Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miers not for Supreme Court

Options
  • 27-10-2005 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Just being announced on google news (and presumably in other places) that Miers has withdrawn herself from the Supreme Court nomination, and Bush has reluctantly accepted same.

I'm really interested to see who gets the next shot at the position, and how long before someone, on some side of some political fence declares that in view of the new nomination Miers would have been a preferable chioce.

jc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1027051miers1.html

she hadn't a hope in hell of being confirmed. She wasnt conservative enough for the some republicans, and those on the left jumped on the cronieism bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i think on the face of it - she was probably more conservative than roberts - most people from both parties agreed she was grossly underqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Apparently Bush was trying to play it safe with a candidate no one knew enough about to oppose on idealogical grounds. The "****ing crazies" as Powell styled them arent going to accept anything less than the real deal in terms of christian conservitism though, and Miers wasnt it.

I feel sorry for the administration that has to pick a candidate that can satisfy the fundamentalist right whilst not upsetting the Democrats. The Bible belt feels its hour is at hand to take over a court that has made Christianity practically illegal ( The way they see it anyway) whilst the Democrats will fight tooth and nail to protect the right to privacy ruling that underpins legal abortion. The only good thing from Bushes point of view is that he doesnt have to worry about impact on his re-election chances.
    think on the face of it - she was probably more conservative than roberts

Yep, as I understand it Roberts will do his best to stick rigidly to the constitution as written rather than trying to stretch it to make it apply elsewhere. So hes conservitive, but not in the style that will satisfy Bushes core support. From what the atmosphere in the White House seems to be with daily prayer meetings and so on, Miers would need to be extremely Christian to survive there.

Advertisement