Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector with HiDef content

• 27-10-2005 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering buying a screenplay 4805, but its native resolution is relatively low at 854x480. Could anyone tell me what to expect when I'm viewing HiDef content on it? Apparantly it supports HiDef up to 1080i, but this seems counter-intuitive to me.
    Compatibility. DVI (HDCP), component and RGB HDTV 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, and computer resolutions up to XGA (1024x768). NTSC, PAL, SECAM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Quick reply. It will downscale from 1080i. I think it also upscales. All to do with the F-whatever processor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So it'll just be at 854x480?

What about the 1024x768 mode? Is that just marketing lies? it says:
    up to 1024x768 resolution through intelligent resizing

Intelligent resizing sounds like bottom to me. I'm a bit new to all this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its marketing gick. it downsizes the res, thereby defeating the purpose of hi-def. it might be better than old dvd but it aint hi-def

Nice one. Thanks souper. Not sure what to do now. It seems like a decent projector, but I'd like it to be hi-def ready. I expect to be poor for the next few years after buying a new house, so upgrades are unlikely. ;)

Ok, I'd appreciate some advice on this.....

I can pony up for a projector capable of 1024 x 576, but it's twice the price (for a 50% increase in pixels). Will I really notice a big difference if I do?

And is it worth being future proof (ish)? There's no way I'll have the money for a 1280x720 (or better) capable projector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's a difficult one, Hi-Def sources are pretty much non-existant here (except from your american cousins!). So you're going to pay a serious premium for features in kit that you're not going to be using. When Hi-Def sources are available, the price of HD equipment will be much lower as volume kicks in.

It's a dilema, you really shouldn't notice any difference in PAL sources as no matter how good the video scaler is, it can only work with the source its given and can't create extra detail.

Also will depend on how large you're projecting the image, how soon you expect to have HD sources (Sky HD by mid next year for some sport?)

I have a panasonic AE500, it's an LCD panel 1280x720 so it does 720p at native resolution, and a proper 720p source on it looks a lot better than the best PAL DVD.

I just realised that the price of LCD projectors is much much much lower. Seriously looking at the panasonic AE700 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I use an epson EMP tw10h LCD projector. Its excellent. Although I wish the fan was quieter sometimes but Im the only person who seems to notice it. Excellent for games too. Works best using component video cables and using a progressive scan DVD player. Room needs to be very dark for best results.

Nice one. Thanks for all the feedback. I've more or less decided on the AE700. I have a query in with an ebay seller. Hope to have it next week.

The AE700 is a magic PJ, the AE900 has just been released so you should get a great deal on the 700.

One of the great things on them is the SCART, I watch sky on it all the time and the RGB picture (and auto widescreen switching) is t'riffic!

Komplett have AE700s in stock at 1399

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I have an ae700 too. Got the component cables for the Playstation2. Highly recommended, dvds and games are perfect on it.

Don't have digital tv, just have basic channels going through a video and into projector using composite but still well watchable.

So if i got a sky or ntl box i could connect straight to scart for an even better pictutre?

I took the plunge and bought one of the AE700's from a power seller on ebay for £768 sterling including delivery (around 1150 euro). I was going to buy the one on Komplett....but the saving was too big to be ignored. :) (Pretty sure he has more so if others want the URL shout and I'll dig it out).

Currently like a child waiting for christmas. :D

pH: Is the scart quality better than composite and / or computer monitor connector? My first thought is to run it off a computer with a TV card using the 14pin monitor connector as I thought that would give the best image quality.

If you're connecting a PC then get a cheap graphics card with DVI and make sure the PC screen resolution is set to the native res of the projector (1280x720). This will give a perfect crisp picture. Failing that use the standard VGA connector. I wouldn't attempt to get a PC up on it using a TV card (composite or s-video) if there is any way of getting DVI or even RGB (VGA)

It's currently being shipped. Can't flippin' wait. *reload* *reload* *reload* *reload*

pH (or others): Would there be a noticeable difference between DVI and VGA inputs at the native resolution? I have DVI output on my computers graphics card but I'd need to buy a special cable for it (dvi->hdmi) 'cos I just use a VGA adapter and cable with it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It will be dependant on the projector. But I can't tell the difference between DVI and VGA on mine.

