM card to another.
    . Improved functionality with certain SIM cards and SIM phonebook.
    . IMEISV sent to network changed to 18.
    . Automatic access point settings updated for some operators.
    .When a *#0000# is entered from the keypad, phone displays the software
    version and product ID in a new way.
    .7-bit/Unicode character counter support for SMS.
    .Upper case letters enabled in Phonebook edit label.
    .FDN - GPRS connections now allowed with *99# when

Cool, some of them things I had noticed! Some I hadn't :rolleyes:

So you say this is free? That just doesn't sound right!

Nokia's are covered for 24 Months now and all services such as the above are covered by the Warranty, tis free unless you damaged it physically yourself

Excellent! :)

Another question!

How long does it take? Is it a while you wait job or would it take a couple of hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

woody wrote:
    Nokia's are covered for 24 Months now and all services such as the above are covered by the Warranty, tis free unless you damaged it physically yourself
    Is that true woody, 24 months warranty?

Mr Moon wrote:
    Another question!

How long does it take? Is it a while you wait job or would it take a couple of hours?

3 Hours turn around dude, yep all Nokia's as far as I know have a 24 Month Warranty or maybe just the 3G and Newer Symbian ones, you get a leaflet in the package informing you off this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

woody wrote:
    3 Hours turn around dude, yep all Nokia's as far as I know have a 24 Month Warranty or maybe just the 3G and Newer Symbian ones, you get a leaflet in the package informing you off this
    Yep.. All Nokias 24 month warranty from date of purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That's now. When the 6600 was released, it was 12 months. The warranty of 24 months only applies to Nokias (and Sony Ericssons) from around August/Sept 2005

• Advertisement

My brother's 6630 from February 2005 has 24 months on it. Seems he's gonna need it, the thing only lasts 16 hours (and its not a battery fault).

I was sure it was only certain Nokias that have the 24 month warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

woody wrote:
    It should be free although I went to the Phone Shop on Dawson Street and asked them to upgrade the firmware as I outlined a few bugs and they replaced the firmware I had with the same firmware so be aware and ask them straight is it Vodafone Branded Firmware they are going to Flash it with and what version.

I had to get Wolfman to upgrade the Firmware to the newest release and Sim Free release that had no branding, it is now working a treat.
    that shop is terrible. there was a thread about it a while ago started by yours truly. the consensus was that the woman is belligerent and the man is retarded. best to avoid the shop if at all possible. they did the same thing to me. i asked them specifically for generic firmware. i told them that the problem was caused by having the branded firmware and they still put it back on

Mr Moon wrote:
    Cheers! I'll try that! What's the name of the shop on Dawson st? Is there any others?
    see above

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Yes, just as the previous entry says, i have found problems with the staff in that shop too, fonemenders on south anne street, ( just around the corner from dawson street) they will fix the phone problems etc with an ever qiucker turn around time if you ask them nicely :)

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Is it possible to fix this problem yourself, the same thing is happening to my 6680, it was 2 mms pictures, and I am in the US till next christmas!! The new message symbol wont go away and I cant open or delete the 2 mms in my inbox! Very annoying! Again all that shows is a ?. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

murfie wrote:
    Is it possible to fix this problem yourself, the same thing is happening to my 6680, it was 2 mms pictures, and I am in the US till next christmas!! The new message symbol wont go away and I cant open or delete the 2 mms in my inbox! Very annoying! Again all that shows is a ?. Thanks
    That problem will happen to all 6680's that receive mms whilst roaming, and it can only be fixed by getting the phone flashed unfortunately!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

The Nokia site has an application for installing the software, its says its a firmware update. Link would this fix my problem. I am going to do it later anyway as i am sure it cant hurt to update to the newest software.

Also I have a link to a do it yourself Flash, link,which reverts the phone to factory setting not, service operator. I am not sure going down this direction but if the nokia software update fails I just might

failsafe wrote:
    That problem will happen to all 6680's that receive mms whilst roaming, and it can only be fixed by getting the phone flashed unfortunately!!
    Does a hard format not even work?

I worked around this problem by setting my phone to receive MMS while roaming rather than deferring it. That way it can't happen.
    murfie wrote:
    The Nokia site has an application for installing the software, its says its a firmware update. Link would this fix my problem. I am going to do it later anyway as i am sure it cant hurt to update to the newest software.
    This will fix your problem. Don't use the Phoenix method, I killed my 6680 by doing that and had to send it off to a friend to be reflashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

A hard reset will get rid of those ? messages.
    If you don't want to lose Contacts etc you'll need to back up the phone (apart from the messages, do not back them up).
    For hard reset dial *#7370#

To stop it happening go to Multimedia Message options and set "reception while roaming" to automatic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement