Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being short

• 26-10-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I just wanted to know anyone elses opinion. Im a male and im smaller than average around 5'7. i am 22 near 23 growth finished id say tbh.
    Being small depresses me. I hate myself pretty much and its ruining my confidence.
    I get insults about it to the point where I think about just not wanting to be part of lifes rat race. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

wear heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Ok I'm a guy about 5'8" 23yrs old. While i was the shortest in my class in secondary school (many moons ago). I never had a problem with it. There are shorter people out their. I honestly thing that you should not worry about it. Maybe these people only give you stick because they know that you are hung up about it. I honestly don't know how you feel because while there have been times where i wished for that extra bit of height no one ever insulted me about it. I think the reason was that it wasn't important to me or them. Once again it is only as important as you let it be. If people see what type of person you are then I don't think that they will give your height a second thought. Yes I know chicks dig tall men but there are plenty of fine young ladies shorter than you and generally the more petit girls are perfectedly proportioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Look at Bono,he's small and it hasnt done him any harm!
    Seriously as Ratboy said you can get special lifts for shoes to gain a few inches.Dont know correct name for them?
    I have a couple of smaller mates and the girls love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Im 5'8 never got anything said to me about my height though im not the smallest in my year(In 6th year at mo), I dont mind being my height im quite happy about it only thing I wouldn’t like would be if my g/f was taller than me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Most sources say Tom Cruise's height is 5'7"...

it didn't seem to stop Tom Cruise...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You're not even all that short! Don't worry about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't worry about it. Don't let it depress you. And certainly don't go trying to find 'heels for men' - that's the same as baldies with a combover.

5ft 7" is an excellent height for a man. I heartily endorse that height.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

/me pictures eamo slouched back in front of his pc looking incredibly pleased with himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

mr.sparkle wrote:
    smaller than average around 5'7.

You think that's bad!!!!?
    Ok, I'm female but I'm slightly SMALLER than smaller than average at 5' absolutely NOTHING!!!!:eek:
    I get short ar$e etc, etc, etc (in a friendly jokey way) but I couldn't care less!!:cool:

Yes, it's annoying when you're in the pub with your V tall mates & you're standing up & you're trying to hear what they're saying way up there, but who cares!

How boring would it be if we all looked the same, were the same height, weight etc.

& I'm not unique, there are a lot of short but perfectly formed girls out there who are EXTREMELY glad there are 'smaller than average' guys out there so we don't look so ridiculous!:D

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you, stop fretting about nothing & enjoy being you!
    (so long as you're tall enough so your feet reach the ground is what I say!)

PS Mr. Sparkle:- Me thinks Pighead's going to give you a slating if he sees this after what you said bout his thread in After Hours!!! Oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I doesn't make a difference when you're in bed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Am am a little shorter than average and have been all my life. It really did bother me for many years and to a certain extent still does. It didnt bother me that guys where taller than but when i met a cool chick and found she was taller than me i felt a bit stupid :o . In Ireland i have not had such a problem with that, you irish girls are short :D.
    Fact is that irish people are short, and have been for many years, look at the tiny doors on the old houses. Dont let it get you down, the people slagging you off are probably insecure about there own body and get a kick out of mocking others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What's you posture like. If it's bad you can make an big difference to how tall you look if improve it so that you walk confidently and stand up straight.

Never wear very flat shoes. Pick a style of footwear which gives you an extra inch or so of height.

If you are fat or skinny, do something about it. Skinny, short men can look about 14 years old and women can regard them as immature unmasculine weaklings. OTOH, if you're short and fat that's also unattractive. You want to aim for an average or slightly muscular or athletic build.

But I know how you feel, I'm just under 5 foot 10 and have often gotten comments about being short. I find that many women say that height doesn't matter but funnily enought the same women seem to always date guys 6 foot 2 plus.....also really short women can often be the ones who are most into th really tall men.

I don't believe any women who says that she'd rather date a short guy than a tall one, all other things being equal. It is stupid when people say "well Tom Cruise is attractive and he's short" as if that's proof that short men are attractive. Well duh - he's a famous actor who's worth millions, has good teeth, an attractive face and lots of other attributes, is it any wonder that he's deemed attractive in spite of his shortness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

being tall myself (6'2"), i'd honestly say I don't really think about a person's height in the slightest, and it surprises me when people think they are too small.

You are what you are, nothing's going to change that. Don't let it give you some sort of inferiority complex, because, honestly, people do not think that way, even if you think they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Short is ok, as long as you're not fat too

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

You have some really good advice there especially

>>How boring would it be if we all looked the same<<

Yeah there are shorter guys out there than you!
    I'm a woman about 5 9" I went out with a guy for a while who was quite short 5 4", was crazy about him and really upset when it ended . . . .

Life's too short (excuse the pun). Look after yourself in other ways, as has been said. If you make sure your posture's good, that you're working out, and be happy with yourself, you'll be doing a lot better than loads of people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

mr.sparkle wrote:
    I just wanted to know anyone elses opinion. Im a male and im smaller than average around 5'7. i am 22 near 23 growth finished id say tbh.
    Being small depresses me. I hate myself pretty much and its ruining my confidence.
    I get insults about it to the point where I think about just not wanting to be part of lifes rat race. Any advice?

5'7" isn't short! ok, you're not a giant either but it's about average or just below average. I'm that height and I've never had any issues with it.

The fact that you do points to a lack of confidence that only you can do something about. If you're confident and believe in yourself then you're height won't matter. My height has never held me back from anything I've wanted to do and I've had girlfriends that were taller than me (around 6') and girlfriends that were smaller than me, it's honestly not that big an issue. You need to start believing that yourself, and once you do, you'll realise that other peoples opinions don't really matter that much.

The people that do matter in your life will love you for who you are, not your height or what you look like or what you do for living or any other yardstick that society tries to define people by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Im a male and im smaller than average around 5'7.

I'm going out on a limb and going to assume you have two working arms, two working legs and all the other bits in the right place. If so, I suspect most of your worries are inside your head. You're not all that short, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Ah height is not that important... it just depends on individuals.. some people like tall guys, some like shorter guys, some like blondes etc etc its all just about taste. i wldnt worry too much about it tbh, you will find there will be people who love that attribute about you... life is strange like that. I know its the other way round (girl being short) but just to highlight the height not being so nb point.. my father is 6'4" and my mom 5'0"" - bit of a difference... they dont mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm 5'7" too and being honest in my teen years it really used to bother me. Now i'm in my 30's and really truely dont give a crap anymore, if ppl have an issue with my height its their problem.

Heres a trick when dealing with ppl obviously talking down to you..look straight ahead and talk to their chest..this ALWAYS makes tall ppl self concious if done right, they think their shirt is soiled or they are standing too close or whatever their personal paranoia is..try it (but only on ppl that are intimidating you..its pretty rude to do this imo).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mr.sparkle

Thank you all for the advice.

I agree with you all. Most people dont have an issue with it.
    Most days I dont worry but recently I dont feel confident about it. I am feeling very inferior and it really gets me down. I dont tell ppl this in real life, Im too embarrassed but I hope you know what I mean.

As research has suggested, me being short is only a sign of bad genes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

mr.sparkle wrote:
    Thank you all for the advice.

I agree with you all. Most people dont have an issue with it.
    Most days I dont worry but recently I dont feel confident about it. I am feeling very inferior and it really gets me down. I dont tell ppl this in real life, Im too embarrassed but I hope you know what I mean.

TBH SNAP THE FOOK OUT OF IT! You just insulted every person of the same height as yourself..I most certainlty don't consider myself as having "sign of bad genes" ..get a grip!!

Your problems are more self esteem related, get a handle on your personality and stop using your height as an excuse for all!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    TBH SNAP THE FOOK OUT OF IT! You just insulted every person of the same height as yourself..I most certainlty don't consider myself as having "sign of bad genes" ..get a grip!!

Your problems are more self esteem related, get a handle on your personality and stop using your height as an excuse for all!

Yeah I know you are probably right. I really dont know why people are short though?

Its just I get upset by reading a lot of trash when I am feeling "ok" about myself. Last thing I need is to get rejected for a taller lad. Makes me feel as though we are all typed into a catagory in life.
    I used to think about qualities to people now after the experience I have received from life and how people treat each other I just think we are all part of a catagory fighting to keep aflout.

This stuff I came across http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1038531.stm just makes me upset thinking that all my optimism and work will never do as good for me as some people who are born with "better" genes will do without as much work as I will put in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/600481.stm

Why is life all about cr*ppy studies that put people down literally and make them conscious of it. After reading that study I feel like Im not masculine and now I feel tired.

People shouldnt put money into studies like this, and they should raise awareness of vaccines etc. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

As people have said before 5'7" isn't that small at all. In Ireland, I think guys tend to be smaller than 6 foot.

I'm 5'10" and I don't think I could go out with a guy smaller than me. I'd feel like a man. But that's just me. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so tall. But if I saw a guy smaller than me...there's a good few around, I'd never think anything less of them or pass a remark. And sure theres lots and lots of petite girls in Ireland!!