That'll do nicely. Thanks Ciaran. VGA it is. :) (for now at least).

dhl.com->tracking

*reload* *reload* *reload* *reload* *reload*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ditto for the Panasonic, I have the AE500 and it's brilliant.

DLP's give strange visual artifacts on some material which are more noticable to some particularly sensitive people than other.

Don't forget to spend a few quid on a decent screen !!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cinemaworks

if you want to do a cheap but very effective screen for yourself. pop down to your local dulux supplier.. get some icestorm 5 or 6 ( i prefer the 5). paint it on the wall where your panny is showing the image mark the edges on the image. knock up a wooden surrond paint it matt black and there you go..

DVI is definately the better option as its a digital interface.. if you buy a dvi cable and get a little DVI/HDMI adapter from All Cables Ltd in Dublin €18.50 that will sort it for ya.

Its a lovely PJ im exicted for you..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i hope to see more of you around :D ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're connecting a PC then get a cheap graphics card with DVI and make sure the PC screen resolution is set to the native res of the projector (1280x720). This will give a perfect crisp picture. Failing that use the standard VGA connector. I wouldn't attempt to get a PC up on it using a TV card (composite or s-video) if there is any way of getting DVI or even RGB (VGA)

seconded, NVidia cards seem to be happier doing this.

• Advertisement

Nice advice there Cinemaworks. I'll probably use a blackout blind at the start, but for a more permanent solution this defo sounds like a runner.
    Its a lovely PJ im exicted for you..:D

Thanks....I'm sooooo excited now.....child.....santa claus.... :D

DHL tracking currently says
    DHL wrote:
    November 14, 2005 03:16 Dublin - Ireland, Republic of Clearance delay

Boooo. I think it's because I'm having it delivered to work and we have a customs clearance company.

I used icestorm 5 on a sheet of MDF, bought it in B&Q and had them do a nice straight cut to get it form 8x4 (2:1) to 16:9.

This is then mounted as a screen, total cost about 50 euro. I keep meaning to repaint it with some goo but just haven't gotten round to it.

pH wrote:
    This is then mounted as a screen

Where did you mount it? I just can't see the Mrs. being overly happy about a huge sheet of grey mdf being, well, anywhere in the house. The blackout blind over the front window seems like the best solution to me, though I'd love to see what kind of difference the icestorm makes.

Is this the approximate colour?

Yep that's the basic colour a light grey. As I understand it as you move from white to grey you're trading some overall image brightness for better blacks.

A roller type system of blackout material that you pull down would work fine, though you may need extra weight on the bottom to keep it tight and ripple free. Make sure whoever is makign it up for you has it in 16:9 size when its fully extended and doesn't give you a seam up the middle.

Have you decided on the size of the blind and found a supplier for it?

It's basically gonna be the front window blind. Conveniently that's already pretty close on 16:9 at 231cm x 145cm. Good advice on the weight front. Thanks.

On the supplier front, I'm reliably informed that there's a place in Swords (at airside) that makes up blinds for you on the spot based on measurements. I'll report back on how I get on and picture quality.

It arrived.

Two words: HOLY CRAP. I'm amazed at the picture quality. Even from dvd source and at a very large screen size it looks fantastic. Difficult to notice pixelisation. I was just watching it on the kitchen wall last night because I couldn't find a blackout blind wide enough for our front living room window (if anyone knows where I can get a blackout blind 231cm wide (or wider) please shout). Edit: There's a website b4i.ie, but they're pretty pricey.

My wife was suitably impressed with it too. I watched some Star Wars with my son, then we watched The Mission. Can't wait to spend the weekend watching stuff. :D

Thanks to everyone for their patience and advice over the past two weeks. Much appreciated.

Advertisement