Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what do I need to get going???/

• 27-10-2005 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im going to take the plunge, going to ditch the land line and go with a wireless connection (Clearwire) and put a VOip system in.

So my question is: What do I need, and what are my options.

Im not going to use a software based VOip system, so what are my hardware options?

Can I used my existing DECT phones plugged in to something?

My plan is to have the clearwire modem attached to my wireless router, and attach anything I need to to that.

What sort of costs am I like to incur

Who is the best provider, do any offer number porting yet?

At the moment I use Skype In/Out but just as a novelty, the quality is average, but I have been using it over a PDA on a wireless network, so to be expected.

I know this may seem a little disjointed, but I read through several threads and Faqs and cant find detailed info to the above.

Finally what are the cons for such a system?

Thanks

Redmond

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Have a look at Blueface http://www.blueface.ie that's what I use and they are very good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would suggest looking at
    www.broadtalk.ie
    www.skytel.ie
    www.blueface.ie
    there's more in the sticky...

Basically your best option is get a subscribtion A/C from one of the 3 most popular VoIP providers** then get yourself a ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter)* and connect it to your router, then connect your normal PSTN phone into your ATA.

The above 3 VoIP providers sell ATA's so you'll have no issues getting one
    Before you make the plunge for hardware and the full switch I would suggest testing with software first, seeing what kind of pings you get to your VoIP provider etc :)

If you look at the sites and their FAQ's don't answer your question post your question here and I'm sure someone will try help you out.

As for cons, I suppose you have the obvious problems
    - If your DSL/CABLE/WIRELESS dies you'll have no phone service
    - If the power goes you'll have no phone service (Unless you have a UPS)
    - If you dial 999/911 the Gardi etc won't be able to locate your house by call trace (not sure if Ireland has this feature)
    - If your downloading/uploading ALOT it will affect call quality, casual downloading and normal web/email/irc etc shouldn't cause issues.

*An ATA simple allows a standard phone to work with your VoIP provider
    **Both Broadtalk & Blueface allow number porting and afaik its free, however skytel do not support number porting at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

whats the best ATA?

I dont need one with a router, as I already have a wifi router.

I think after that Im ready to go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If I were you, I would get a router and ATA combined that has built-in QoS. Otherwise if you're doing downloads (or uploads), your phone service will die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

redzer007 wrote:
    whats the best ATA?

I dont need one with a router, as I already have a wifi router.

I think after that Im ready to go!!

I use a Sipura 3000 ATA, it's great. Came setup by Blueface all I had to do was plug it in. Blueface are a very good company to deal with, I would highly recommend them. As Blaster said I would recommend getting the linksys wireless router with built in ATA from Blueface, think it's €125. It gets pretty confusing trying to manage all the different boxes and remembering their IP addresses and config settings. Up to yourself really, by all means what you suggested will work perfectly but the all in one solution would be easier on you.

You could still put your existing wireless router to use as an extender or something like that. I don't know anything about Clearwire but you should investigate their reliabiliy and speed before you make the final leap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement