Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer desks

• 27-10-2005 2:14am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a computer desk and the only quick options that pop up for me are argos or buy4now. There is a desk on each i like but both have their problems.

Where did you get your computer desk and is there anywhere in dublin you would recommend to get one.

Need something without keyboard rollout, nice sized surface (w140cm, d60cm, and h70, these are approximate). Also must have drawers and at least one press as its in a sitting room and i need to hide stuff away.

I put this in here as i feel computer minded people might relate to my needs and help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

In previous threads on this, viking direct were mentioned a lot. Nothing there grabbed my fancy, but I'm a picky git when it comes to my desk. ;)

Edit: Harvey Normans also do ok desks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Atlantic Homecare have a decent selection of computer desks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Got mine at bizquip in Sandyford Industrial Estate, they have a nice showroom there as well.

Nice big L shape desk, fits 2 mons/printer/scanner/keyboard/mouse and has plenty room to spare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm limited length and dept wise. Forgot about viking direct. Will give them a look. At the moment i'm leaning towards atlantic homecare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I got a nice desk from Protea Pine at the Walkinstown roundabout.

I'm not sure of the dimensions right at the moment but the dimensions in your post would probably be about it give or take a little bit in the width/height.
    Its got the keyboard rollout and a scanner one too, 3 drawers room for the tower. They threw in a thingy to raise the height of the printer so that you could use the space underneath.

Its a sturdy fecker too the surface is about an inch and a half thick and smelt nice when it was bought.

That post is coming dangerously close to an ad for Protea pine:confused: ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

TomTom wrote:
    I'm limited length and dept wise.

*giggle*

ahem. http://www.vikingdirect.ie perhaps? (Nothing there takes my fancy,personally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Also check out PC World. Bought mine in Atlantic Homecare2 yrs ago. Fantastic desk but it's long gone now. Still worth a look though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Do harvey Norman stock desks? I can't seem to find anything site for their irish stores online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Try build your own if ya have the time... The wood will cost ya 50tops... then sliders etc... €20... Cheaper than to buy it. You'll be able to build to your own specs and you'll get some satisfaction from it....

Though if ya don't have the time... wouldn't go for atlantic... it'll feel and act cheap. Go for a nice solid desk. It'll last longer and serve ya better.

Archytas wrote:
    wouldn't go for atlantic... it'll feel and act cheap. Go for a nice solid desk. It'll last longer and serve ya better.

I got my desk from Atlantic - it's a good solid desk - no problems with it. They do sell some crap as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

astrofool wrote:
    Got mine at bizquip in Sandyford Industrial Estate, they have a nice showroom there as well.

Nice big L shape desk, fits 2 mons/printer/scanner/keyboard/mouse and has plenty room to spare.

Im looking for one of these Desk's. How much did you pay for the L-Shaped Desk ? Any pic's ? Looking for one for me Main PC.

Hj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

avoid the ETA (easy to assemble) brand at atlantic homecare, they are cheap mdf products that are badly finished and 'feel' cheap (found this out to my detriment this week).

correct - avoid mdf on general principle anyway. The one I got is Rosewood and it's solid as a ... good desk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was limited for space when i got mine so went with one from the Argos book
    Made of metal and took 20mins to assemble , Its called a 'Z' desk
    hold a moderately sized tower and comfortably hold my 19'' tft sub woofer and front speakers. It has 2 pull outs one for Keyboard and the other under neath for stationary. Also has space fro cd/dvd and a printer.

Price €60 i think,

Grey metal finish looks cool with black computer stuff on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Arnotts do some nice quality computer desks. Bought me mam one there the other day and i'm very impressed with it. Only thing is it's all glass so maybe not the most suitable for a living room as all the wires and what not are displayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Personally I prefer a good old solid (non-"computer") desk.
    Made-for-PC desks seem so awkward and wobbly... I don't think I've seen one yet that fits the bill... and I absolutely hate the way they dictate how I should arrange my hardware.
    Just head to a car-boot sale instead, pick up a nice old writing desk... you'll save a fortune and have a nice classy looking desk made of real wood instead of some flimsy, wobbly, plastic looking thing.

Although I do like the sound of that glass desk RuggieBear... but would it not pick up reflections from the monitor and be a bit distracting?
    Got any links to this desk btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Personally I prefer a good old solid (non-"computer") desk.
    Made-for-PC desks seem so awkward and wobbly... I don't think I've seen one yet that fits the bill... and I absolutely hate the way they dictate how I should arrange my hardware.
    Just head to a car-boot sale instead, pick up a nice old writing desk... you'll save a fortune and have a nice classy looking desk made of real wood instead of some flimsy, wobbly, plastic looking thing.

Although I do like the sound of that glass desk RuggieBear... but would it not pick up reflections from the monitor and be a bit distracting?
    Got any links to this desk btw?

nope, can't find pictures but i got it in the arnotts bargain shop. Heavy bastard too. Looks quality though and only cost 62 euro with delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

dsc011350014pt.th.jpg

dsc011370014zy.th.jpg

dsc011470011dv.th.jpg

dsc011620018ft.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

For my new computer setup, we bought a glass-topped desk from Bargain Town and so far its been perfect; and thats saying alot from me... I hardly ever like furniture, I eventually get bored with it or find problems. The desk was quite good value too at only €99.

I wouldnt bother with viking direct; they're great for office stuff, but they have a limited (and expensive) range. I would recommend the following, in order:

1) Bargain Town
    2) Atlantic Homecare
    3) Woodies

I did buy a really nice wooden desk a while back for approx £350 (before the euro changover), and although it was great for the time, wooden desks cost alot more and arent as interchangable as diy-metal framed desks (also they're a chore to move about without breaking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

HungryJoey wrote:
    Im looking for one of these Desk's. How much did you pay for the L-Shaped Desk ? Any pic's ? Looking for one for me Main PC.

Hj

Attached a few pics, it cost about €600 with side pedastal which has a filing drawer in the bottom.

Comes in a few pieces, and very easy to assemble, and to take apart if needed, only about 10 screws in the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 foranyxcus

I'm surprised you got anything from Protea Pine - I had to sue them to get my money back when they refused to deliver furniture I had paid for. Took me almost 2 years and 2 dates in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Why not try Gumtree,ie and go to .."Freebies" You may find what you are looking for and for (free) also try Dublin waste .ie...computer desks come up almost every day on both sites. But be quick as they are snapped up pronto.

Good hunting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ah I think 2005 wants its thread back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nothing beats home built. Its massive yet always full of junk:rolleyes:

Holy zombies batman

Advertisement