Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being short

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

Jaysus get over yourself! I'm a girl, 5"3, and I prefer to go out with guys I can reach, but when they come across as obsessed abut their height, or any other aspect of themselves, you cant help but notice it and see it as a bad thing. I know alot of guys smaller then you that do alright for themselves, and maybe you can't reach very high shelves, but in no way would I view it as a disability, so maybe you just need to get some confidence or some stilts or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

Jaysus get over yourself! I'm a girl, 5"3, and personally I prefer guys that I can reach, but when they're obsessed by something stupid about themselves like height and keep going on about it then you cant help but see it badly. I actually know a few guys who are smaller then you, and they do alright for themselves, but when you start to view it as a disability I think you need to get some serious cop on or some stilts or a sex change or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

mr.sparkle wrote:
    What about a trip to the afterlife, a lot less feeling worthless there!

No, really? Are you serious? I mean you've said before that you want to kill yourself because of your height, but are you actually serious? Jaysus, that's pathetic. Look at the responses you've gotten here, not one person has said "you're right, it is the end of the world, suicide is the only way! In fact, take all the other short people with you. You'd be doing them a favour." The problem here isn't your height, the problem is that you're melodramatic and possibly depressed if it gets you that down. What are you doing with a name like Mr Sparkle?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mr.sparkle

All I mean is that being short makes you inferior.
    Why settle to live life with more struggle if you are inferior?
    I mean being discriminated against for being a little lonely cr*ppy midget who no person cares about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

So by your logic being tall makes you superior? I see...and would you mind giving examples about where you're discriminated against for being short? Girls going out with taller guys doesn't count by the way, you can't prove that it wasn't because of something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tig_the_pirate

There is no problem with being short, tall or inbetween, I'm a girl that is 5' nothing, my mother is around 5'5 and my father around 5'7. My brothers are 6' 2 and 6'.

There is something annoying about small people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mr.sparkle wrote:
    I mean being discriminated against for being a little lonely cr*ppy midget who no person cares about?
    I'm your height. I am not a midget.

I suspect you are misapportioning the cause of your angst.

Victor wrote:
    I'm your height. I am not a midget.

I suspect you are misapportioning the cause of your angst.

Your profile etc and your signatures, do not reflect how important you are. Quantity surveyor etc.

A six foot quantity surveyor is better than a 5'7 one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

All I mean is that being short makes you inferior.
    Why settle to live life with more struggle if you are inferior?

You know, it's times like this that makes me wish for a virtual slapping button to be a feature on vBulletin. Either you are a very misguided person, or a troll. The jury is still out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

mr.sparkle wrote:
    Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll. Troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

being small hasn't stopped this man. wish i had a wife like that.

http://www.filecabi.net/v/file/worlds-smallest-man/wmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm 6ft7. I wouldnt change it for the world but I'm really self conscious at times. I'm too big for just about everything, seats on public transport, planes (I stand up whenever possible because my knees ache), clothes are a real pain in the ass - its impossible to find a natural fit. I regularly smash my head off door frames, I nearly lose any eye any time its raining because of stupid people and their umbrellas.
    People on the street will stop and make what they think are innocent comments about my height, sometimes to my face, but usually behind my back. I'm tall not deaf. People must think that I'm the most retarded guy in Ireland because the first thing they say to me is that I'm really tall.

I'm no more lucky with women as any other bloke. Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

mr.sparkle wrote:
    Your profile etc and your signatures, do not reflect how important you are. Quantity surveyor etc.

Now you are being silly and are looking for a banning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

dont know if this is the same with all girls but my sis reckons shoes with massive soles just make you looks worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I see no such correlation between height and betterness.

I am a full inch shorter than you; does this make you more important than me? Better than I am? I most certainly assure you that I can make up that extra inch in confidence alone.

Throw in a little zest for life, the fact that I've got no (major) obsessions and you'll see the shorter guy winning out over you. I resent the ever more overbearing implication that people who are shorter than you are even more worthless. I'd be liable to say you're trolling but you're so downright glum you couldn't even be enjoying it.

Being short has its advantages anyway; why else would tribes of pygmies flourish? In some places its better to be tall; you radiate heat and can see further. In dense jungle environments short people can travel faster through undergrowth etc. (very basic example but you see where I'm coming from).

Personally I find Mr. Sparkle's constant short bashing offensive. Sort yourself out. This isn't a problem with your height, it's a problem with you.

mr.sparkle wrote:
    Well you'd better introduce me to one of them then, 'cos in 15 years, I'm not sure if I've met a six foot quantity surveyor better than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

well i'm a 5'8 bloke and i couldnt give a ****. i've been shot down by girls plenty (and i mean plenty) of times but never due to my hight (i think). if a chick is not interested in you because of your height - thats her preference. i for example woundnt go for a girl who was morbidly obese.

i think the main thing is not to succumb to SMS (small man syndrome) or to start over compensating in other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Go to China! You'll feel like a giant. 'Dong,where is my automobile?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

Sweet wrote:

i live in china,im 6ft+ and no,im not a giant here :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

I went out with a guy a few months ago, he was about my height (5 6), so i couldnt wear heals. I have to say i wodda prewfared if he was taller, i likt feeling protected by a man, someone who can hug me and engorge my whole body

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

engorge my whole body
    :eek:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/engorge
    en·gorge (ĕn-gôrj') pronunciation

v., -gorged, -gorg·ing, -gorg·es.

v.tr.

