Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB: Cancel your Direct Debit

• 27-10-2005 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

That's my advice to anyone experiencing sub dialup speed problems with the IBB service. I've just spoken to a nice CSR after spending the obligatory 45 minutes on hold who said "I imagine it will be fixed in the next month" - no point in paying for a non existant service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you don't want IBB, why not just cancel the service? I'd imagine if you stop the direct debit in this way they would probably cut you off anyway, so might as well cancel and tell them to stick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's not that simple - if you're in the initial 12 month contract and cancel they charge you something like €150 for the de-installation. No point in forking out the money for more than three months worth of service to have their kit removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Talisman wrote:
    It's not that simple - if you're in the initial 12 month contract and cancel they charge you something like €150 for the de-installation. No point in forking out the money for more than three months worth of service to have their kit removed.
    Just tell them to get lost, that they're in breach of contract and you'll sue (small claims court) to get your monthly subscriptions back.

If you cancel the DD, they may decide to send in debt collectors. Then you've two companies to deal with.

Then, if you can cancel (your account with them, not the dd) without being charged €150, go to the small claims court and try to get your monthly subs back anyway.

You really don't want a good credit rating do you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

Any ideas how to cancel credit card payments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I got an IBB installation this morning. I asked yer man to check the line after putting it in. It was downloading at 16kb a second off a 1mb line. I got him to take it straight back out again. Just rang eircom and ordered a PROPER BB service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Simply cancel your existing Credit Card with your bank, get a new one and don't give them the new details!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

Cancelled my direct debit with them 2 months ago. they sent me 2 letters saying ill be cut off, then the next threatening me with debt collectors. they can get stuffed. i put up with them for 9 months, they aint getting another penny from me. credit rating be damned, if they come to my door looking for money from me, ill take them to small claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Cancel your DD & let them go to hell. If they treathen you with debt collectors send they a solicitors letter stating they are in breach of contract by not providing the service they sold you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Problem is lads thay are not in breech of contract. It says in the small print something about they are not responsiable for it going down.

• Advertisement

Problem is lads thay are not in breech of contract. It says in the small print something about they are not responsiable for it going down.

I couldent edit my las post so im sticking this in here to show what the contract says.

Quote:
    18.12 Irish Broadband Internet service is provided on an ‘as is, as
    available” basis. Subscribers release Irish Broadband from and
    Irish Broadband shall have no liability or responsibility for any
    direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages suffered
    by any Subscriber in connection with their use of or inability to
    use the Irish Broadband services including, but not limited to,
    damages from loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries,
    mis-deliveries, or service interruptions, or due to inadvertent
    release or disclosure of information sent by them even if the
    same is caused by Irish Broadband’s own negligence. Irish
    Broadband specifically disclaims any responsibility for the
    accuracy or quality of information obtained through its Service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Firstly- they can put whatever they want into a contract. Doesn't mean the court would enforce it. From what i've heard the sevice is an absolute piss take. In that case, sale of goods and supply of service act applies. I think the general gist of that is you can't provide a rubbish service.

Secondly, you're not looking for damages, as a customer you'd be looking for a refund.

Also: really, don't just cancel the dd, could lead to untold problems with your credit rating, harass them into getting your out of your 1 year deal without paying the €150 installation charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act could take precedence (and IMO would in this case). The service sold is clearly not as described (an always on high speed internet connection).

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I got a 3 meg line on Monday off them. I have infomed them of the 7 day cooling off pieriod and that I am not happy with the sub 56k modem speeds. Seeing as I am unable to get through to their support lines, (30min on hold I just give up each time) I just ring the girl in sales who I was talking to. She her-self has agreed they are in breach of their contract.

The Quote above is for service interuptions. However the sub 56k speeds are a breach of the minium Service they provide. I beleave they have some thing where a 1 meg line should get ISDN speeds min and 1mb max and so on.

She has agreed to the Terms that if it is not fixed by monday they will be removing the equipment. She has also logged a call with the support desk there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

I refused to put up with a sub-standard service from these jokers. I kept the pressure on by emailing screenshots as proof of such a dismal service. Eventually after a month they agreed to cancel my account, within a few days the equipment was removed.

PS.... I was never asked to pay 150 de-installation fee.

They new better because they would have been told to f*"k off. They new that I was severely pissed off because as each mail was sent I took the level of hatred up a notch each time. Its the only way to deal with such a ****e company.

Now with Eircom, happy to be using such a reliable service.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I couldent edit my las post so im sticking this in here to show what the contract says.

Quote:
    18.12 Irish Broadband Internet service is provided on an ‘as is, as
    available” basis. Subscribers release Irish Broadband from and
    Irish Broadband shall have no liability or responsibility for any
    direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages suffered
    by any Subscriber in connection with their use of or inability to
    use the Irish Broadband services including, but not limited to,
    damages from loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries,
    mis-deliveries, or service interruptions, or due to inadvertent
    release or disclosure of information sent by them even if the
    same is caused by Irish Broadband’s own negligence. Irish
    Broadband specifically disclaims any responsibility for the
    accuracy or quality of information obtained through its Service.

Those T&Ms are whats refered to as liability limitation. In other words you can not claim IBB for loss of business etc becaule of loss of service. But thier service is crap all the time so as stated above the supply of services act applies.Don,t be bullied by them,cancel the DD & let them make the next move.My guess is they will leave it at that.They are getting enough bad publicity at the moment,the last thing they want is to be going to court.

Yeah ive seen other companies drop bigger debts that 48 yoyos cause they dident want all the messing about that goes with reclaiming debts.

Advertisement