Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your area?

• 27-10-2005 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

what services are available in your area and what is that area?

basically, i just want to get an idea of what the quality is all over the country. how many people have access to the fixed wireless services such as clearwire, irish broadband etc? my area cant get it (dsl) so im wondering what % of the country is covered by wireless..anybody know what plans(or where it can be seen) there are to make broadband more available throughout the countryside....how long do ye think before the whole country has it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Check out broadband.gov.ie . Theres a search for broadband providers in you area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We can get IBB, DSL and NTL where I live \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

found a fixed wireless provioder near my area, looking into it now, that gov link aint bad, cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

all wireless and dsl, cables services are available in my area \o/ x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

all dsl services and cable and wireless services and the fastest broadband in Ireland (magnet.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

just satellite in my ares :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Here, there's IBB, Digiweb FWA, Eircom DSL (and bitstream resellers), and soon I think NWE FWA.

Not sure if the exchange is unbundled to other telecom's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Jakkass wrote:
    and the fastest broadband in Ireland (magnet.ie)
    ? Magnet have already upgraded to 10mb? Surely you forget Dungarvan's Wonder Company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Jakkass wrote:
    all dsl services and cable and wireless services and the fastest broadband in Ireland (magnet.ie)

Isn't Cablesurf Dungarvan the fastest at 19 Megs?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Freddie59 wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Freddie59 wrote:

if it was i'd have moved home months ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

The only *service* is Satellite you can get where I live, can someone confirm when the term Satellite Broadband changed from its meaning/referral to a dish and a Satellite, to extortion?, Where do they think they're going with their prices?, Digiweb want €1200 for installation and equipment and then €99 a month for 512k/128k, that's not economically viable for anyone but a millionaire.

OP, to answer your question, I don't think broadband will EVER be 100% available in Ireland, this being due to the fact that it's left in the hands of a private company, €ircon. It's in their interest to keep many exchanges broadband disabled as their main product is phone calls, with Broadband, VOIP causes a world of hurt to €ircon, after all they have to keep their shareholders happy, how happy they must be that only 10% of people have broadband while the rest of us have no choice to stick with 56k. Due to the archaic networking technnology in place in most of the country (outside of the main cities), people in smaller towns won't EVER get broadband. Fixed wireless access was to be the great hope for this country and its residents access to broadband, but lets see now, they're all private companies offering the service!, they're only interested in serving large towns and cities in Ireland!, screw the towns with a population less than 2000!, you can have our extortionately priced Dial up flatrate package that costs more than a broadband package!

Besides, it's getting to the stage now where the BB boat has sailed on past Ireland, with the U.K having 100% coverage and packages offering up to 24mb (100mb by mid 2007), any infrastructure scheduled to be incorporated rurally over the coming years is ADSL1 technology, something that is becoming outdated in most other EU countries,

Sums it up really doesn't it?, plans being afoot to put in yesterdays technology tomorrow.

Ireland refers to itself as the I.T capital of the world, lets see If they can still call themselves that in 5 years when the big companies such as Microsoft Ireland, Dell etc, have to rethink their strategies of being based in a country with 3rd world telecoms when companies such as they are reliant on the Internet and decided it best to relocate to another country.

Advertisement