Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord says more more more!

Options
  • 27-10-2005 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Right so, I moved into my new house paid €150 deposit + 1 months rent. Sound. I was late with the rent on a couple of occasions and now the landlord is apparently threatening to demand a full month's rent in the form of an additional deposit - he can't take the chance of me not paying on time anymore. Can he do that?! -

That was my initial post but I apologise profusely but I left out one small detail. The landlord is looking for additional deposits from all 4 occupiers of the house. I'd have no problem in paying an additional deposit because I do realise that it was my bad. I wanted to know is he allowed to demand a deposit from the other people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

well, it sounds like you might wanna do it. instead of him kicking you out for being late on more than 1 occasion...
    if rent is a problem then try and come to an agreement with him on how you can change payment methods or dates to a time when you have the money.

or maybe get your parents to pay it, and you pay them.
    but that option aint the best as dealing money with family is a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

He would have bills to pay aswell...mortgage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not a landlord .. but I can understand his thinking and I'm sure you can too. He is probably fed up with late payment and is actually being decent enough to find a workaround. He's only human afterall. If you like the place then pay the extra deposit. But when you do pay it, may sure you get a receipt for the additional deposit. Try to pay on time from now on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

dahooligan wrote:
    Right so, I moved into my new house paid €150 deposit + 1 months rent. Sound. I was late with the rent on a couple of occasions and now the landlord is apparently threatening to demand a full month's rent in the form of an additional deposit - he can't take the chance of me not paying on time anymore. Can he do that?!
    Maybe you should shnage the thread name to " I am an irresponsible tenant and my landlord wants a better guarantee":rolleyes:
    He can't really do it but as you are the one at fault maybe you should be the one doing something to correct your mistake. An extra months rent sounds extremely reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭audge

Maybe you should shnage the thread name to " I am an irresponsible tenant and my landlord wants a better guarantee":rolleyes:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

dahooligan wrote:
    Right so, I moved into my new house paid €150 deposit + 1 months rent. Sound. I was late with the rent on a couple of occasions and now the landlord is apparently threatening to demand a full month's rent in the form of an additional deposit - he can't take the chance of me not paying on time anymore. Can he do that?!

I would if I were him
    he's probably counting on your rent to help pay the mortgage for the house, mortgage payments cannot be late.
    I'd kick you out if you couldn't pay on time.

look at the other thread he posted he wants to get himself a mortgage of 300k on 30k job he hasn't even had 6 months. There really are some people who think they know what is going on but don't have a clue.

You didn't read the full thread did you? He doesn't want to buy a house now .. in a few years. Read the thread!

bubby wrote:
    You didn't read the full thread did you? He doesn't want to buy a house now .. in a few years. Read the thread!
    The important thing I am saying is the second line and you can have it yourself.;)

and you can have it yourself.;)

Whats that supposed to mean?
    If it means what I think it means, it doesn't surprise me in the least, coming from you that is!

• Advertisement

look at the other thread he posted he wants to get himself a mortgage of 300k on 30k job he hasn't even had 6 months. There really are some people who think they know what is going on but don't have a clue.
    WRONG!!!!!!
    1 - HE IS ONLY 21 YEARS OLD AND EARNING 30K P/A, CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER
    2 - AS A RESULT OF EMERGENCY TAX ETC (UNCONTROLLABLE CIRCUMSTANCES) HE WAS LATE IN MAKING PAYMENT
    3 - HE IS NOT TRYING TO GET A MORTGAGE OF 300K ON A 30K JOB, HE MERELY ASKED WHAT IS REQUIRED IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A MORTGAGE, WITH A VIEW TO PURCHASING IN 2-3 YEARS
    I can only assume that you are one of these people who think they know whats going on and really don't have a clue.
    If someone posts here asking for advice they should not be ridiculed!
    I suggest you read all posts twice before commenting in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭dahooligan

Thank you Audge. By the looks of things MorningStar may want all potential threads to be run my him/her to see if they are indeed relevant to his/her agenda for the day. As I have pointed out twice in the other Thread, I am only looking for ADVICE.. and silly ole me for being naive and thinking that asking a question might bring a posotive response from people in the know. I'll definitely know what not to ask in the future for fear of a tongue lashing from Mr/Ms Star.

With regard to my initial thread starter - I apologise profusely but I left out one small detail. The landlord is looking for additional deposits from all 4 occupiers of the house. I'd have no problem in paying an additional deposit because I do realise that it was my bad. I wanted to know is he allowed to demand a deposit from the other people?

Really sorry but I only copped the error a minute ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Keep it down please audge, some of us are trying to work. No need to shout :)

dahooligan, what your landlord is suggesting sounds reasonable. It can depend on the agreement though. If you have a signed lease agreement, then the original amount is probably mentioned in this agreement. You would need to amend the agreement to include this extra deposit. Best advice I would give though is to give him the money (get a receipt detailing that it's a deposit, not a month's actual rent), and then when you're leaving, give him a month's notice, and tell him to keep the extra deposit as your last month's rent.

audge wrote:
    WRONG!!!!!!

I know the facts but it doesn't mean you or him are really smart or quick witted people. Shouting at me just shows your inability to communicate. Riddicule is not what I did but before you choose to tell me off think about what is the difference between that and what you are doing. Let the mods do their own job.
    dahooligan wrote:
    As I have pointed out twice in the other Thread, I am only looking for ADVICE.

