Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get RON 98 in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-10-2005 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone know where to get RON 98? and is there a big difference (worth handing over the extra cash) between 98 and 95?

Cheers..

Dog :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

It cant be gotten anywhere in the south anymore.Your only option if your running a hipower jap is to use octane booster or have the ecu remapped to run on 95 OR if your near the border pop over there - it wont be cheap tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Shell garages carry V-Power which I'm sure is 98 but I am open for correction.

There is a Shell garage on the southside on the coast road, I think it's rock road near some hotel. Sorry I don't know the area very well... I just pass it during the day.

Vpower is only 95oct,its just treated to be a "cleaner" fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

V Power is NOT 98 but sure if Shell can sell it to enough thick idiots who think it is (not directing it at you T5) then they're the ones laughing even more, all the way to the bank :rolleyes:

As has been said, it cannot be bought in ROI. I would love to know who the little runt is who decided to pull it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Think it was something to do with the Tax the Govt. was levying on the higher RON fuel made the companies pull it since they weren't selling enough. Bit silly tbh given the huge demand out there for it.

• Advertisement

Well from what I can gather, more and more cars are going to start needing it as generally, as the years go by, manufacturers are giving their models more bhp.

My car is meant to get 98 and after the government have raped me for VRT on it they are now reducing the fun I can have in it by cheating me of a few bhp because it's only getting 95 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Posted this before. Get one of these www.fuelcat.co.uk 100 octane I got one It cleans your engine and gives better mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Thanks guys - wasnt sure about that Shell Vpower, i did notice on the pumps it saying 95 but wasnt sure if it had any booster in it....pity you cant get it, would love to know how big a preformance boost it gives a car thats ment to be driven on it...

I was told by the garage where I bought my gti that u can get octane boosters from car shops - any info or recomendations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I know it's no good to you DirtyDog but I am able to get it in Donegal. Not in Letterkenny the biggest town in the county, but out in the middle of nowhere on the way to Derry.

1.57 per litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Texaco in Ringsend sell 98RON last time I filled up. Agreed about it being a pain that companies think it is lack of demand, and drop it as a line. Time to wake up! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Big Balls wrote:
    V Power is NOT 98 but sure if Shell can sell it to enough thick idiots who think it is (not directing it at you T5) then they're the ones laughing even more, all the way to the bank :rolleyes:

No problem. I have never bought it, that's why I wasn't sure ;)
    But I would like to try out the 98 as I have looked for it in some garages and they just don't run it anymore.
    Maybe taking a trip to Texaco in Ringsend. How much is it there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

why do you want 98 ron . If your car is european spec then it is designed for 95 ron if its a performance jap spec then best of luck use the 95 and save the difference for your obligitory egine rebuild .Octane boosters are pure crap unless mixed with the fuel befoe entering the tank otherwise they create pockets of differing fuel quality within the tank .

69 mustang wrote:
    Posted this before. Get one of these www.fuelcat.co.uk 100 octane I got one It cleans your engine and gives better mpg.

There's no way an inline filter can give you an extra 5 octane points,they dont even show any paper proof of it.

There's a brand being sold here now for around 150 fitted and i know a few people testing it.In their opinion theres no power difference just slightly better economy and the cars abit smoother.

There's an online link ill try find showing a jdm scooby on a rolling road with petrol tester before and after the cataliser was added and it made no difference in power whatsoever

The only Octane booster ive heard of thats shown an increase was Millers Cvl,alot of them are just glorified paint thinners that will eventually burn your piston rings out!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could always buy online
    www.petroldirect.com
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CelticChick

Texaco in Ashbourne have Super plus still and they have no plans to get rid of it- said they are selling huge amounts of it.

why do you want 98 ron . If your car is european spec then it is designed for 95 ron if its a performance jap spec then best of luck use the 95 and save the difference for your obligitory egine rebuild .Octane boosters are pure crap unless mixed with the fuel befoe entering the tank otherwise they create pockets of differing fuel quality within the tank .