To help yourself look taller go for pinstripe trousers as they lengthen the leg and don't wear coats that pass your hips as they'll make your legs look shorter. It's all about how you hold yourself as well, so practise on your posture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Your life isn't ruled by your genetic code. If you like games, you should play Metal Gear Solid.
    Even if being short puts you at a disadvantage, everyone has their hurdles/handicaps when it comes to the opposite sex (for example, I've got my personality;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

mr.sparkle wrote:
    Last thing I need is to get rejected for a taller lad.

Someone who rejects you simply because of your height is not really worth it in the first place. Don't let yourself believe that the only reason people will reject you is because of your height. Maybe they simply didn't like you. Tall people get rejected too.
    just makes me upset thinking that all my optimism and work will never do as good for me as some people who are born with "better" genes will do without as much work as I will put in.

Everyone has their own cross to bear. Life isn't necessarily any easier just because you have good genes (although sometimes it helps!). Even if you have to work a little harder than others, that's just what you have to do. Life isn't fair.
    Why is life all about cr*ppy studies that put people down literally and make them conscious of it. After reading that study I feel like Im not masculine and now I feel tired.

People shouldnt put money into studies like this, and they should raise awareness of vaccines etc. :mad:

People shouldn't put money into studies like this cause they might make you feel bad???

Get over it. There are a lot of studies done out there. If you don't like the content, then the simplest thing to do is not to read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Beth*

Tell everyone your a dwarf and then everyone will think you are tall for a dwarf

Beth* wrote:
    Tell everyone your a dwarf and then everyone will think you are tall for a dwarf

LOL..I like a bit of creative thinking.:D

But seriously, I read those studies because I want to know the reality. And thats called a reality check. Everyone gets it and you need it!:)

Il just accept my disadvantage and live with it. Just like living with a disablity, you have to make most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Seriously with this amount of self-derogatory remarks I'm actually beginning to think that you are a troll. There is no need to be so hard on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mr.sparkle wrote:
    I'm 6foot 6. I'm just gone 24, and (hopefully) stopped growing. Unless I duck, my head usually hits off the top door frame, on a normal door (or them bus doors). Nevermind the doors in the pubs. Those door frame's are _WAY_ to low. IMHO, the grass is greener on the other side. Wouldn't mind being 5 inches shorter, cos then I wouldn't hit off some many doors, but its fun being this tall sometimes.

Oh, and most of the women go for blokes around their height(ie, your size). Just wallk tall, and your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

mr.sparkle wrote:

First, ignore the insults.
    One fact: there are always people shorter than you are! View these as the useful resource they are for bolstering your ego. Whenever you spot one of the unfortunate creatures allow yourself to feel thankful for those extra few ". Perhaps you could slag them to feel superior. Look down on the crown of their heads and pretend you have seen a maggot or somesuch scurrying around, or a bit of fluff. Yes, I think that could work out for you, judging by some of your other posts.
    mr.sparkle wrote:
    :D
    I'm a 5'4"M:(. You have shattered my body-image into itty-bitty (sob) pieces. I'm off to euthanise myself to ensure I don't pass my hopelessly defective genes onto poor innocent victims in the next generation.
    mr.sparkle wrote:
    Il just accept my disadvantage and live with it. Just like living with a disablity, you have to make most of it.

:rolleyes:That's the spirit! <sound of violins>

sorry:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

You're about average hieght! I'm six foot, which isn't that tall (Is it? I haven't stopped growing, and that's when I'm not wearing shoes...) and it SUCKS. Because everyone else except for the sixth years (and some of them) are about your height. BECAUSE IT'S NORMAL. Really.

Flashling, you are normal height! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know what you are complainingabout - 5' 7" is a great height for a penis!:D

mr.sparkle wrote:

Ok, I'm starting to get annoyed now!!
    As I said in my 1st post, your not overly short etc, etc. There are a lot of people a lot shorter than you, etc, etc, etc. That's what everyone else is saying too.
    But, you're comparing what you have to having a disability!!!!:eek:
    I'd love for you to HAVE a disability for just one day so you can see how lucky you are!!!!

I mean, you might think your legs are a bit short, but they work, don't they??? You're so much better off than so many of the worlds population already. You think you're shart now, imagine sitting in a wheelchair, how short would you be then??
    Your arms / hands, they work fine, another thing to be greatful.
    No facial disfigurements that would actually give you reason to lack in self confidence.
    I imagine you have good sight, (or at least you CAN see), hearing, speech, no life threatening, life debilitating diseases, no other physical or mental handicaps, your family & friends are in general good health.

God / Mother Nature or whatever has been V kind to you. As for bad genes, your genes could have been seriously f*cked up in so many serious ways that being a bit short would've been the least of your worries.

