Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X3 Reunion. Anyone Played?

Options
  • 27-10-2005 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Wanna know if anyone has managed to play this? Loved X2 so much once I got past the mind numbing grind that was the first section of the game.

Can't seem to find any reviews online about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't think it's actually out til next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I just hope it doesn't have StarForce again, which is the only reason I didn't get X2. It looked pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Play seem to have it for sale now unless I read it incorrectly.

I also have 3 games running on starforce. Never had an issue with it.

X2 was pretty but was very very rough in places. Combat was very difficult to get used to but once you passed the drudgery that was the start and got factories up and running and the money starting pouring in and then you start making factory loops where you get to be almost self sufficient it was brill. I barely even followed the story line. Just hope X3 doesn't kill my system like I reckon it will.

Thinking about it I'm gonna reinstall X2 when I get home and fire up the old save games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i loved and hated X2...

I loved the freedom and how the universe worked.

But i hated how long it took for anything.

I remember having to leave my computer running overnight with the time compression on full to actually earn some decent money...dont think i ever got the hang of the whole trading thing...course it was my first time.

Never had a problem with the combat...though i regret never getting a battleship :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Out tomorrow apparently. I'm looking forward to playing it, but the fact that patch 1.2 (whatever about 1.1?!) is going to be released soon doesn't bode well...

• Advertisement

The real problem with X2 was they got their economics all messed up. Most of it goes over my head but essentially you were supposed to aim at making factories that produced high end equipment like lasers etc etc.

Problem was the turn over of the high end factories and the demand for the products was so low that the economic pyramid was infact flipped around. You earned more money, much more money in fact and much quicker by developing only solar cell factories, ie what should have been first and least important thing. Anyway it's a difficult thing to get perfectly right.

It's relatively easy to create a false economic situation where a player trades in goods. It's an entirely different matter to create one where the player also gets the chance to manufacture goods and saturate the market with stuff. Hence the patches I guess. Anyway as a result there was nothing to aspire to in X2. You would only end up loosing money by buying the bigger factories.

@ Blitzkrieg, I cheated a bit insofar as I looked on the internet at where best to put Solar Cell factories. You put them in the right place with high demand and you rake the money in. I also went through 5 install uninstall phases until I actually got what I was doing.

Actually my BIGGEST complaint with X2 was the fact that the Kraak were practically in every system even tho story wise they weren't supposed to be which ruined the game imo PLUS pirates never did anything piratey.

I'm looking forward to X3 the more I think of it. Just as long as they improve the learning curve/first 30 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i wont buy it unless a rolling demo comes out x2 was a system hog x3 looks even worse for that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The economy in X3 is meant to be completely dynamic, according to IGNs preview
    In a nutshell, you can cripple one sector of the market, sell your own product in its place, pirate off the people you sell to while expanding into other markets and eventually become the single dominant force in the known universe. Because each local economy is tied to a greater economy that features working trade routes, fluctuating prices and valuable resources, it's actually possible to strategically attack specific areas of the market, making yourself a corporate dynamo.

I wonder who the publisher is, Microsoft maybe ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah the economy was pretty screwed up in X2 alright, and it was just such a pain in the ass to set up a factory along with its supply lines etc - I ended up just wanting to blow stuff up!

I saw X3 in Game Dawson St this morning, so it's definitely out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I bought a copy this morning in gamestop. It sure is a system hog - I think my system is reasonably up to date (6800GT, P4 3.2, 1GB RAM) but the frame rates are far from smooth, even at 1024x768. Maybe the patch will sort things out - patch 1.3 (!!) is on the cards for mid-November.
    (EDIT: According to posts on egosofts forum patch 1.2 will sort out frame rate issues. I'll post an update later when I get my hands on it - on dial up atm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I got it today too. I started installing it at 7:15 and its just finished now - three hours later!! I mean, what game seriously takes 3 hours to install!?!? And now it would appear I have to go and download a patch. Its also a bit worrying that there are no reviews online yet...:confused:

Branoic wrote:
    I got it today too. I started installing it at 7:15 and its just finished now - three hours later!! I mean, what game seriously takes 3 hours to install!?!? And now it would appear I have to go and download a patch. Its also a bit worrying that there are no reviews online yet...:confused:

Are you sure it's just not your computer. No game takes three hours to install. You sure you have DMA enabled on your drives?

Unless someone else says they had the same problem I reckon something is a little screwy with your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

theres a few topics on the offical forum bitching about long install times i didnt click on them though

Advertisement