Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA game: screeshots, reactions, etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shame they don't look like screenshots from in-game footage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Pff. Hardly realistic. All those pitches are perfectly level... Where are the dips, the ditches, and the hillsides?

So anyone know when we can expect GAA Manager to be released?

"This player is unavailable for selection as he has a Bank of Ireland training course to attend on matchday".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not a big turn out at the Mayo Kerry match...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are probably development pictures and will be toned down alot for the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I read in the Independent today that the tv add for the game mistakingly has a Mayo player scoring a goal on the mayo keeper. Very smart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭wba88

any1 know where to download the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

-oRnein9- wrote:
    I read in the Independent today that the tv add for the game mistakingly has a Mayo player scoring a goal on the mayo keeper. Very smart!

lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Reminds me of Fifa '97, looks wise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

looks horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

So anyone know when we can expect GAA Manager to be released?

"This player is unavailable for selection as he has a Bank of Ireland training course to attend on matchday".

Love it Aidan, and all too true... in your budget would you have the option to pay travel expenses as well or?

looks a bit crap in my opinion. is this one from elasticated arts or whos making?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Looks fugly. But you just know it's gonna sell like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

iregk wrote:
    is this one from elasticated arts or whos making?
    Nope... done by this crowd - IR Gurus
    IR Gurus is unquestionably one of Australia's most successful game development studios. Established in 1996, IR Gurus originally specialized in equestrian and stadium sports games, creating the hugely successful Saddle Club games and securing exclusive development rights for the lucrative Australian Football League AFL license.

Gaelic Games Football is based on their AFL series - here's a review of their latest incarnation.

Dont expect it to look good (FIFA style), but if the gameplay is anyway decent, it'll be well worth it.
    I can see it easily topping the charts over the Christmas period.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

wba88 wrote:
    any1 know where to download the ad?
    http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/ps2gaaad.mpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Stupid patriotism... gonna steal sales from properly developed games...
    Also, how badly is the PS2 gonna chug with 30 players on-field?
    Unless they turn the res waaaay down, I can't Imagine it...
    And what about buttons -- are there separate buttons for tap/bounce?

Oh, this is gonna be awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

K.O.Kiki wrote:

Rugby games have 30 players on the field and they run fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

You have to love the ad, "Get yisser flags". Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

K.O.Kiki wrote:

You seem to have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, other than you don't like GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

This is the first ever GAA game and its being made by a small company. You cant expect the earth, moon and stars right away, first time..

Give them a break! Just buy the game, and give it a lash. Then they can make it bigger and better for next time.

The best thing for all irish sports and games fans is if this game takes off, and it then gave a shot in the arm to the non-existant games industry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This is the first ever GAA game and its being made by a small company. You cant expect the earth, moon and stars right away, first time..

Give them a break! Just buy the game, and give it a lash. Then they can make it bigger and better for next time.

The best thing for all irish sports and games fans is if this game takes off, and it then gave a shot in the arm to the non-existant games industry :D

So what your saying is - even if this game is rubbish we should take pity on the deveopers and give them our hard earned cash. Did you ever consider working for Martin Cullen?

"Then they can make it bigger and better for next time."

That's quite close to what the head of SCE Ireland said to me, as in this is only the start.

• Advertisement

and it then gave a shot in the arm to the non-existant games industry :D
    You do realise its an Australian company developing this?
    I dont see how it could help the Irish games industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I do know this is an aussie company [Im an aussie rules fan, and therefore I have their last few AFL games].

My point is that there is no irish games industry, none. Maybe this will kick some people up the arse into thinking "we can do that better" and have a go at making a better version. Maybe it will kick the government into action realising that such a game should have been made in Ireland not 20,000 miles away and have a grant program for irish games companies etc etc -> give the industry in ireland a shot in the arm?

Until that point where you have several GAA games at some point in the future, something is better than nothing IMHO. Im not a GAA fan, but from a rugby POV we had 1 or 2 bad games from EA [which I bought] before the current Rugby game which is somewhat playable.

