Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Beginner

Options
  • 26-10-2005 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

My name is Olly and I'm interested in breaking into the shooting "scene" in Ireland.

I know this question has been asked by different people in various guises but I'd like to hear what you guys could recommend for me in my particular circumstances, and I'd imagine any answers you could give would be useful to others.

I've only ever gone clay pigeon shooting once (enjoyed it immensely) and I've never tried target shooting. I'm 27 years of age.

I've always fancied trying my hand at target shooting (air rifle doesn't really appeal to me though) either with rifles or pistols (if possible). I don't think this is a strange thing to want to do in a controlled and appropriate environment. I'm not interested in hunting unless I'd be eating (attempting to eat!! ;p ) what I shot. That's my personal view and I can understand others hunting in a controlled animal population situation but it's not something I think I'd be into.

I'm prepared to buy a rifle and gear and pay memberships and joining fees (I'd hope to be buying second hand for a reasonable price!!) but I'd like to have tried target shooting etc. before making a significant financial outlay if possible.

I live in a rented apartment in Dublin city centre. I would absolutely be prepared to buy a safe and put it in the apartment and the place is alarmed. I don't own a car. I'm hoping to purchase a house and car over the next 1-2 years. I'm a Trinity graduate (I know they have a club but is it just air rifle??) but I'm not a member of the gym there or anything.

I guess a summary of my questions based on the above is as follows;

1. What would you suggest would be the best way for me to start? Go to a club? If so which one? Who should I speak to about that club (if you have such info it would be great if you could post it or pm me). I'd love if there was somewhere I could go and pay money and shoot 3 or 4 different types of weapons to make my mind up and get a feel for what I'd enjoy most. Does such a place exist in any sort of capacity in Ireland? I have vague plans for a trip to the states next year but I'd love to get started soon in Ireland.

2. Will I be able to get a licence to own a firearm in my circumstances from your experience?

3. Should I go along to an open competition to see what the setup for those events is like before having decided what area I want to "focus" on. I'm competitive in the things I do so competitions in the future would appeal to me, once I learn what I'm doing that is!!

4. Any other tips??

I understand that people may not be able to help with all (or any) of these questions but any comments you'd have on any aspect would be very welcome - even if that comment is feck off and come back when you own a place and are prepared to pay €1000 for all the gear and memberships, without ever finding out if shooting is for you, because that's the way it is in Ireland!

Thanks

Olly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Meclor

Hey Olle

I'm in a similar boat myself, 27 year and looking to get into shooting. if you look at this thread

Newbie - Help Getting Started
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311859

It pretty much all the questions I asked here in the last couple of weeks.
    I'm at the stage where i have been down the the rifle club (in Cork)for a chat, and did a saftey course with them last week.

I just getting the cash together now for the membership, gun safe and an upgrade to my alarm, then hopefully go looking for a gun. then onto the licence application.

have a read of that thread, there is some good info in there.

I don't know what the story is in dublin as far as clubs go though. Someone else here maybe able to help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Olle
    Have a look at www.eastcoastshootingclub.com for info on shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ollyk1 wrote:
    I live in a rented apartment in Dublin city centre. I would absolutely be prepared to buy a safe and put it in the apartment and the place is alarmed. I don't own a car. I'm hoping to purchase a house and car over the next 1-2 years. I'm a Trinity graduate (I know they have a club but is it just air rifle??) but I'm not a member of the gym there or anything.
    The DURC (Trinity's rifle club) shoots both air rifle and smallbore rifle (.22 calibre). You'd have to join DUCAC as an alumni and then the club; you're looking at €4 for the club, but a lot more for DUCAC - €200 last I checked (which was a while ago). Though you do get gym membership for that as well.
    DURC has all of the gear you'll need - rifles, ammo, jackets/slings/gloves, etc, etc, and will train you from scratch.
    1. What would you suggest would be the best way for me to start? Go to a club?
    Definitely.
    Going to a club and learning from others is the best avenue we have for entering the target shooting community safely.
    If so which one?
    Well, DURC would be the closest to you. There are other .22 ranges around in Wicklow and other areas outside Dublin, but within Dublin, there's just DURC and UCDRC.
    Who should I speak to about that club (if you have such info it would be great if you could post it or pm me).
    PM sent...
    I'd love if there was somewhere I could go and pay money and shoot 3 or 4 different types of weapons to make my mind up and get a feel for what I'd enjoy most. Does such a place exist in any sort of capacity in Ireland? I have vague plans for a trip to the states next year but I'd love to get started soon in Ireland.
    The only place I can think of like that for rifle / pistol shooting would be maybe the East Antrim club up North. Rathdrum's new range, when it opens, would be a good bet as well, but it may well be a year or three before they're fully up and running on it.
    2. Will I be able to get a licence to own a firearm in my circumstances from your experience?
    If you fit the safe, quite probably. However, you wouldn't need a firearm for ages with DURC. I'd say join them, try it, see how it goes, then make decisions on spending a large amount of cash :D
    3. Should I go along to an open competition to see what the setup for those events is like before having decided what area I want to "focus" on. I'm competitive in the things I do so competitions in the future would appeal to me, once I learn what I'm doing that is!!
    Join a club, say you'd like to see a competition - I know in DURC and WTSC, you even hint at that, and you'll be asked along to any that are going. There was to be a match in UCD this weekend, which would have shown you air rifle (I know you said you're not interested in it, but have you ever seen it shot?), but it's unfortunately been postponed for a fortnight.
    4. Any other tips??
    Try everything. Ask lots of questions, listen to the answers. There's a huge range out there of shooting disciplines and events, and you should try any that take your fancy. Joining a club, or even just visiting one for a look-see, is a good idea to get a feel for that discipline. And most clubs are very accomodating to new members.
    even if that comment is feck off and come back when you own a place and are prepared to pay €1000 for all the gear and memberships, without ever finding out if shooting is for you, because that's the way it is in Ireland!
    And if you hear that from anyone, ignore them, turn on your heel and find another club. It's dead wrong, it's the worst attitude a club can have, and any club with that attitude is probably not going to be a place you want to be anyway.
    Now, don't get me wrong - you want your own gear, it's going to cost a fair bit of money (though it lasts almost a lifetime for most of it, and several lifetimes for some parts, like the rifle - the rifle I learnt on was already a few years older than I was when I started and it's still shooting fine). But a beginner being asked to fork over a grand before ever starting, that's just unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Also, you should get a fair bit of useful information on the boards.ie wiki page on shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Thanks everyone for all the replies and the very useful info.

I'll be following up on the pm Sparks as that looks like a great option for me to dip my toes in the water and get started (plus I could always go to the gym I guess :D ). I'm glad to hear about the rifle shooting option and yes I have no basis for a prejudice against air rifle !:)

Had a brief look at your blog too - keep up the good work!

I couldn't see the address of the range for the east coast club 2112 but I'll email the info address and see what they say.

Thanks Macleor for the fellow beginner tips I had read some of the thread and I just wanted to get the same but with a Dublin slant I guess!

• Advertisement
Advertisement