Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrecks - Dir. Neil LaBute, starring Ed Harris - Everyman

Options
  • 27-10-2005 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Wrecks - Directed by Neil LaBute and starring Ed Harris - Showing in the Everyman from Nov 22nd to Dec 3rd.

http://www.everymanpalace.com/new/content.php?TSID=9562
    Wrecks, an Everyman Palace Theatre production in association with Cork 2005 and Kenneth Madden, is the story of one man's unique love for his recently deceased wife. Author Neil LaBute, who also directs, is the creator of the controversial films In The Company Of Men, Your Friend's And Neighbours and The Shape Of Things. He directed Possession, starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Nurse Betty starring Morgan Freeman and Renee Zellweger. He is currently filming The Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage. Play titles include Bash, The Mercy Seat and The Shape Of Things. Earlier this year two new plays were also premiered: This Is How It Goes starring Ben Stiller at the Public Theatre New York and Some Girls starring David Schwimmer at the Gielgud Theatre London.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

THE Ed Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Just like The An Brog.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ken Shabby wrote:
    THE Ed Harris?

yip. Bona fide star right here in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Frith

i have tickets for the ed harris show... its it true it's only 1 hour long?

I got tickets for the preview on the 22nd. (Coincidentally, that's my birthday). Only E15.

• Advertisement

So I went to see this, and I'm wondering if anyone else has also gone.

Ed harris gave a good performance, but I wasn't overly delighted with the actual dialogue. Felt it was a bit clichéd.

Going on Thu with the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

Dad went on opening night and fell asleep.

Def not an easy listening show but still nice to see a star on the Cork stage.

Same with an elderly lady who was sitting next to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Wannabe Deise

Hi there
    Saw the play on Saturday evening in Cark. Went to 5 pm "matinee" and paid 23 euro for 65 minute performance which I felt was cheeky.
    Anyway I thought Ed Harris was brilliant and I enjoyed the play up until the fast-becoming-infamous twist.
    My brother agreed with me as did Fintan O'Toole whose review I only read after the show. The panel on the View on Tuesday were excessively critical in my opinion. Yes the twist was unnecessary but the performance and much of the "monologue" were great.
    I agree with one of the View panellists when they said that they feared the audience were going to reply to some of the character's direct questions. Cringe!

• Advertisement

I almost did as I was quite sleepy. It was a good performance but the material wasn't fantastic. Yeah, no need for that additional at the end. If they were going to exlpore that are they could have made the whole play about it. This felt gimmicky and a bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I've seen it twice and will again this evening - absolutely loved it! (I do a lot of volunatary work at the Palace). Anyway, that was the whole idea - "the twist" at the end, we were supposed to see this really regular guy and then ...................... the play didn't need to focus on the subject a few little hints throughout made you wonder "mmmmmm". I don't want to say too much in case anyone reads this who hasn't seen the show yet, don't want to spoil it for them. I didn't see that Review programme but anyone who did see it wasn't overly impressed by the critics comments. Come to think of it, I am rarely impressed or agree with anything said by critics, be it theatre/cinema/ music - best to make up your own mind and not be swayed by the "snobbery of the ink!" There's another performance at 17.00 tomorrow and 20.00 (which is the last show).

Judes, what people are saying is the twist was just too formulaic and there for being there. It's like watching an M. Night Shamalyan movie. Twists are the new black.

Ed Harris came to our Drama class and answered some questions about his performance, career, and occasional directing in film. He was really down to earth and definitely had such presence.

Advertisement