Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 200. Any good?

Options
  • 26-10-2005 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

I was looking at getting one of these, probably 99. The thing is I have absolutely no clue about cars. Are these any good?
    Arent Rover gone bankrupt, what would that mean to me if I bought the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont have any direct experience of the 200, although my mate drives one and is perfectly happy with it. He commutes from Kinnegad every day without problem. Think his is a 97 or 98. I drive a 620 and like it.

As for them going bankrupt, I wouldnt let that worry you. Theres the usual thing of plenty of them on the road/scrapped for parts, and theres always companies making parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just be careful of the head gasket as it is a known failure point of the Rover 200/400.

An easy way to tell the head gasket is on it's way out is to check the oil filler cap under the bonnet for a mayonase type white fluid. If you see this your probaly looking at a hefty bill to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bush wrote:
    I was looking at getting one of these, probably 99. The thing is I have absolutely no clue about cars. Are these any good?
    Not really. They're cramped, poorly assembled, crash badly and are an old design. They have a poor reputation reliability wise. On the plus side the engines give decent output for their size, and rover used to do nice interiors on some of them.

Depends on how much you're getting it for, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

The short answer is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

The guy next door to me just got rid of his gave him nothing but trouble, the garage didn't want to know after the plant went belly up. He now has a 406.
    On a good note I'm sure they'd make a good bonfire.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

No forget it !

Stay away !

Even one with a recently repaired head gasket is one that is just waiting to go again ! A guy I know has done the same car 3 times in 2 years, and it just gets dearer every time !

The fact that Rover are no longer wont help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Prices for replacement parts from Rover dealers have been increased to the point where it is too expensive to do even the simplest repair unless you can source the parts elsewhere. The last two parts I priced for a Rover from the local dealer was an outrageous price. One of these parts I had bought before
    the maker's collapse and it was over 100% dearer this time round.

The people who took over the parts business are engaging in extortion of Rover owners.

Advertisement