Sorry to sound harsh, but cop yourself on & be thankful for the perfectly healthy body you've been givien, so many people haven't been that lucky!
    & in fact, I'm sure quite a number of them are reading this thread right now feeling hurt & angry that someone so unthankful could be given such a perfect body that they would practically die for!!!

I think you need to visit some childrens hospitals or something like that to get a reality check!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

mr.sparkle wrote:
    I just wanted to know anyone elses opinion. Im a male and im smaller than average around 5'7.
    5'7 is on the short end of average, TBH. There are guys out there who are 5'4 or less - feel sorry for them. You on the other hand have nothing to worry about.

If girls don’t go for you, it’s more likely because you’re too self-absorbed and depressing than because you’re short. Get over it.
    BoozyBabe wrote:
    You think that's bad!!!!?
    Ok, I'm female but I'm slightly SMALLER than smaller than average at 5' absolutely NOTHING!!!!:eek:
    I’ve always found small women are lots of fun to toss around in the bedroom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Get a grip on yourself. Like the others said. You are an otherwise healthy individual. Try sitting in a wheelchair all day every day. Having someone else to change your toilet bags, wash and feed you. See your doctor or counsellor for some life boosting advice. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's just your personality. If you woke up tommorow 6foot tall you'd still just find something else about yourself to be hung up about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I'm 5'6" and I'm bleedin' deadly. You wouldn't believe how cool I am. Man I'm classic...

And pretty is not the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Oh good feck, I am 5'8/9" not really to sure as I never bother to mesure my-self. To be saying being short means you have defective genes is a joke. Your 5'7".. get over it.

As for women going for a guy who is taller than you. No they are going for the person they see as being more enjoyable and not depressing at best or obsessed with his hight.

Hell I went to school with the_syco and I would say he got more greaf about his hight than I did. Infact I never got a word said about mine and I am always one of the smaller people.

• Advertisement

I’ve always found small women are lots of fun to toss around in the bedroom...

I'm assuming by that you don't mean knock around the bedroom!!!!:eek:

If not, then you can toss me around any time!!:p :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I'm assuming by that you don't mean knock around the bedroom!!!!:eek:
    Gosh no. Just a 'lil rough and tumble.
    If not, then you can toss me around any time!!:p :D
    Hmmm...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

if you haven't taken it to PM already TC
    do so....

What optimistic replies. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

mr.sparkle wrote:

My boyfriend is 5'8, and that is short. But he is confident with it and I love him for what he is. Height is only a problem to those who are possessed about people's appearance. Napoleon was 5'1 and Einstein something around that. Imagine how short people were in the middleages!! The men were around 4'9 and lower!!!!!!!!! You don't need to worry. When I raise my head to kiss my boyfriend, I don't need to stand on my toes. That's a really good thing.

I have difficulties believing that your height is your only problem. Is there anything else you're discontent about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As for women going for a guy who is taller than you. No they are going for the person they see as being more enjoyable and not depressing at best or obsessed with his hight.
    If he is very insecure and paranoid about his height then yes that would be a problem and a turnoff if a woman found out. OTOH the actual physical appearance (i.e his height) does come into it too and anyone who denies it is naive and mistaken. A bit like people who believe women aren't interested in how a guy looks, just his personality :rolleyes:

If given a choice between a taller man and a shorter man who is identical in every way apart ftom height, the majority of women will go for the taller man. There are plenty of women out there who would consider a 5'7" man too short to date. Other women would date him but only because they haven't managed to attract a suitable tall man, in other words they "settle" for the shorter guy. Also, just because a women is short herself doesn't mean that she will have any interest in short men or that tall men won't be interested in her.

Women are often not even conscious of this - they don't consciously set out to find a tall man, but the guys they find themselves most attracted to tend to be tall....

But comparing being 5'7" to having a serious disability is a bit much alright. A 5'7" able bodied man will generally have a much higher mate value than a disabled man. Being a short man is a bit like being an fat woman - your mate value is reduced but there is hope for you. However at least with obesity there is something you can do about it whereas you're pretty much stuck with your height obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Accept yourself, I'm sure your friends do.
    I would love to be 6'4'' but I'm not. If I was 4'6" I'd be worried.
    Anything in between is normal.

Ok, some women like taller men forget them and go for the ones that don't.
    There's plenty of them. Good quality ones too. Decent girls.
    Don't wreck your head over it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could always go on holiday to Sardinia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hagar wrote:
    Ok, some women like taller men forget them and go for the ones that don't.
    There's plenty of them.

In Japan...mebee??:D Though probably not there either as everything is relative. Anyway, the OP does not qualify as really hopelessly short-arsed at 5' 7".

What about a trip to the afterlife, a lot less feeling worthless there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement