Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with setting up a Network

• 20-09-2001 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

I have 2 PCs at home and I have two Laptops!! What way should i set up a network???? and how would i go about it????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

best place to start looking from my point of view is http://www.practicallynetworked.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you got network cards installed in all of them? If not, get some decent 10/100mbit cards, a hub and enough cable to go round. Someone else will post more detailed information :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Don't need a HUB for a 2PC network as he was talking about, 2 NIC's and a little Xross Over Cable will do the trick nicely!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

read his overe-exclamation-marked post again.
    he has two PCs and two laptops.
    he needs 2 PCi cards (prefably 100MBit), 2 PCMCIA Cards for the laptops (again 100MBit if possibnle, but I warn you, these will be dearer then the PCi) and either a 10/100MBit hub or a Switch. i'd go for the switch cos they don't split the network's bandwidth between every user. hence getting the full benefit of the cards.
    you'll also need cabling.
    CAT5 RJ45 cable is what you want. Try and get CAT5e if possible. Better quality cable. hence faster conenctions.
    You can find wiring guides everywhere if you googlize your life.
    Though for this arrangement there's no need to crossover. Just doa straight wiring jo9b.

Enjoy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

read his overe-exclamation-marked post again.
    he has two PCs and two laptops.
    he needs 2 PCi cards (prefably 100MBit), 2 PCMCIA Cards for the laptops (again 100MBit if possibnle, but I warn you, these will be dearer then the PCi) and either a 10/100MBit hub or a Switch. i'd go for the switch cos they don't split the network's bandwidth between every user. hence getting the full benefit of the cards.
    you'll also need cabling.
    CAT5 RJ45 cable is what you want. Try and get CAT5e if possible. Better quality cable. hence faster conenctions.
    You can find wiring guides everywhere if you googlize your life.
    Though for this arrangement there's no need to crossover. Just doa straight wiring job.

Enjoy.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement