Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 Passats,which one will i buy?

Options
  • 27-10-2005 12:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for a new thread but i need some quick advice.
    Following on form my old thread and exhaustive seach this week im down to these 2 and wanted to run them by you lads.
    Which would yas suggest?

Trading in 99 avensis 1.8 auto with 112k on clock.

02 Passat 1.9 TDI 130 bhp comfortline 6 speed 81k on clock.
    Can get for 12,750 with trade in on my car.
    Stunning performer but is it worth it?
    what bout 81k on clock?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=307529

Also this 03 1.9 TDI 48k on clock for 14,200 with my own car as trade in.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=311737

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

have a Passat myself....00 version 1.9Tdi 90Bhp and my bro GF has teh 02 comfortline 1.9TDi same as the one you are about to buy.....now when she bought it has abour 82k on the clock as well but with these cars they will go and go and go so 80k isnt much.....only over 84k on mine now and I have done 10k in the 6 months since I have got.....you would notice the extra Bhp in the Red Di model but power isnt a thing I need with milage it is miles to the gallon.....for a full tank which would cost me just over 50 in tesco I get around 600 miles out of that!!!! HAPPY DAYS

Whats the Bhp on the 03 model? looks like the flat rate? maybe ask! if you want that extra bit of poke need the Red Di......is the 03 comfortline??? doesnt say!!! going to go with a Passat or an Audi when I change again but making sure I get comfortline....on a long drive you notice the difference!

Also try and get garage to put an amplifier or something on the arial!! it is pretty bad for radio coverage!! Im ok because bought a cd player and once I lose radio stick one on! but if your a radio man then you will need this.....seems to be a problem with all passats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cardude

Unfortunately in this country, in terms of resale, mileage is king. An awful lot of people will not look beyond mileage so if you are thinking of this as a short term car then the 03 makes more sense as it as a year newer and has less mileage for the $1700 difference.

If it was me though, I think the 02 is not badly priced despite the mileage. The 130bhp engine with 6speed gearbox is a lot nicer to drive than 110 or 90. Also that carcomes with quite a high spec(not knowing the spec of the other) which is usually not the case with VW(who consider e/w and a spare wheel as a luxury!!). ;-)

Thats my €0.02 worth anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The second one is much better value for money. Don't worry about it being less powerful, you can have it remapped for a few 100 €

cardude wrote:
    Unfortunately in this country, in terms of resale, mileage is king. An awful lot of people will not look beyond mileage so if you are thinking of this as a short term car then the 03 makes more sense as it as a year newer and has less mileage for the $1700 difference.

Not really on a diesel....diesel will sell anyway once they havent got crazy miles on them....ex-taxi driver cars.......
    cardude wrote:
    If it was me though, I think the 02 is not badly priced despite the mileage. The 130bhp engine with 6speed gearbox is a lot nicer to drive than 110 or 90. Also that carcomes with quite a high spec(not knowing the spec of the other) which is usually not the case with VW(who consider e/w and a spare wheel as a luxury!!). ;-)

Thats my €0.02 worth anyhow...

Yeah as mentioned above you really need the comfortline.....

Also in regards comments for re-mapping....its not that easy or cheap!! for teh small air mod thing it is about 300 quid and that is checking UK as well.....for a remapping I got priced about 500-600 euro!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cheers guys.
    Quick question.
    Ive just come back form a test drive in another 02 passat english car 1.9 TDI but it felt nowhere near as powerfull as the one mentioned above.
    This guy wants 10,500 with my own 70k on clock.
    Are there TDIs that are not 130bhp?
    My understanding was the TDI was 100 bhp but TDI were all 130 bhp?

• Advertisement

What I was told

Tdi - 90 Bhp
    Tdi - 110(was told this was 110 but could be 100 according to insurance companies they say 100)
    Tdi - 130

Dcully wrote:
    Cheers guys.
    Quick question.
    Ive just come back form a test drive in another 02 passat english car 1.9 TDI but it felt nowhere near as powerfull as the one mentioned above.
    This guy wants 10,500 with my own 70k on clock.
    Are there TDIs that are not 130bhp?
    My understanding was the TDI was 100 bhp but TDI were all 130 bhp?

Watch the english import ones....check them out....I was looking at one and test drove.....had a look around later at it and it was clear that it had been crashed(rear ended it looked like)....bloke selling it swore blind it wasnt....brought him out and showed him the damage.....still swore to my face it wasnt but you could tell from his reaction he knew the gig was up....left it where it was!! just one dealer mind you!!! check for rust on bottom of car...underneath......they salt the roads too much in UK.....

Deposit paid on the second one.
    She is an 03 TDI 47k on clock.
    Beauty to drive with oodles of torque,spotless throughout,even has that lovely new car smell :)
    Loved it and even better the wife loved it too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Your not going to go wrong with either of the above cars. Just remember the basics.
    A Properly mainted service book is the big one. The 2 cars might have 35K in the difference but make sure the service book is filled out. Generally on the TDI they have been set up for either 10 or 20K miles service intervals.

As for the TDI badges. Don't use them as a rule of thumb for what's under the bonet. THe badges have being all over the shop throughout their range of vehicles since 2002. I drive a TDI Bora 100BHP but the it has a DI badge. My friend got a new Passat this year (company car) and it is the 130bhp TDI 6 speed. Its a beautiful car to drive. He even has Cruise Control. But the badge is "TDI And there not the only 2 VW cars like that I know of.
    Another friend has a UK import 2000 VW Passat TDI 130bhp. He's got 150K on the clock and its still going strong. The only thing that has given trouble is the Remote Locking. He had to replace a Unit which is situated under the passenger foot bay. Cost around €250 for Genuine part.

Once you keep the oil and filter changed regularly they will go forever....
    [/COLOR]

Yup ive been told once i keep on top of oil change and filter it will be fine .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd go for the Audi for that money. If 90Bhp wasn't enough you could always chip it to 120Bhp.

Dcully wrote:
    Deposit paid on the second one.
    She is an 03 TDI 47k on clock.
    Beauty to drive with oodles of torque,spotless throughout,even has that lovely new car smell :)
    Loved it and even better the wife loved it too :)

Happy motoring!!!

Cheers Nelly,picking her up this evening @ 5:30 woohoo :D

Picked her up,very happy with it.
    Cant get over the torque @ 2,000 rpm tbh,she just explodes with power.
    90 mph on motorway @ 3,000 rpm is very impressive too.
    Rarely go even near 3,000 rpm such is the effortless torque.
    Having never experiencing TDIs before im well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Them 130 Tdi`s are fast. My uncle has one. They bought it new in 2002 and it has given no trouble up to its current 35K miles anyway. (as you`d expect at that mileage). They really are a class drive, you`ll overtake anything in one, and in low revs too. You need a big engine for the body, you were right to get the 130 over the 110 and 90. The 90bhp versions are dead altogether just like all the base engined models in all VW cars. (1.4 golf/bora`s for example)

They went for the basic spec though, and although the engine is class, it really is the basic spec. Its a joke that a 2002 car costing the money it did didnt even come with a cd player. It hadnt even mudflaps with it. The only mod con it has are electric windows/central locking and class seats. The seats are comfortable, and you can lower them way down and all sorts, feels rather sporty.
    The dash on it is class too, nice blue and red lights if i remember correctly.
    Its a silver one too, im not mad on them in that colour, bit plain. They have some lovely other colours though.

I think it was just the early ones that had the electrical problems, lad up the road from us bought a new one in `97, and he had loads of electrical issues and swore he`d never buy another one aswell, but the new ones seem to be ironed out of all them probs.

They hold their value well, and them diesels tdi`s are in demand. They`re pricey, bit over-pricey/over-rated i personally think, but i think that bout all VW`s so im biased. :p
    Anyway, good luck with yours. :) You obviously like them, so i`d say you`ll keep it a few years, you wont regret it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

VW TDI engines aren't over rated, the VW marque might be but not those particular engines. Ever since the 1Z they have been going strong. Proper maintenance will almost guarantee longevity. Even badly abused ones are impossible to kill.

Advertisement