Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genre top five

Options
  • 26-10-2005 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I tried this on the film board recently and it died a horrible death. Post your top five in various genres. Tiz a good way to get reccomendations.

FPS
    1.Half Life 1 & 2 ( they count as one! just like godfather 1 & 2 :P )
    2.Goldeneye
    3.Perfect Dark
    4.Call of duty
    5.Metroid Prime ( does this count as fps? )

RPG
    1.Dark age of camelot
    2.Final Fantasy VII
    3.KOTOR
    4.System Shock II
    5.Final Fantasy X

Strategy
    1.Rome Total War
    2.Red alert II
    3.Starcraft
    4.Civ II
    5.Dawn of war

Later on I'll do adventure, racing, multyplayer & beat em up up ups. DO whatever genres you wish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

deus ex has to be in rpg!
    (1 ofcourse i like to pretend the sequel didnt happen kinda like the matrix )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

RPG/Adventure
    1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Vagrant Story
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    4. Ico
    5. Rogue

Sport
    1. Pro Evolution Soccer
    2. Virtua Tennis 2
    3. FIFA RTWC 98
    4. ISS Deluxe
    5. Smash Court Tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

you count ico as an rpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Platform
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    Super Mario 64
    Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

RPG:

1) Planescape Torment
    2) Baldurs Gate Series
    3) Fallout 1+2
    4) Star Wars: KotoR
    5) Neverwinter Nights: User Created Modules gives this unlimited role-playing possibilities, especially the Hall of Fame quality modules.

Yep, no recent RPG's on my list. No console rpg's either. If it doesn't have millions of numbers it ain't rpg. :p

Strategy:

1) Civilisation series (I particularly liked Alpha Centauri)
    2) Warhammer: Dawn of War
    3) Starcraft (Probably should place higher but disappointed no sequel as of yet)
    4) Total Annihilation
    5) Tie between X-Com and Jagged Alliance 2

I prefer turn based strategy gaming over real time but some of the above are just quality real time games. Currently playing Rebelstar Tactical Command on GBA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tezcat

ooh i like these, I'm guessing its all time, and of which I've played. Ill probably want to change this a thousand times. ive done top 10s and top 5s

FPS
    1.Half Life 1 (for it was truely groundbreaking)
    2.Half life 2 (Amazing, technically superb - but spoiled by a poor ending)
    2.Doom (the original - hell yeah)
    3.Call of duty (best ww2 fps MoH felt limited and staged in comparison)
    4.Jedi knight(Shuperb, and Shtarwarsie)
    5.Farcry (For a linear game, it felt particularly unlinear, gorgeous, great AI)
    6.Cronicles of riddick ( I just liked it, specially the punching)
    7.Halo(thouroughly enjoyed this great game)
    8. AvP (prepare to **** thyself - Playing as the alien was a truly new experience.)
    9. project IGI (non linear mission modes, class technically and class soundtrack)
    10. Quake/q2 (mmmm brown, nail gun ftw)

RPG
    1.Deus Ex (Massive. Fantastically written, expsnasive, and it didnt have 1 single hard to beat end of game boss, but a complex end of game set piece)
    2.System Shock 2 (doom3 makes me uneasy and makes my hair stand up, I have to stop playing, they scared the hell out of me at times but kept me hooked enough to keep pushing through)
    3.KOTOR(Dark side, light side, superb game, well made and a joy to play)
    4.Baldurs gate II(it's been a while, but this ate a good chunk of time)
    5.Anacronox(lesser known, great fun, and vast, superb)

Stealth
    1.Thief Deadly Shadows (Sublime sneaking, I came late in the genre, didn't play 1 or 2 (shame on me))
    2.Metal Gear Solid 2(the reson I bough the Playstation)
    3.Metal gear solid 3(really well made - great game)
    4.Splinter cell(mmmm rubber)
    5.Sneaking to bed late without the GF noticing after playing games until 5:00 in the morning

