Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna 1.8 Petrol

Options
  • 26-10-2005 7:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have the oppurtunity to pick up a Laguna II 1.8 petrol super sport.
    Would appreciate pros/cons from owners/folk in "the know"
    Rgds

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Is that a silver laguna by any chance cos it sounds the very same as the one i was looking at yesterday in the mountrath area of laois! i have some info if it is that could be worth your time hearing if it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Hmm

Pros
    Nice seats

Cons
    Hard on petrol
    Unreliable
    Sh1te electrics
    Its french
    Parts Tres expensive

Oh and

Its a renault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

The lugana is easy go get out of is another pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure that all the electrics are working as they can suffer from electronic gremlins especially the air con/climate control, tyre pressure sensors, etc.

Also make sure it has a service history especially regarding when the timing belt was last changed.

If buying from a dealer make sure you get a decent warranty with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Laguna's are a nice car. My dad's 01 is going pretty well, I don't think he has had one problem with it including electric's. Generally they arent too bad in the laguna's. Its the megane's i worry about.

The super sport model come's packed with stuff just like my dad's one, Things such as Washers that pop out of the bumper to clean the head light's, Most people dont even know they have it.. But super sport plus should, Loads of things like that, you will notice when you get the car. Its nice and all but... all more to go wrong. But I would go ahead if the price is right with the car, go ahead and buy it. Very comftorble car.

If your going to buy it, Keep it for a while, Because they don't hold there value very well, so may aswel Get what you can from it.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They are depreciation time bombs, great if you're geting a 02 car with 40k miles for €7k, but it should only be considered if it's at the right side of the depreciation curve. As for the electrics, the biggest bug is the tyre pressure sensors, annoying if you've just spent €30k on a new car but if you've just picked up a 3 year old car for €7k that costs €30 new, just disconnect the damn things, you've survived this long wothout them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I drove a 02 one (diesel) for 3 years

no problems with any of the electrics, even the tyre pressure sensors
    1 very small problem with the engine (had great mpg actually) a €10 widget went in it

It is a great family car, I only sold mine because I dont have a family and didnt need all the space, got 14k for it too on trade in, I was told that if it were the petrol version I wont have got anything near that. If possible I'd got with a diesel version if you can find one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

[PHP]Is that a silver laguna[/PHP]
    Nope.

Renault reliability is questionable I hear, but I've had a 19, megane and classic and only "issue" in 12 renault driving years is having to replace a cat on a 5 year old classic.
    Agree dep. is bad, but only if you are crazy enough to buy one new, If I was buying new then I'd buy a Jap for similar enough price but better holding value.
    It has 50k on her, has been off the road for about 6 month - no driver around - and would cost me about €7k, there's nothing fishy regarding the history, the car is well known to me.
    So with new info - price and mileage - would ye think yeah/nae
    tks for replies so far

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

For 7K, Id' say go for it. Your getting a Car packed for next to nothing. Also, Never had one problem in my father's laguna with Tyre Pressure monitor.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

what year is it?

they came out in 01, I sold my 02 with 55k on the clock for 14k so if its 01/02i'd go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

From what i hear the early Laguna IIs (01 cars) gave a fair amount of problems but things improved later on. Certainly my 03 car has been very reliable with one or two minor electrical problems in 90,000 miles (I am a high mileage driver hence the big mileage for a 03) I also hear that the diesels gave more trouble early on than the petrols.

For 7k you can't really go wrong although it does sound like a supiciously low price. It is far below carzone.ie prices. Cars on there with same spec and mileage as yours are advertised for 13-15k.

Similar cars in the same class from other manufactuerers are going for about the same so I wonder where people get the idea that the Laguna is a depreciation disaster. From what I can see, it is about average for the class. Bear in mind that the cars were good value new with far more equipment for the money than say a Passat. So people may be getting the idea that the Renault was more expensive new than it actually was and hence are overstating the amount of depreciation. A bit like how people think that Skodas depeciate heavily without considering that the cars are very good value new hence the % depreciation may be not bad at all.

Advertisement