Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Swords.

• 27-10-2005 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Howdie Folks,

Can any one here recommend a decent broadband package/provider availaible to Swords, Co. Dublin,

I would prefer to stay away from eircom/BT, is NTL avail...?

Many Thanks in advance.

SW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vontrapp

I'm in Swords (near the village) and have BT broadband. I had no problems getting set up, except the usual delay in getting a line via Eircom and then transferring over to BT. My connection speeds are fine.

The only problem I have with BT is (you guessed it), the billing. Their bills are completely confusing and have funny discounts and all kinds of things on them. When I add it all up and work out the cost per month however, it's working out at what I expected to pay so I'm ok for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

thanks for that vontrapp...

anyone know if NTL is availaible?

Cheers
    SW

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SoundWave wrote:
    thanks for that vontrapp...

anyone know if NTL is availaible?

Cheers
    SW

Ring them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

NTL broadband is not available in Swords. I am on Eircom ADSL and though not the cheapest out there, I find it very reliable and fine for my needs. Been using it for around 2 years now and I've only seen one or two outages.

My only gripe is that I'd like a decent upload speed, but you can't have everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

dub45 wrote:
    Ring them?
    cant you do it for me..... u seem like the helpful sort.... :cool:

thanks for the info m_stan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

NTL ain't in Swords, not really anyhow.

Most of Swords (& Malahide) are cable and that was done by a company (CMI) that was bought by Chorus.

The company who did operate that cable provided cable internet for a few years between 1999 & 2001-2 until Chorus decided they didn't want to support it anymore.

Chorus haven't been laying cable in Swords for a while now, i.e. Boroimhe or any of the newer developments don't have any TV cable layed and thus most people have to get Sky Digital or NTL MMDS for Multichannel TV.

I've heard that Clearwire are doing BB in Swords village so why not give them a buzz, find there number on www.clearwire.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

SoundWave wrote:
    cant you do it for me..... u seem like the helpful sort.... :cool:

thanks for the info m_stan

where are you in Swords - we could run a cat5 cable from my router to your house, or if you're close enough you can plug into my wireless lan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Don't trust the map or address checker on the clearwire site. If it shows you out of their range, just give them a ring. Their systems says I'm out of range, a nice person come out, put the receiver up and I got perfect signal.

I only have them a short time but I'm happy with them (and best of all, now that I don't have eircom dsl anymore, I don't need this waist of landline).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Hey......I live in Boroimhe, had the same idea as you, didn't want to touch Eircom (or the resellers, as it's still Eircom that's the problem)......anyway, when I got Broadband in the Summer there were no wireless providers with a service in Swords.......ICE were supposed to be launching then, never came back to me at all.....so after a 7 month wait for a phone line I transferred straight away to UTV (took a few weeks as Eircom were messing around)......and I've had no problems with UTV......

I have Chorus cable by the way, though I'm in the last phase of the estate to go up, so maybe it's only those houses that have it (I have noticed a lot of large aerials around other parts of the estate........anyway, if you want to wait for Broadband from them I suppose there's a possiblity it'll start becoming available next year once the merger between UGC (owners of Chorus) and NTL is completed, then they are apparently going to have a major push on BB penetration in Ireland......we'll see.....:)

Advertisement