Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Memories.

• 26-10-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

By far and away the best year I had in school, made so many friends and had a laugh every single day.

Particular highlights:
    • The trip to the Burren.
    • Learning about food safety and 30ft tape-worms.
    • Beating the other TY class in soccer despite the fact that we had all the rugby players and they had the "stars"
    • Sleeping in the school on the "hike" we did for GAISCE, because of the "foot and mouth" outbreak.
    • Going on work experience to RTE.
    • Throwing chocolate bars around the classroom and putting melted bars down peoples seats and into their bags! ;)
    • Outdoor Education every Tuesday: Judo in the mornings, random trips in the mini-bus in the afternoon
    • Making a phrasebook of one of my teachers sayings.
    • Learning the guitar for my GAISCE. One of the best decisions I made in school. Haven't regretted it one bit.
    • Making so many new friends who are now some of my closest mates
    • Organising the school talent show. I designed the programme!
    • Playing soccer in 80mph winds on Dollymount.
    • Canoeing in a swimming pool in Malahide!

Feel free to share!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

people can benefit from ty then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

What happpened on the trip to the Burren that was so memorable?
    It's a load of rock isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭wba88

i miss ty........5th year is crap!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

*sigh* memories.... i'm now an embittered lc student! lol ya fond memories singing queen songs on the bus back from maynooth.. getting kicked out of the school library for giggling uncontrollably every wednesday, and enraging our philsophy teacher.... plus hiding in the school instead of going to maths! hehe good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

TY is about as close as you get to college in school.
    I have great memories of it to:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Diarmsquid wrote:
    What happpened on the trip to the Burren that was so memorable?
    It's a load of rock isn't it?

We went potholing and had massive running towel battles with the girls in the evenings. Oh, the innocence!
    Jakkass wrote:
    people can benefit from ty then :p

Definitely! Agree exactly with ARGINITE above, thats the best description of it. Meeting people who are now some of my closest mates is the best bit. I wouldn't know most of the people I'm in college with now had it not been for TY. You do learn things in it, not the normal boring school stuff though. Its all about practical skills. I learned to cook, to play music, to "act" (hahaha!) and loads of other stuff.

Would I do it all again? In a flash.

some of these projects have no relevance in getting a career or career based things though

Ah live a little! Life is about living, not just basing your entire first 20 years on gearing yourself towards a career you'll have til your mid 60's, after which you'll spend your days waiting for the inevitable.

TY (in my school anyway) was the most fun I've ever had. I really looked forward to coming in every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ah live a little! Life is about living.
    I think that sums up TY in a nutshell.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

omg i loved TY! i miss it so much!!!

• Advertisement

I'd rather be in sixth year (just knowing im going to leave the year after is good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

no i don't want to leave secondary school...it's like a security blanket, after this its out into the big bad world!!!

though saying that....i can't wait for college!!!

I can't wait to go to university and get a job I like instead of dreading school everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    • Playing soccer in 80mph winds on Dollymount.

Feel free to share!

haha, that made me laugh, I can imagine it exactly!

Well some of my memories are when we did a film, like where we'd write it up, and then act it. It's so funny watching yourself/friends on camera, because the camera picks up on everything. The stuff you hear ppl saying and doing when you play it back! Absolutely Classic.

We also had this business teacher who couldn't control the class for his life. I mean he'd give us a sheet do to, and two seconds later they'd be hitting him int he back of the head, not really hard or anything, and it's not like we are knackers, it's just funny cos he is young and like needed to be worn in. He was from limerick, so his accent was always a good things to copy. Em.. turns out he's a guard now, prolly couldn't hack it in the classroom. Ah well.. they were great times. There are loads and loads more memories, that's just a couple.

One thing I particularly liked was the fact that i moved to that school on TY, and I felt really at home because of the fact it was such a relaxed year.

Ah yeah, and we went to a golfing driving range we came back and this guy goes, "watch lads, look how far I can drive this".. *drives ball* *smash* .. drove the ball about 150 yards into the buss window.. :P then another time he was messing with this guy in class, they were mess fighting and he pushed him through a window, no one was hurt tho. But it was funny! ha. he's not an aggressive guy...:rolleyes:

lol sounds great alright :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

it was so long ago that all I can remember was britney spears still being a school girl. Of course i was a school boy then.. so it was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Particular highlights:
    • The trip to the Burren.
    • Learning about food safety and 30ft tape-worms.

Feel free to share!

Must have been with Philip Prosser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

So many memories....4th year was without doubt the best year of my life so far

i)Trip to Recess in Connemara. Just bonded so much with all my classmates

ii)Snowboarding in New Hampshire. That was pretty much the best week of my life. Snowboarding in Loon Mtn. and Bretton Woods, shopping in a ridiculously big mall, getting 'involved' with the girls school we were with

iii)School exchange to NY. Went to proper American house parties, all the Americans absolutely loved us. Got to know all the cheerleaders, got in fights with the jealous jocks. Went all around Manhattan, all the touristy stuff. Felt like kings for a week!

iv)Play with a nearby girls school. From January-March pretty much we had rehearsals every night, and it was the best fun ever. Woke up every morning for a week after it finished just going "bollocks I have nothing to do now"

v)All the classes for the whole year where we sat there and did absolutely nothing, just messed and talked with everyone, including the teachers

vi)Sailing every Tuesday morning for half the year during the depths of winter. It was worth it just for the hot chocolate afterwards!

vii)Work experience in an Industrial Design company, had actual input into a product and learned loads

So much fun, so many memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

What school did you go to, and is it too late to sign up?!

sounds deadly stuff tho :p

• Advertisement

Outcast wrote:
    Must have been with Philip Prosser...

You legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Malahide has a swimming pool?

Somewhere out that direction, not too sure of the name of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Malahide has a swimming pool?
    It has the sea!

I think there is a pool in the Grand Hotel , but there is also the PSLC in Portmarnock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

so JoeSoap Im guessin you went to CCC

anyway TY the best year of my life ever!
    Of course next year I am going to wish i was off in college when I see my old year leaving school but it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

*sniff* me and my academic TY... (Hey amanda!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

no i don't want to leave secondary school...it's like a security blanket, after this its out into the big bad world!!!

though saying that....i can't wait for college!!!

Same here the responsilbilties in collage seem so horrible..but still cant wait for the whole social aspect of it!!

I miss Ty too..the days of arriving home from school and not having to do ANYTHING :rolleyes:
    *SIGHS*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

wba88 wrote:
    i miss ty........5th year is crap!!!!!!!!!

hear hear 5th year is so bad init ty was savage god i just went in everyday and slept and now i get loads of homework and for ye tys dont do geo for the lc ty rock on

Advertisement