Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire have updated their website

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

I see they have a student deal. Im gonna take credit for that, I suggested that in email to a number of companies. Glad one of them took it up!

I rang the guys at Clearwire and asked about the student deal, and they didnt seem to know much about it. Said he would ring back tomorrow about it.

Anyone know where I can get details on this? I really want this service if it is any use for gaming on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b3n

Not available in Swords yet either :-\

Does anyone know if they will be offering to people renting and in ground floor apartments?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

@ dub45 - Do you work for IBB marketting by any chance? You're not a legal expert (that much is quite apparent) and you're also obviously not using Clearwire. I'd suggest you leave it to those of us with actual experience dealing with the company and product to report our findings. Everyone's got an opinion etc.....Read through *ANY* T&C's and you'll find something you won't like. It's the nature of the modern and dynamic business beast.

@ b3n - Yep - I'm renting and was running my Clearwire on the ground floor in an area which suffers from very poor radio reception in general and it worked fine. I'm very happy with the service and when I moved it upstairs (1st floor bedroom window got 5 x 5 (100% for those who've never seen Smokie and the Bandit ;) ) signal quality.

Unfortunately for you, they're only covering south east Dublin at the moment so you'll probably have to wait. For those of you interested in gaming, a mate has been using the 2mb package for a few weeks and is VERY happy with the latency - He's reporting sub 40 stats constantly.

To the doubters I'd suggest we all remember that this is a company who are trying to get it right first time and keep it that way. I'm not saying they're dealing with everything that crops up in what one might consider to be a 'professional' manner but they're better than the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They cover a lot more than just south east Dublin: http://www.clearwire.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=117_173. Including Swords.

I incidently appreciate that Dub45 has pointed out the issues with their T&C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Yes indeed - The coverage is much better - Last time I checked (which was only out of a passing interest) Swords wasn't listed. Might be worth checking your address using the coverage lookup they've provided.

I don't like T&C's in any case - What I'm saying is that they come with the territory. If you're not a pi55-taker then nobody should have to worry about the T&C's - It's all standard ISP bumph and the reality is that although you might accept them you're entitled to more than they might suggest through consumer protection legislation here in Ireland anyway.

Clearwire could end up going arseways in a years time but I'm really hoping they keep their noses clean and provide the service I'm getting at the moment. Yes it might look like they're trying to tie people in to their service. Yes it might look 'expensive'. But as far as I'm concerned if they provide a good quality service then I'll be sticking with them - The 12 month minimum won't be a concern at all. If they screw up, legislation protects me from their T&C's. Believe me, I've been through this with IBB and it's lead to a small claims court process......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gil_Dub wrote:
    @ dub45 - Do you work for IBB marketting by any chance? You're not a legal expert (that much is quite apparent) and you're also obviously not using Clearwire. I'd suggest you leave it to those of us with actual experience dealing with the company and product to report our findings. Everyone's got an opinion etc.....Read through *ANY* T&C's and you'll find something you won't like. It's the nature of the modern and dynamic business beast......................

I certainly dont work for IBB. And I am not a legal expert the points I make have nothing got to do with being a legal expert however I am concerned at the terms and conditions that BB companies offer their customers.

Often people especially newcomers sign up for contracts without ever reading the terms and conditions and the chickens come home to roost when they find they have to leave a company before their initial term is up. We should be seeking as a general principal that contracts are as short as possible allowing for the fact that companies are entitled to recoup some of their investment.

For any company to describe something so important in their terms and conditions as a misprint beggars belief. For any company to have the initial sign up default period on their application form as a two year one and to expect people to accept a further automatic sign up period of a year (unless a sixty day period notice is given) to me is highly questionable and I think as many people as possible should be made aware of this.

Why are you so concerned about people's attention been drawn to this?

And remember you cannot report your findings on the particular aspects of the terms and conditions that I am pointing out until it is time for you to terminate your contract with them!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Whoops double post there. Thanks for the gaming advice.

Talking to Clearwire today they said that their terms and conditions are 12months then 1 month rolling. Whether this is reflected in the terms and conditions yet is another matter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

]
    DamoVOTF wrote:
    Whoops double post there. Thanks for the gaming advice.

Talking to Clearwire today they said that their terms and conditions are 12months then 1 month rolling. Whether this is reflected in the terms and conditions yet is another matter.

I will give you one guess!!!! Now wouldnt you think that they would be very anxious to clear up this 'misprint'? Verbal terms and conditions over riding written terms and conditions? that has to be a new one:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Considering ordering clearwire today as I cant get any other provider currently other than satellite. One question though...what if I break dnt 10G or 20G limit per month? Does anyone know their changes for this as I cant see it on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 O in

The clearwire website tells me there is only reception available above the ground floor at my address but i live in a bungalow. Does anyone know if i can put the modem in my attic or does it need a room with a window to pick up anythin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

dont worry i wouldnt take much notice of the ground floor.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

O in wrote:
    The clearwire website tells me there is only reception available above the ground floor at my address but i live in a bungalow. Does anyone know if i can put the modem in my attic or does it need a room with a window to pick up anythin?

For me they said, I had no coverage at all but he came out, found a strong signal (4 of 5) on the 1st floor and a good signal (2 of 5) on the ground floor.

If you need you can put it in the attic or a room with a window looking toward the mast. And if that is the case, they have something called "ClearPlugs" which means the signal is than transported from the modem via your power cables in the house to where ever you need to LAN port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

So what is the verdict on Clearwire?? I'm hoping they're good I'm out of options, can anyone recommend them or are they muck?

Advertisement