Adventure
    1.Grim Fandango (hilarious - Gorgeous - clever - if you havent played this.. shame.)
    2.Sam and Max hit the road (twisted hilarity - lucasarts ftw)
    3.Police quest series (ahh wasted childhood)
    4.Blade Runner (managed to finish this in 7 different ways, after the first it wasnt the same though. amazing game)
    5.The Curse of Mokey Island. (funny, clever)
    6.DOTT (genius)
    7.The longest journey (nice game, aimed at adults in content style I think, which is cool - Clever and pretty)
    8.Beneath a Steal Sky (hmm quirky, sci-fi, nice)
    9.Space Quest series (Great, funny games, Roger wilco ftw)
    10.Dark Earth (You might not have heard of this, very good)
    broken sword would be 11, just didnt cut it for my top 10

Strategy
    1.Dawn of War (a fan of the tabletop version - this game title blew me away)
    2.Red alert II (the grand daddy)
    3.Ground control (no basebuilding, truely about strat)
    4.Rome Total War ("legionary First Cohort - Form Testudo")
    5.Commandos/Commandos2 (Roight away siirrr)
    6.Warcraft 3 (Blizz u rock, this game is superb, multiplayer is fantastic)
    7.Syndicate Wars (Yum, cyberpunk)
    8.dungeon Keeper 2 (unique in style and great)
    9.Dune 2 (harvesters, worms, this was my first ever strat)
    10.Homeworld (eeek an extra dimension - Vast)

War Sim/Tac Shooter
    1.Op Flashpoint (felt like what I expect war would be like, shooting at speks and muzzle flashes, great pace, immersive and non linear)
    2.Hidden and Dangerous (Squad shooting be born (not including space hulk))
    3.Swat 4 (nice realism)
    4.Ghost recon (Well balanced and fun)
    5. Full spectrum Warrior (this feels niely unbogged down by complexities, easy to give orders.)

Driving
    1.GT3 Aspec (Played this for many hours, addictive and massively re-playable)
    2.Microprose Grand Prix.(back when I was big into grand prix, this game was always on my pc, great for LAN multiplayer)
    3.NFS Underground. (gimmicky but great fun)
    4.Colin Mcrae Rally (endless fun - "Long ended right")
    5.Chase HQ (Arcade - used to love this - cost me a fortune)

Misc
    1.GTA Vice city (this game got me though a lot, every time I hear lifes what u make it or kids in america and im driving I feel like im back in vice. Love fist - Rock)
    2.Mafia (Massively enjoyable - love the era - good use of the game style created by the gta games)
    3.Sacrifice (this could almost fit in strategy - should not be missed)
    4.Messiah (superb game, cheeky cherub jumping into a big cyborgy dude or a hooker! go figure)
    5.Giants (funny - colourful - playable)
    6.Hostile waters (unique - great)
    7.Max Payne (one of the few games I brought home and finished over a weekend, like playing a movie)
    8.Nocturne (any1 who played this knows how good it was)
    9.Sim City/Sim City 2k (Me build cities - Me send alien to invade)
    10.Black and White (truely original tamagotchi title with bells on (cow-bells))

Space Sim
    1.XWing (oh man, this was superb, If I said Elite I'd be lying, I never played it, ashamed)
    2.Freespace 2 (best space sim of recent years by far)
    3.Frontier elite 2 (played this for months, computer crashed and lost data - was destraught)
    4.X (I still have a map I drew for this sumwhere, what a great, but huge game)
    5.Freelancer (less about the shipness, more about the trading, storyline)

1.Battlefield 2 (ranking up, getting badges/ribbons/medals, unlocking weapons, this has a hell of a lot in it to keep u hooked.)
    2.Counter strike source (played CS for years, got bored and frankly left behind by the people who had more time to play and practice than me, CS:S brought me back, now I play for the fun)
    3.Team Fortress Classic (Conc Jumping through windows hundreds of feet away, IR teh pwnzors)
    4.SWG (Best MMO Ive played to date, and I've played a lot of them)
    5.tribes (brilliant - Scifi-ish)

Eeek, I got carried away, and I feel i should have mentioned the likes of Worms, super mario land, Lemmings, Space Hulk, Flashback, Xenon2, speedball 2 deluxe, sumwhere fallout, they all kicked ass...