Change the thread title because you are at fault and the request for additional money is reasonable. Pay the additional money and pay your rent on time.
    Before you ask for adivce do a bit of reasearch yourself and look at things like stickies. Be accurate in what you are looking for. Enough advise for you.:p

seamus wrote:
    Best advice I would give though is to give him the money (get a receipt detailing that it's a deposit, not a month's actual rent), and then when you're leaving, give him a month's notice, and tell him to keep the extra deposit as your last month's rent.

That's probably what I will do as it is the normal situation with most rental agreements. Cheers Seamus

Thank you MorningStar, and have a nice day.

dahooligan wrote:
    = I wanted to know is he allowed to demand a deposit from the other people?
    Still can't do it but again still reasonable and your firends should be rightly pissed off with you.

Still can't do it but again still reasonable and your firends should be rightly pissed off with you.

Seriously, are we just on a point out the obvious mission today?
    Forget it, just forget it. I'm not getting anywhere with this.

I know the facts but it doesn't mean you or him are really smart or quick witted people. Shouting at me just shows your inability to communicate.
    Well I am fairly certain that my stating the facts does not mean that we are not smart or quick witted people...... although I appreciate the randomness of that comment.

Shouting? No!
    Typing in caps to enphasise a point? Yes!

My apologies for any confusion caused.

dahooligan wrote:
    Seriously, are we just on a point out the obvious mission today?
    Forget it, just forget it. I'm not getting anywhere with this.

Well you don't seem to know the obvious so grow up accept you messed up and grovel to your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 old_lady

Well you don't seem to know the obvious so grow up accept you messed up and grovel to your friends.

Excuse me for butting in MorningStar, but it would appear that it is you who needs to do a bit of growing up.
    Hurling random personal insults at posters is not helping anyone, and it is certainly not productive.

old_lady wrote:
    Excuse me for butting in MorningStar, but it would appear that it is you who needs to do a bit of growing up.
    Hurling random personal insults at posters is not helping anyone, and it is certainly not productive.

Your not excused so mind your own business. He's old enough to be able to handle this and you insulting me doesn't make any differnce to me you hypocrite This is not an insult but an observation on what you have said directly to me so it's not random either.

Your not excused so mind your own business. He's old enough to be able to handle this and you insulting me doesn't make any differnce to me you hypocrite This is not an insult but an observation on what you have said directly to me so it's not random either.

Someone call mensa, we got ourselves a genius on the boards!!!:D :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Manners people.:eek:

...so mind your own business..
    This is a message board, people are expected to reply to posts. If you want to carry on a personal conversation, then take it somewhere else.

The OP is looking for advice - can we get back to the topic.

Your landlord has reason to be worried since you were late in the past, what you havent explained is whether or not you are all paying him seperately or whether he takes payment from one person. Do you all have the 1 lease in which case I thought that one person pays the landlord to make it easier on him.....does it not work that way?

If you all have seperate agreements with him, why is he penalising the others.

Nice, well I'm glad that this has broken down into a free for all. Is there any way of taking this thread off line?

Details are scetchy as I've never actually met the landlord and I have not received any receipts despite having requested them. As far as I can make out the lease is held by one person, and we pay individually into the landlord's bank account. However the landlord is aware that I am the new one into the house and that I have been the 'problematic issue', thats why I'm having difficulty in understanding why he wants it off all of us. I will ofcourse try to resolve it on a professional level by meeting with the landlord and offering my apologies and an envelope with added deposit.. this just seems to be going in circles.

All I wanted to know was whether he was allowed to demand added deposits from all parties and if anyone else had been in that situation. Thank you for your words though Homeowner

dahooligan wrote:
    Nice, well I'm glad that this has broken down into a free for all.

:D Reminds me of one of those punch ups in batman actually ..

"POW"
    "BOP"
    "YARRRGH".

You could ask a mod to lock the thread.

bubby wrote:
    :D Reminds me of one of those punch ups in batman actually ..

"POW"
    "BOP"
    "YARRRGH".

You could ask a mod to lock the thread.

Except I am Lucifier Morningstar a damn sight more powerful than a rich kid like Bruce Wayne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Every Friday......almost without fail, theres a fight just for the hell of it. Last week it was in feedback, the week before in Rec I think.
    I love Fridays!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chill out folks. Thats an order.

dahooligan, you have two choices (a) risk the landlord giving you notice to quit (b) pay him the extra deposit.

Depending on the circumstances of the lease - are you renting together or separately, it might or might not be fair for the landlord to ask for the deposit to be a group or individual thing. It is usual for the deposit to be the same as a months rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

dahooligan wrote:
    As far as I can make out the lease is held by one person, and we pay individually into the landlord's bank account. However the landlord is aware that I am the new one into the house and that I have been the 'problematic issue', thats why I'm having difficulty in understanding why he wants it off all of us.

I have never come across this in the time that I rented. The person who signed the contract paid the rent. All others in the house paid that person. Deposits went back to the person on the lease and the new person paid to the last person that left etc.... This made things easier on the landlord (maybe things are less strict now....or maybe my experience was unusual).

I agree that it seems strange for the landlord to penalise everyone since I assume that since you are new, the others have a built up a relationship with landlord and have been on time with payments. I would be reluctant to be dealing with the landlord directly if I was not on the lease, you seem to have a formal paying arrangement without the formalities of the lease. He can turn around and kick you out as you have no contract with him, that leaves you in a vulerable position imo.

Advertisement