Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire have updated their website

• 27-10-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

I noticed yesterday that Clearwire have updated their website. I was upset to see that they are offering new subscriptions a special deal of €30 instead of €50 for the first 6 months [2Mb]. All of us "Beta Testers" are fogotten about.

For such a good company, it just feels like a kick in the face. At least I still have a descent connection. Can't quibble too much, I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

So is the clearwire service good? Is there ever any interuptions? The reason I ask is Im thinking of moving to them, and Im going to VOip for my calls and get rid if my landline.

I've been onto them and they are certinally keen.

Anyone had any problems?

Thanks

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I use VoIP every day, for about 4 hours each day for work. I generally don't have problems. SOMETIMES I get the odd dropped packet or maybe ONE call will have bad quality, but in general I am very happy with the service.

I think I've had one outage in the time I've been with them but during their testing phase when they were doing stuff to the high site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

What is their web site so I can go have a look. Im sick of IBB anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

I was upset to see that they are offering new subscriptions a special deal of €30 instead of €50 for the first 6 months [2Mb]. All of us "Beta Testers" are fogotten about.
    Is this the case? Emailed someone in Clearwire about this just now. If they're reducing costs for new customers to €30 for the first 6 months, then surely their initial customers should also be looked after. Or are they money hungry, like some other wireless providers, and looking for a load of new people to sign up so they can hammer their network?!!
    Happy enough myself with the conncetion thus far, bar a minor outage one day, and being offline for a few hours. Speeds go up and down a bit, but they're generally quite good. Hope this doesn't change too much with all these new fancy offers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

I see they have a student deal. Im gonna take credit for that, I suggested that in email to a number of companies. Glad one of them took it up!

• Advertisement

What is their web site so I can go have a look. Im sick of IBB anyway.

www.clearwire.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone got pings?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I see their contract terms is 24 months, if you want just a 12 month contract, it's an additional €39 fee!

The student package seems pretty good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

It's not available in Tallaght yet. :(
    Unfortunately, your address is not currently covered by Clearwire. Please complete the form below, including the address where you would like to obtain Clearwire service and a Clearwire representative will contact you when service is available

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Or Cork. I'd take this in the blink of an eye if it was available in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i see im on the boarder line even if i wanted it, btw do you have to do the same as ripwave, position it at a window or will it work off the desk?
    just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No you can use it anywhere. You can hook the modem up to your cig charger in the car and have broadband anywhere within their coverage map which is sweet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

byte wrote:
    I see their contract terms is 24 months, if you want just a 12 month contract, it's an additional €39 fee!

The student package seems pretty good though

With contracts with the dsl providers now at last getting shorter a minimum contract of 24 months is absolutely ludicrous and should be reason enough not to sign up with any Company that would look for it. Reading the terms and conditions would suggest that at the end of any contract period it automatically renews for a further 12 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Again that should be resisted strongly - afaik with most companies once you complete your initial minimum period there is a months notice required to quit - be warned about this crowd!!!!!!!!
    23. Termination/Early Termination Fee. You shall maintain Service for the duration of any minimum Initial Term (as set forth on the Order Form). After any Initial Term, Service will automatically renew for additional consecutive one-year periods, unless terminated as provided in these Terms. You may terminate the Service at the end of the Initial Term or at the end of any renewal term, by contacting Clearwire’s Customer Care department as set forth at www.clearwire.ie and giving notice of termination at least sixty (60) days in advance of the next scheduled renewal date. If you terminate your Service for any reason or your Service is terminated by Clearwire for any violation of the Agreement prior to the end of the Initial Term, you will be liable for an early termination fee of $250, or such other early termination fee as may be specified on your Order Form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Haha, $250. Quality.

Those are pretty diabolical T&C's. Automatic 12 month renewal is crap. Well spotted.

Hmmm, I have to say, I didn't spot that in my T's & C's. But I didn't really have much of a choice but to go with them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Rang up Clearwire about the T&C's and new offer. T&C's are a misprint, and they have changed their t&c's now. Goes into a standard monthly rolling contract. Also, all us original customers are getting the discounted 6 months also. Yay!

Yes, I got confirmation on that today too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Anyone got any idea what the contention ratios are on their various products?

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Mr_Man wrote:
    Anyone got any idea what the contention ratios are on their various products?

M.

According to sales on ClearPerformer it's 1:10 .

antodeco wrote:
    Rang up Clearwire about the T&C's and new offer. T&C's are a misprint, and they have changed their t&c's now. Goes into a standard monthly rolling contract. Also, all us original customers are getting the discounted 6 months also. Yay!

Misprint?:eek: that paragraph must quality as one of the longest and most deliberate 'misprints' in history!!!!:rolleyes: They must think people are idiots. The terms and conditions are still on the site with no corrections. they are still looking for a minimum of two years on their sign up so anyone purchasing as of now has no comeback whatsoever!!!!!