Battlechess! lol amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Note: These are for consoles:

Sport:

1. Top Spin
    2. Tiger Woods Golf Series
    3. ISS Pro Evo Series
    4. Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast version)
    5. NBA Jam

FPS:

1. Halo 1/2
    2. Goldeneye
    3. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Platform:

1. Mario 3 (NES)
    2. Super Mario World (SNES)
    3. Mario/Wario Series (Gameboy)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    5. Insert name here platformer for the Megadrivge, had 2 different names. Cant remember either. Was wicked though

Edit: 5 above is Flashdance, what game

Notable mention for MarioKart on the snes as well. Still enjoy it today. What a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

fair play to you Tezcat thats one impressive list

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RPG:
    1. Panzer Dragoon Saga: Way ahead of it's time even now. Only 17 hours long but 17 hours of RPG perfection
    2. Suikoden 2: Best story in a videogame ever. The last 5 hours or so are heartbreaking.
    3. Final Fantasy VII: A milestone in console RPGs.
    4. Final Fantasy X: Excellent story and the best RPG battle system ever
    5. Grandia: Great battle system and likeable characters make up for a weak storyline.

FPS:
    1. Half-Life 1: Has originality oozing from every pore, unlike the sequel which was your basic FPS but just made rather well.
    2. Doom 2: More enemies and better level design just what everyone wanted.
    3. Metroid Prime: So not really a fps but still a great adventure and the only FPS that has decent bosses along with the sequel
    4. Dark Forces: Excellent star wars FPS game. Far better than the dire Raven developed jedi knight games
    5. Call of Duty: Best WW2 fps ever.

Platform:
    1. Super Mario World
    2. Mario 3
    3. Mario 64
    4. Yoshi's Island
    5. Sonic 2

Arcady action games:
    1. Gunstar Heroes
    2. Rocket Knight Adventures
    3. Metal Slug 2
    4. Contra 3
    5. Metal Slug

Shmup:
    1. Radiant Silvergun
    2. Dodonpachi
    3. R-type
    4. Einhander
    5. Axelay

Adventure:
    1. Super Metroid
    2. Monkey Island 2
    3. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    4. Ico
    5. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

Strategy:
    1. Starcraft
    2. Starcraft
    3. Starcraft
    4. Starcraft
    5. Starcraft: Brood War

Weird as fook:
    1. Katamari Damascry
    2. Cho Aniki (Saturn shmup game)
    3. Mystical Ninja featuring Geomon
    4. Hyper Bishi Bashi Special
    5. Parodius: Forever with me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Racing:
    1. Mario Kart
    2. F-zero GX
    3. Sega Rally
    4. Wipeout 2097
    5. F-zero
    (yep, only a fan of arcade racers, sims and GT games bore me to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

The problem with 'Top X' lists is that people mix up 'top X most fun to play games' and 'top X most influential games' lists. There should be some seperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

madrab wrote:
    you count ico as an rpg?
    Well, yeah, its an Adventure game i guess, just didnt want to bother with another list :) I ll edit that top5

Retr0gamer wrote:
    RPG:

4. Dark Forces: Excellent star wars FPS game. Far better than the dire Raven developed jedi knight games
    oooooh. I agree with u there, thats actually what I meant when I said jedi knight above. agree 100%

Shmup:
    I have no earthly Idea what shump is, please enlighten me...

shmup is an abbreviation of shoot'em up. Basically it's the old school 2D scrolling spaceship games. I hope for the love of god you have heard about R-type. I thought it would be obvious with that title in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Tusky wrote:
    I tried this on the film board recently and it died a horrible death. Post your top five in various genres. Tiz a good way to get reccomendations.
    Ok, I am just confused by tusky's list. System Shock 2 should be in the fps category. Metroid Prime is more of a RPG than SS2.

DAOC is a MMORPG, it has no place in the RPG genre unless you really want to mix the 2.