1. To devour greedily.
    2. To gorge; glut.
    3. To fill to excess, as with blood or other fluid.

v.intr.

To feed ravenously.

[French engorger, from Old French engorgier : en-, in; see en–1 + gorge, throat; see gorge.]
    en·gorge'ment

Sweet wrote:
    You might find that that is a grossly outdated stereotype. Eastern asian people are growing by about 2 inches / 50mm per generation - today's 20 year olds are maybe 8 inches / 200mm taller than the 20 year old of 100 years ago.
    someone who can hug me and engorge my whole body
    That might be the wrong adjective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote:
    Eastern asian people are growing by about 2 inches / 50mm per generation - today's 20 year olds are maybe 8 inches / 200mm taller than the 20 year old of 100 years ago.
    So Napolean was right !

The lack of tallness in the past was due to diet rather than genetics so they won't be growing another 2mm every year.

Sardinians don't seem to be getting taller and RyanAir go there.

Or you could do what the americans do and inject yourself with pitutary gland hormone taken from cadavers.

Or you could just loose the chip on your shoulder.

Randy Newman had a song about short people. It was about small minded people, not those of certain height. But some people seem to want to be offended / use a percieved difference as a crutch instead of getting on with life.

If people can't accept you for who you are then that's their problem not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm 5'7" myself and have known plenty of guys who are the same height and smaller. It used to bother me when I was a teenager, but then again, everything bothers you when you're a teenager. It doesn't bother me anymore.
    I get insults about it to the point where I think about just not wanting to be part of lifes rat race. Any advice?

Who do you get insults from? Whoever insults a person for being 5'7" must be very insecure indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

at what age aprox do we stop growing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

As someone said earlier in the thread, stop making excuses! You obviously have some self-esteem problems, but they don't stem from your height, you're just using that as an excuse!

Really, nobody gives a sh*t about height, and 5ft 7 is NOT terribly short. I've seen people getting slagged for being fat, ugly, weak, etc., etc., but unless you're this size, nobody thinks twice about it! Whoever is slagging you over it is either (a) messing, or (b) a moron; either way, don't give it a second thought, it's really unimportant!

I'll just leave you with this ... Arnold Schwarzeneger, 6ft 2, won Mr Universe and Mr Olympia a load of times(click)... Franco Columbo, 5ft 5, did the same(click).

I really think you're making a big deal out of nothing, f*cking tiny people make it to big positions every bloody day -- AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN THAT SHORT!!! :eek:

Unless you're looking to become a light-bulb changer, your height is not going to affect you any more than you let it.

If you're feeling bad, just go to the gym and pump up, then when someone says "hah, you're small", you get them in a headlock and pop off their head with your bicep! :D

BTW, I'm 17 and 5ft 9/10, and I'd love to be really tall, but I doubt I'll be growing much more to be honest. At what age do we stop getting taller? Cos I don't think I've grown in a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

at least if WW3 occurs your short enough to be a tank driver/gunner - all the poor tall suckers will be left outside without 4inch armour!!

ferdi wrote:
    at least if WW3 occurs your short enough to be a tank driver/gunner - all the poor tall suckers will be left outside without 4inch armour!!
    The glass is half full afterall! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

mr.sparkle wrote:
    There is something annoying about small people!

No, there's something annoying about you, not small people!!!

Stop insulting all us vertically challenged people & get over yourself.
    I honestly think your a troll anyway.

I can't believe people are still seriously replying to this thread, your obviously ignoring every bit of advice thats been given to this thread anyway, so why bother posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i find that life at 5'1" is perfectly fine.

although, having a unfeasibly large penis has helped me through the pain....

perhaps you should start looking at the positive side of life. i suspect if you suddenlky grew another 6 inches, youre life wouldnt change that much. i think you would still have issues, youd just blame them on something else.

weemcd wrote:
    at what age aprox do we stop growing at?
    It varies hugely. Girls tend to stop growing earlier. Traditional logic has been 17-18 but some these days keep growing until 20-21. Bring it up on Biology / medicine if you want.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Unless you're looking to become a light-bulb changer, your height is not going to affect you any more than you let it.
    I use a valve grinder thingy to change twist on bulbs, little rubber sucker holds the bub on the end of a stick. Anyway you could get plasters stilts. Seriously any job you get as a bulb changer would mean the company would have to supply with the necessary equipment.

Well f*ck me -- you can even be a light-bulb changer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OrlaOrla

being small myself i love small guys!and 5"7 is hardly short in my opinion,its a nice height and you wont intimidate small/medium women!dont mind the tall ones!and anyone whose teased you is just messing to make themselves feel good,being compact is the best,sure why do u think theyre making phones and such smaller and smaller these days! i know a guy whos smaller than you and is such a player,never has any problem getting women because hes funny and outgoing and loves himself the way he is!try focusing on your good points and in my opinion being small is a good point!

Advertisement