Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potterton Suprima 50 PCB

• 27-10-2005 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Folks,

My boiler has started to go into "lockout" mode, i.e. the red light is coming on. A reset of the system at the mains resets this. Having googled it it seems the most common fault it dry joints on the PCB, So, the next question where do i buy a good soldering Iron and is there anywhere I can get a circuit diagram and some pictures of what a dry joint looks like and what it should look like when soldered properly?

Thanks in advance

-Roy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Give Potterton Myson a ring. They're based in Tallaght on the Belgard Road. (01) 459 0870

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to pick up a soldering iron in any decent hardware store.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can usually spot a dry joint by the dull grey colour of the solder. A good joint will be shiny and bright. A dry joint will "crack" and the wire going through it will make intermittent contact. In extreme cases, the wire or lead going into the PCB will actually be loose and you'll be able to wiggle it around with your finger.

If you're going to repair something like this, IMO you're better off completely unsoldering the old joint and resoldering it. Best thing for that is a "solder sucker" but you can also use desoldering braid.

See http://www.epemag.com/solderfaq/default.htm for some soldering / desoldering tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

The PCB may be not be at fault. I would strongly suggest that you get the wiring checked out (to the boiler).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Xtrac ,

Have you recently services your boiler ? in my experience with mine and my parents burner unit it that when the bolier goes into lock out it is either because of dirty fuel or some fire brick has broke off and is prevented the injector nozzle from ingiting corectly - hovering usually eliminates the problem unless the fire brick needs to be replaced . Also check that your water pump is circulating once the bolier comes on as the heated water might not be leaving your burner hence its going in to lockout !! hope this may help !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭xtrac

Yep, had a BG service engineer out, and he said it needs a new PCB, at a cost of 290 + fitting, i think i'll try resoldering it first! :D

Thanks for all the replies

-Roy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sean creaney

Why are Potterton allowed to get away with putting such a troublesome boiler on the market - it has been declared not fit for purpose in UK so why do we in Ireland have to put up with continuous problems and costs of repairs?
    The minute you mention the boilertype the serviceman throws his eyes to heaven - he has seen so much of it?

I think I am going to take Petterton to the Small Claims Court
    I have sent them a couple of emails but no reply.

Sean C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Xtrac

are you RGII covered???

It not your breaking the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sean creaney

what law am i breaking - sorry I have nothing to do with RGII
    Just askinghow Potterton can get away with foisting such a useless heap on Irish Market?
    Sean C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Xtrac

are you RGII covered???

It not your breaking the law!

Dont worry it wont work. Have been selling those boilers years. Only a new pcb will do it. But yes i agree he is breaking the law and nulling his house insurence.

what law am i breaking - sorry I have nothing to do with RGII
    Just askinghow Potterton can get away with foisting such a useless heap on Irish Market?
    Sean C

Your new to the forum i dont think he was talking to you. Best of luck with the small claims court. You wont get anywhere but feel free to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

This is a six year old thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jimmy 2

pcb gone in mine 430 euro quoted to fix it anyone no cheaper way to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

jimmy 2 wrote: »
    pcb gone in mine 430 euro quoted to fix it anyone no cheaper way to fix
    When mine wet I got a refurbished one on eBay for 45 stg with 15 cashback when i sent him the dud one. Loook for compumerv

Advertisement