Your strategy games consists of turn based strategy games and real time strategy games...why? They have very different play styles and shouldn't be mixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

RPG:

1. Final Fantasy VII (just because.... it was my first, too)
    2. Grandia II (utterly amazing game, fantastic battle system)
    3. Final Fantasy X
    4. Star Ocean 3: Till The End Of Time
    5. Chrono Trigger

Adventure:

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (always thought it more an adventure than a trad. RPG... why has no one mentioned any Zelda??!?)
    2. Grim Fandango (glad to see I wasn't the only one who LOVED this game)
    3. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
    4. Metroid Prime
    5. Hmmmmmm I can't think.

Multiplayer:
    (rated for which had the longest life and which produced the most laughter :))

1. GoldenEye (N64)
    2. Super Smash Bros. (N64)
    3. Worms 2 (PC)
    4. Super Monkey Ball 2 (GC)
    5. Donkey Konga (GC)....... four sets of bongos and you've got a whole night of sore hands.

That'll do me for now I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

CodeMonkey wrote:
    System Shock 2 should be in the fps category.

Not really that simple. It's a bit of both.
    DAOC is a MMORPG, it has no place in the RPG genre unless you really want to mix the 2.

Unless Tusky makes two seperate lists, one MMO and one RPG, he should mix the two. No point leaving out a really good MMO (which is still an RPG).
    Your strategy games consists of turn based strategy games and real time strategy games...why? They have very different play styles and shouldn't be mixed.

Why not? Again, unless he makes specific lists for "turn-based" and "real time", why not mix the two into his generic list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I really cant be arsed coming up with lists for different genres..so heres just some kickass games noone should be without:

1:Final Fantasy 7 (best rpg ever)
    2:Vagrant story (2nd best rpg ever)
    3:Half life 2 (an incredible experience)
    4:ICO (heartbreaking)
    5:KOTOR (excellent rpg with great plot twist)
    6:Monkey Island (funniest game ever)
    7:GTA3 (the granddaddy and still best of the gta series)
    8:Doom 3 (visceral, sh!t-your-bags fun)
    9:Battlefield series (best online fps's ever)
    10:World of warcraft (a really unique living world to explore..but too addictive and monthly payments mean i quit after a few motnhs..still have great memories of it tho)

If youve never played these...shame on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

Yup I've just got World of Warcraft, getting started. Liking it so far, seems very open and that's just lovely! I've not been much of a PC gamer for a while so getting back into it now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FPS
    1. Half Life 2
    2. Half Life 1
    3. Deus Ex (no getting picky here)

RPG
    1.FF7
    2.Zelda : Ocriana
    3.Zelda : Wind Waker
    4. Paper Mario 2
    5.Misc other Zelda games

Action / Adventure / Platform
    1. Beyond Good And Evil
    2. Resident Evil 4
    3. Mario 64
    4. ICO
    5. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Portable:
    1. Zelda : The Minish Cap
    2. Astro Boy : Omega Factor
    3. Advance Wars
    4. Metroid Fusion
    5. Wario Ware Touched!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Ok, I am just confused by tusky's list. System Shock 2 should be in the fps category. Metroid Prime is more of a RPG than SS2.

System shock 2 is as much an rpg as duex ex...and that is certainly an rpg. DAOC is a massively multyplayer rpg...so why cant it go on the rpg list ? Why should there be two seperate strategy lists ?

koneko wrote:
    Not really that simple. It's a bit of both.
    Yeah I know ss2 is a bit of both but my point was so is metroid prime. In fact, I would consider metroid prime more of an rpg than ss2 or deux ex. It makes no sense to dump one in fps genre and the other in rpg. Just thought he should be consistent.
    Unless Tusky makes two seperate lists, one MMO and one RPG, he should mix the two. No point leaving out a really good MMO (which is still an RPG).
    Cause the traditional RPGs are very different to MMORPGs. The former being a story driven, single player affair with a proper ending and a measurable play time. How can you say DAOC is better than the other RPGs when they are played so differently? If people are listing games by the genre they might as well do it properly or not at all. Just do a games list.
    Why not? Again, unless he makes specific lists for "turn-based" and "real time", why not mix the two into his generic list?
    For the same reason I stated above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Games that blew me away genre:
    1.Warcraft III:Reign Of Chaos/Warcraft III:The frozen Throne(multiplayer God)
    2.Morrowind(series and expansions).
    3.Final Fantasy series.
    4.Baldurs Gate series.
    5.Counter Strike.

