Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT rolling out new network in the republic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sounds like they have had enough of Eircom's LLU charades which can only be good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nice one.

i wonder what their definition of 'quickly' is?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good news if it happens, though I wonder how much of the country they would intend covering.

If it was nationwide, it would be good, though I'll believe it when I see it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No technical information though. There's some on 21CN in the UK here, but they already have a complete end-to-end network in the UK, including (I would imagine) the largest fibre network. How do they propose to roll out 21CN in Ireland I wonder?

EDIT: Nothing on the BT Ireland website about it, obviously. The media section hasn't been updated since August. I'd love to meet the genius that runs their marketing: They attack a schmoe like me over a website that no-one knows about, yet they can't publish their own press releases.

EDIT2: Just to clarify, yes, of course they can roll out multiple services over MPLS on their fibre, but since they've only unbundled a couple of thousand lines in Ireland, who exactly are they going to deliver it to? Surely it can't run over bitstream services?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The million dollar question is if BT Ireland will offer 21CN based services to resedential customers. If they provide products along the lines of what Smart is doing then it will be a real step forward in Irish telecommunications, as BT have far more exchanges served with their fibre optic than Smart have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me this will only be exciting if it is truly a nationwide rollout and not something like selected parts of Dublin, a few country towns and a part of cork... enough of that, we need proper nationwide rollout to the majority of exchanges in the country were eircom already have their equipment to really make a difference...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will not be Nationwide , the only serious bit of fibre they have that supports MPLS runs Dublin - Athlone - Galway - Shannon - Limerick - Dublin , if you are along that route and are near a MAN too then there is hope for you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The article is obviously very vague, but best case I wouldn't worry about what's currently available. You never know, but they might be rolling out nationwide-ish fibre as part of the plan. We're talking 2010 or something so I wouldn't get too excited about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Just sounds like they plan to link up more fibre nothing amazing there its not like they plan to build their own last mile. Im more interested in what he means by the doom and gloom outlook that theres not enough uptake of bb its not like theres a massive choice for most of the country and the prices and packages are not exactly on par with the rest of europe to be comparing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BT’s construction of a new global internet protocol network – dubbed by the company as ‘21CN’ (21st Century Network) – will cost £13bn up to 2010, making it one of the largest and most expensive network installation/upgrade projects taking place in the world today.

Don't suppose there's theres any chance of them spending a few bob to upgrade their billing department anytime soon? think of all the money they would save on employing those debt collectors to chase non existent debts!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Kristok wrote:
    Just sounds like they plan to link up more fibre
    It's more than that, they intend running multiple services over the fibre using MPLS. However they can only actually deliver them to people on their own core network, i.e, leased line customers and the couple thousand LLU customers they have atm. In which case, who gives a crap?

Or, as I put it to a journo earlier: “Or are they just going to roll it out to business and screw consumers yet again? And if that's the case, just why should consumers go with BTI at all?”

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sounds exactly like their SDSL rollout in the past year there Kenny Boy !!!! BT SDSL in Ireland is SooOOOOOOO expensive they wont even publish the prices on their website :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think you guys are stuck in the now. By the time this thing gets deployed, you never know but LLU might be working and/or Eircom will offer a bitstream services that make it possible to deliver various multimedia services to residential customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ken Shabby wrote:
    No technical information though.
    Adam, you've got to remember that if technical information was included, the "technology" journalists wouldn't understand it. :)

Regards...jmcc
    /me - heads off to the shop to buy the Irish Times to read the latest product pimping and clueless commentary in the Sociology In Business section.
    (yeah right! :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I tihnk the title should be "BT rolling out new architecture in Ireland" - they will replace the SDH gear, voice switches etc with the new gear from Ericssons etc and use Huawei for access in exchanges they have unbundled.

21CN is architecture, not an actual access network :)

Advertisement