Because I have a MKV GTI and they're meant to run on 98. Yes, they can run on 95 but they lose some performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Big Balls wrote:
    Because I have a MKV GTI and they're meant to run on 98. Yes, they can run on 95 but they lose some performance.

should be very quick on 95 tbh, and if it is not enuf have it remapped. and stop reading the headcases on the uk-mkiv forum mumbling on about 98 :D

lomb wrote:
    should be very quick on 95 tbh, and if it is not enuf have it remapped. and stop reading the headcases on the uk-mkiv forum mumbling on about 98 :D

hahahaha, I just wanna get out of my car what I should be getting! :D

Thanks CelticChick, I usually drive by Ashbourne, I must stop in so.

They are quick enough yeh but still would be nice to have the option.

Dog - if you use the 98 make sure you don't go back to the 95, just messes with the ECU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

eireal wrote:
    There's no way an inline filter can give you an extra 5 octane points,they dont even show any paper proof of it.

There's a brand being sold here now for around 150 fitted and i know a few people testing it.In their opinion theres no power difference just slightly better economy and the cars abit smoother.

There's an online link ill try find showing a jdm scooby on a rolling road with petrol tester before and after the cataliser was added and it made no difference in power whatsoever

The only Octane booster ive heard of thats shown an increase was Millers Cvl,alot of them are just glorified paint thinners that will eventually burn your piston rings out!

I was able to set my carbs to the leaner side got no flat spots, can feel a difference.
    Its been about since WWII.
    The RS guys use it if there's one on boards to note there findings.
    I have also found my engine run cooler.
    It also can act as an LRP.:)
    www.fuelcat.co.uk

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:

Dog - if you use the 98 make sure you don't go back to the 95, just messes with the ECU.

Thanks - typical dealer told me I only need to put it in once a month...how some of them get jobs I never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Big Balls wrote:

What does going back to 95 do to the ECU?

It just confuses your fueling and may make the car run lean/rich.Ecu's are self learning tho so it'l fix the problem itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

@CelticChick I take it you mean Wards Texaco garage in Ashbourne ... If so then I don't think they have had 98ron for a few months now...

I have to use octane booster now - :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

eireal wrote:
    It just confuses your fueling and may make the car run lean/rich.Ecu's are self learning tho so it'l fix the problem itself

takes time thou, the guys on uk-mkivs reakon not to switch fuels on gtis. stay with one or the other, not sure if it makes any diff, i doubt the power is going to b significantly increased and i believe it burns faster so giving poorer economy so why use 98?

Ye Wards-They've had it now for the last month, I go every week to fill my car so maybe they ran out a while back but its def back now.

$lash wrote:
    @CelticChick I take it you mean Wards Texaco garage in Ashbourne ... If so then I don't think they have had 98ron for a few months now...

I have to use octane booster now - :mad:

Ye Wards-They've had it now for the last month, I go every week to fill my car so maybe they ran out a while back but its def back now.

Cool ... I will have a look! Out of interest what car are you driving that you need to run 98ron??

A Honda Integra Tyre r - a DC5. Posted a pic of it on the picture thread here on boards. What about you?

$lash wrote:
    Cool ... I will have a look! Out of interest what car are you driving that you need to run 98ron??

A Honda Integra Tyre r - a DC5. Posted a pic of it on the picture thread here on boards. What about you?

Oh very nice ... A blue one ? - if so I've seen it in Wards... I import cars from Japan so everything and anything ... Been driving an EVO IV lately

• Advertisement

Ye its a blue one, had it in wards alright a couple of weeks ago for them to check out everything on it was perfect- I only have it a month. My brother is after an EVO, he has a white impreza at the moment but his heart is set on a Tommy McEnem ( or however that is spelt!) They are a nice car!

$lash wrote:
    Oh very nice ... A blue one ? - if so I've seen it in Wards... I import cars from Japan so everything and anything ... Been driving an EVO IV lately

Advertisement