Be very wary and if you are signing up make sure and get a printed and dated copy of the so called revised Terms and Conditions without any 'misprints':mad:

See para 23 http://www.clearwire.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=151_163

Now you would think that anything as important as minimum periods renewal etc would figure much earlier in the document so forgive me for thinking that maybe they do not want customers to notice this very long 'misprint'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you look at 23 as "dub45" suggests you may notice that the figures are in $. A quick look at the T&C on the US site shows you that they copied over most of their T&C and changed US to Ireland and .com to .ie.

I think the T&C are work in progress sort of speak, not very professional.

If you look through them you notice that they actualy can request a credit report about you and report your payments (or non) to a credit reference agency.

Or if you look further you see that they have the right to block certain services (like in the US they stopped SIP ports for VOIP) and so on.

But we live in a free country where nobody forces you to accept what somebody is offering you. If you don't like it than don't sign it.

If you rather pay EirCom for crappy service forcing you to have a landline you don't use otherwise accepting their way more complicated T&C's than that's up to.

I for one am happy because even if I have to give 60 days notice before my contract ends, I am saving money because even with an entry free offset by the 6 month discount I have a better service than with EirCom.

Now if they would charge me the same as they do in Belgium or Denmark, hey that would be nice, but Ireland is always a little bit more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think that clearwire offer a good service to the areas that they do cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Looks more expensive in Denmark and cheaper in Belgium. A 3Mbps service available in Belgium for €38.99pm. That's the kind of prices they will need to charge here too to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Europe has always been at a higher scale in broadband terms.
    I think that magnets 4Mbit with phone and tv for €82 is decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

They still do not have any coverage maps....

I'm waiting on Glenageary to be covered i got a email about two weeks ago they performing test on the area and the mast.

So hopefully it should be any day now that i can get it.

If you look at 23 as "dub45" suggests you may notice that the figures are in $. A quick look at the T&C on the US site shows you that they copied over most of their T&C and changed US to Ireland and .com to .ie.

I think the T&C are work in progress sort of speak, not very professional.

If you look through them you notice that they actualy can request a credit report about you and report your payments (or non) to a credit reference agency.

Or if you look further you see that they have the right to block certain services (like in the US they stopped SIP ports for VOIP) and so on.

But we live in a free country where nobody forces you to accept what somebody is offering you. If you don't like it than don't sign it.

If you rather pay EirCom for crappy service forcing you to have a landline you don't use otherwise accepting their way more complicated T&C's than that's up to.

I for one am happy because even if I have to give 60 days notice before my contract ends, I am saving money because even with an entry free offset by the 6 month discount I have a better service than with EirCom.

Now if they would charge me the same as they do in Belgium or Denmark, hey that would be nice, but Ireland is always a little bit more expensive.

You cannot have DSL BB without a telephone line - as you say yourself we live in a free country so how are Eircom forcing anyone to have a landline?

Eircom give a very consistent bb service - they may be expensive but there are very few complaints on boards about the actual service that they provide.

Two years in bb terms is an eternity - similarly requiring two months notice of quitting is out of line with all of the other isps afaik. If Eircom tried to do something like that there would be an outcry.

So copying over American t&c's can be described as a misprint? Surely a reputable company will make sure its terms and conditions are correct from the start?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

im sure they probably have to check their t&c's legally first before changing them. Im happy to use clearwire. Email alan.ryan@clearwire.ie for more information. Signed up with him, told me to refer others to him, im sure he'd be happy with the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Couple of questions on Clearwire:

Can someone link me to this student deal somewhere? I cant find it on their site.

How does this service work for Online gaming? I play EVE and WoW and need a service to play them. My college has wireless but blocks all the ports.

They have offered me the service in Blackrock but does anyone know of the signal strength and quality of service?

I havent phoned them yet, which I plan to do once I finish class.

antodeco wrote:
    im sure they probably have to check their t&c's legally first before changing them. Im happy to use clearwire. Email alan.ryan@clearwire.ie for more information. Signed up with him, told me to refer others to him, im sure he'd be happy with the business

What makes you state that? It is up to them to make sure their terms and conditions are correct so who would they have to check them with legally?

A reputable firm will have 'proper' terms and conditions and as if to illustrate why potential customers should be dubious of this crowd the so called misprint is still up so if you sign up now you are signing a contract that will automatically renew for a further 12 monthsunless you give sixty days notice of termination!
    You shall maintain Service for the duration of any minimum Initial Term (as set forth on the Order Form). After any Initial Term, Service will automatically renew for additional consecutive one-year periods, unless terminated as provided in these Terms. You may terminate the Service at the end of the Initial Term or at the end of any renewal term, by contacting Clearwire’s Customer Care department as set forth at www.clearwire.ie and giving notice of termination at least sixty (60) days in advance of the next scheduled renewal date. If you terminate your Service for any reason or your Service is terminated by Clearwire for any violation of the Agreement prior to the end of the Initial Term, you will be liable for an early termination fee of $250, or such other early termination fee as may be specified on your Order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I signed up today should have it in the next three days or so.

Bye bye ibb

Advertisement