Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to reformat - export

• 20-09-2001 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I need to export all my Emails, addresses and accounts info from outlook Express 5, and i need to export my *ahem* ICQ *cough* contact list quickly, instead of manually copying down everything.
    I've exported my address book in .csv format, I've told Outlook to put the inbox, outox, sent folders etc. in a specific location, and i've burnt those files to disk. AFAIK I got out look to use these files as the inboxes again after re-install.
    Is there any easy way to export all this stuff?
    I don't supose MS thought ppl would need to do it, Win98SE being soo stable (/me laughs hollowly)
    Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Right, this is fun.

To back up all your mail files, so a search/find for files named *.dbx. this should find a bunch of files under your folder names (eg inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx etc). All as you need do is copy these to your backup device, then when you have things back up and running again, you can import them again using the import wizard in OE.
    For your address book, you need to do a search for *.wab files, and just back that up as well, and then import in the same way.
    For ICQ, depending on what version you are using (2000a, 2000b etc) you need to go to Program Files\ICQ and then back up the relevant folder. Then, when you are up and running again, use the database conversion wizard to re-instate this folder. it doesn't always work, so I reccomend backing things up to something like ICQRoaming (www.icqroaming.com) or some other service AS WELL!!!

Any further Qs give me a shout:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I knew the Outlook bit, in =fact, ina rouhnd-about way I said ithat that was what i was doing allready, but thaks anyways:)
    I still need some quick way to export all my account settings in one go too.

As for teh ICQ prob, its c:\....ICQ\200x where x is the version number, right? all the contacts are stored in tehr?
    cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

yup...just back up the whole folder.

As for backing up your account settings and Mail Rules etc, no way of doing that easily (In fact I know of no way at all) but I'm sure there is a Registry hack somewhere, it just still has to be found, though I've spent years searching!! :(

Hehe, I empathise with you :)

AFAIK you can export one account setting at a time, but this is ahrdly ideal.

Fupping MS.

Anyone tried POCO Mail (besides Mikill)

I installed it but figured I was too lazy to go learning a whole new email client.
    I won't let the same thing happen with my web browser.
    Opera here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Opera does email, I find it very good.

All you do to backup your Opera mail (all accounts) is the Mail directory in the Opera install directory. Then take something like opera.ini and opera.adr (bookmarks) and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

go into explorer and select your entire c:\windows directory, copy it and put it somewhere safe, run into trouble, del the new one with corrupt system files or whatever the problem may be and replace with the fresh backup you have from a clean install, works a treat, unless you have a nice partition/enough space to create an image and just reload your image ;)

Have fun :D I know I did last night when I went throught the motions of fdisk Again! don't you just love it when you have nothing but a gui :rolleyes:

Just about the reinstall,
    what's the DOS command to copy the whole driectory of Win98 (from the CD to the hrd drive?)

I would like to have it like this:
    C:\
    ¦
    ¦---Win98
    ¦ ¦
    ¦ ¦---Win98
    ¦ ¦ ¦
    ¦ ¦ ¦---all the .cab files and contents of D:\Win98 on the CD
    ¦ ¦
    ¦ the setup.exe files etc.
    ¦
    ¦---Windows
    ¦
    allthe stuff that I'll be deleting again in a few months :(
    so that I can install Windows from my hard drive.

Sofar I reckon I can do this at the C:\> on my empty drive:
    C:\>md win98
    C:\>cd c:\win98
    C:\win98>md win98
    C:\win98>copy D:\win98 C:\win98\win98
    C:\win98>copy D:\ C:\win98
    C:\win98>setup.exe
    and it should [ ;) ]install windows from that folder and i'll never have to hunt for that windows cd again everytime I look at the properties of my NIC and clikc "Ok" by mistake again.........grrrrrrrr

Alos, I'm really getting into the wing of AICSII pix0ring ;)

Advertisement