Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

alias no.9 wrote:
    I can beat that, my father has been driving fiats since 1982, two of my sisters have fiats, I've had a fiat. The cars have included an original panda, two uno's, three punto's, two bravo's and a stilo. The combined mileage of the lot (covered by my family) is probably close to 750,000 miles. One of the punto's blew a head gasket, it wasn't fixed properly and blew again. That's the sum total of non wear and tear faults that you'll get on every car.

That sounds like the old yard brush joke
    " I've had this brush fo 15yrs only changed the handle 3 times and the head 4 times"

Opel's are as bad a Fiats since the mid 90's and the pedals are too close on the Corsa.
    If the VW hasn't got over sized wheels or boy raced go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Just regarding the fiats, I am getting my first car soon-ish and I am in the same situation as the OP.

I have heard differing reports about the puntos reliability, I know about 6 people with them and one is having minor problems and the rest of them are grand. I have about 4000-4500 to spend and the punto, to me, seems like the best value out of all of these. Best spec, best looks ( imo others look far more dated) etc.
    What I wanna know is if you get a punto fully checked out and all is ok and its the 16v sporting should it be ok?

Btw sorry for hijacking thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

69 mustang wrote:
    That sounds like the old yard brush joke
    " I've had this brush fo 15yrs only changed the handle 3 times and the head 4 times"

Opel's are as bad a Fiats since the mid 90's and the pedals are too close on the Corsa.
    If the VW hasn't got over sized wheels or boy raced go for it.

How the f#*k do you make that out? One blown head gasket, not fixed properly, blew again six weeks later, was fixed and ran fine for at least another 40k miles before the car was traded in. Other than that you've got run of the mill wear and tear items at high mileage such as clutches and wheel bearings, stuff that will happen to any car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KME

I Bought a 2001 16v Punto sporting and I have never had any problems. I know lots of people who are very happy with Fiat. IF I were you i'd with the Punto all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Yeah cheers for that, its the way im leaning anyways. Ill get a mint one and have it fully checked and hopefully it will be grand.

If I get any hassle this will be the first place I turn to complain so you will all know about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

VW's and Punto's have more in common than you might think... I was in my local motor factors to order some flexible brake lines for my primera. The guy in there mentioned when taking the order that the only ones they keep in stock are for VW's and Punto's because they nearly always need replacing for the NCT.

Advertisement