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Yeah I know ss2 is a bit of both but my point was so is metroid prime. In fact, I would consider metroid prime more of an rpg than ss2 or deux ex. It makes no sense to dump one in fps genre and the other in rpg. Just thought he should be consistent.

Cause the traditional RPGs are very different to MMORPGs. The former being a story driven, single player affair with a proper ending and a measurable play time. How can you say DAOC is better than the other RPGs when they are played so differently? If people are listing games by the genre they might as well do it properly or not at all. Just do a games list.

For the same reason I stated above.

Metroid prime is in absolutely no way an rpg.... its a cross between FPS & playform adventure style game. Dont know where you are getting rpg from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

RPG
    1.FF7
    2.Zelda : Ocriana
    3.Zelda : Wind Waker
    4. Paper Mario 2
    5.Misc other Zelda games

Zelda is'nt classed as an rpg. It's more of an action/adeventure game with small aspects of rpg.

Mmorpg and normal rpg's should be classed seperately as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

CodeMonkey wrote:
    If people are listing games by the genre they might as well do it properly or not at all. Just do a games list.

If he was writing an article or very detailed list then I would agree, split it down more specifically, but it's a top-view genre list of his favourite games, so I don't think there's really a need to be too specific.

I'd class MP as more of an adventure puzzle FPS than an RPG, I guess some games don't really fit into one particular genre, but I think that's a good thing (like some of my favourite movies or shows fit into several genres).

Metroid prime is in absolutely no way an rpg.... its a cross between FPS & playform adventure style game. Dont know where you are getting rpg from.
    I'd class MP as more of an adventure puzzle FPS than an RPG, I guess some games don't really fit into one particular genre, but I think that's a good thing (like some of my favourite movies or shows fit into several genres).
    I'd class MP as an adventure adventure/rpg personally. It doesn't look out of place in the FPS genre list. I am just having problem with SS2 in the rpg list if he's putting MP in fps genre. SS2 is more of an FPS with rpg and horror game elements so I think it should be in the fps section. But I guess it doesn't matter.
    koneko wrote:
    If he was writing an article or very detailed list then I would agree, split it down more specifically, but it's a top-view genre list of his favourite games, so I don't think there's really a need to be too specific.
    Well when tusky said list top 5 games by genre I was assuming he'd want the games in each genre to be quite specific. Otherwise it's just a list of games based on what genre I think it's in. It's actually just turning into my favourite list of "games using critiria of my choosing" like platform, arcade action games, weird as fook etc. Which is fair enough, will shut up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Retr0gamer wrote:

I rarely have cause to disagree with you, but its engine was slightly awkward and large parts of the level design were terrible, unlike some of the, quite frankly, fantastic work done in parts of it's sequel "Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight". The sequels were decreasingly impressive, though. It's not just my opinion either. Critics almost universally acclaimed DF2 while DF didn't inspire much praise once FPS games became more commonplace. Also, play more rts games :)
    Otherwise, good work.

Hehe, Parodius

CodeMonkey wrote:
    I'd class MP as an adventure adventure/rpg personally. It doesn't look out of place in the FPS genre list. I am just having problem with SS2 in the rpg list if he's putting MP in fps genre. SS2 is more of an FPS with rpg and horror game elements so I think it should be in the fps section. But I guess it doesn't matter.

Well when tusky said list top 5 games by genre I was assuming he'd want the games in each genre to be quite specific. Otherwise it's just a list of games based on what genre I think it's in. It's actually just turning into my favourite list of "games using critiria of my choosing" like platform, arcade action games, weird as fook etc. Which is fair enough, will shut up now :)

What elements of metroid are of the rpg genre exactly ?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    shmup is an abbreviation of shoot'em up. Basically it's the old school 2D scrolling spaceship games. I hope for the love of god you have heard about R-type. I thought it would be obvious with that title in the list.
    yup, I have I was just unable to make the connection with the word shump. crystal clear now. its been along week m8.

so much so that I've just realised its shmup u have written not shump. pwned by my own dsylexia again. even clearer now

Advertisement