Im sure GAA fans would rather play a GAA game, than just sit there and slag it off. If you dont buy it, they wont make another one. Thats a sad fact of business.

Modern games are bloody complicated and expensive to make, and you cant expect Fifa/Pro Evo style games from small companies as a first effort. If nothing else, fifa and pro evo have litterally hundreds of people working on their games, where this GAA game will have 20 or so. If it sells well, maybe it will be 30 or 40 working on it next year, so it should be that bit better etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Also lets remember, Fifa is now in its 12th year of evolution. Yes, Fifa Internation Soccer appeared in 1993! So your not going to get gameplay, looks and everyting first time out to the standard of a game thats been around since footballs had laces!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the old Fifas were great. They went downhill with the 3D versions of 97 and have been recovering ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

My point is that there is no irish games industry, none. Maybe this will kick some people up the arse into thinking "we can do that better" and have a go at making a better version. Maybe it will kick the government into action realising that such a game should have been made in Ireland not 20,000 miles away and have a grant program for irish games companies etc etc -> give the industry in ireland a shot in the arm?

Modern games are bloody complicated and expensive to make, and you cant expect Fifa/Pro Evo style games from small companies as a first effort. If nothing else, fifa and pro evo have litterally hundreds of people working on their games, where this GAA game will have 20 or so. If it sells well, maybe it will be 30 or 40 working on it next year, so it should be that bit better etc etc

havok is one of the largest games companies in the industry. and it's in dublin. there are a few other companies. like one in donegal making some FPS effort (looks decent), as well as the Shiny Entertainment bloke being from NI, and given the bedroom modders in this country and the introduction of games to colleges (DIT comp sci and maynooth i think have them), in a few years we could see a massive emergance of games companies here.

you're right about the GAA game. wasn't going to be spot on first time. but that's dismal. they could have bought the pro evo engine from 2 years ago at a bargain basement price and built on that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Lads, why do ye think its going to be a crap game because the graphics dont like great? First of all the graphics dont look bad, I'm quite impressed with them actually. I expected a lot worse. Remember when ISS was first out and when Pro Evolution came along as well? The graphics were no where near as good as Fifa but the gameplay was ten times better. The fact is you cant look at pictures of a game and judge it on that alone. All for we know the gameplay could be great.

Either way good or bad I cant wit for it to come out. I have never looked forward to the release if a game as much as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The graphics more than likely will be toned down a bit, I'm expecting EA rugby standards or thereabouts. I hope the game does well though, but I can't see it being very playable.

Anyone know what platforms it's coming out on?

Only on PlayStation 2.

Lads, why do ye think its going to be a crap game because the graphics dont like great? First of all the graphics dont look bad, I'm quite impressed with them actually. I expected a lot worse. Remember when ISS was first out and when Pro Evolution came along as well? The graphics were no where near as good as Fifa but the gameplay was ten times better. The fact is you cant look at pictures of a game and judge it on that alone. All for we know the gameplay could be great.

Either way good or bad I cant wit for it to come out. I have never looked forward to the release if a game as much as this one.
    You've hit the nail on the head here.
    Graphics always "look" great, and do a lot for media hype.
    Remember Max Payne? Great looking... Matrix style cameras.... but it was hopeless to play!!
    THe same could be said for "The Getaway" series.... way too much hype on looks and playability was rubbish.
    If the gameplay / playability fails (no matter what the graphics look like).... the game is doomed.
    Anyone who's played games for years on C64 / Spectrums / Amigas etc... knows only too well how important gameplay is... we sure didnt play for graphics back then :D
    Just look at the success of Tetris, Snake, Worms, Sim City, the sims... lots of games where playability ranks far higher over graphics.

If this game provides the thrills and spills of letting you beat your mates county in the all Ireland... and letting you enjoy playing it over and over, it's a winner.... and I think that's going to be the way its heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

monument wrote:
    Only on PlayStation 2.

Yarr. :(

Wouldn't have got it anyway.

Advertisement