Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openworld to wipe DSL installation charges..

Options
  • 20-09-2001 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

ohh sigh....

Taken from Digital Spy.
    BT Openworld are cutting the install charge to £75 for people ordering ADSL from them for three months, from October 1st onwards. This reflects the cut made by BTwholesale/BTignite, who actually do the install work for all ISPs, reported here.

They join Nildram, Pipex, Zen, Plusnet and others in offering the price cut to consumers. Despite this, competition is hotting up in the ADSL marketplace as many ISPs have recently reduced their monthly fees, reflecting a cut on what BTwholesale charges them - whereas BT Openworld have not. BT Openworld still remain the cheapest, but the gap is narrowing, and if you are looking for a static IP address and (dare I say it) a better quality of service, then the picture is certainly a lot more equitable now compared to six months ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If england didnt have so many english, i might consider going there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

i caught a minute of watchdog or whatever its called and it had something about bts anytime which is a flaterate of sorts i think being changed and 35000 people who were molesting it(a la esat) being put on a different service. I got called out but i imagine they were going to be asked for more money :). my point is if their droping one price to raise it another smacks of eirconning people?
    and you dotn need to go to england just get some welsh valley girl or scotish tart(an)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    If england didnt have so many english, i might consider going there.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Makes sense - if you tie people into a 3 or 12 month contract, pointless screwing them for installation as well. If people want freedom to dump their provider and go somewhere else at the drop of a hat, paying more for the installation (call it a "payment for freedom" deal) is reasonable.

Having a long-term contract as mandatory and also making people pay a whack for installation (don't forget - it means you won't get the benefit as prices drop) isn't really that fair.

Anyone got more info on Chorus' "no you can't install it yourself" package - is the 3gig limit going to go up to 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

There is an article about today's price reduction by BT at:

http://www.silicon.com/a47490

It's still more expensive than cable though. Note well that £74.95 sterling is inclusive of VAT, and also includes the modem. Eircom, on the other hand, charges about IR£200 for the modem, and another IR£100 for installation, which ends up at almost IR£300 punts ex. VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Anyone got more info on Chorus' "no you can't install it yourself" package
    Yeah tell them to get knotted.

Installation Procedure
    1. Buy 10Mbit NIC any flavour you like
    2. Disconnect power, lift bonnet, install NIC in available slot
    3. Power up PC let windows detect and install NIC
    4. This applies to Win2k Click Start Settings Network and Dial up
    and you should see Local area connection right click,choose properties Under General you should see

Connect using (your NIC 3Com blah blah)
    Components checked are used by this connection
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP click Properties Check Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Thats it
    Right click IE icon Properties Connections check Never dial a connection Click LAN Settings check Automatically detect settings
    and you are good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

the equipment for chorus is prett standard Wireless stuff.
    their software is pretty basic, its pretty much p2p and the 2'nd "p" being the chorus network.

i know that bkehoe has done p2p with wireless stuff and a friend of his in kilkenny, so ask him where he got his transmitter dish and modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steveconrad

Hmmm, I had assumed that the Chorus installation charge was also for sticking whatever type of gizmo needs to go on your outside wall/roof/chimbley to receive and send the signal and not just for fiddling with the computer which may well, as my iMac does, already have an ethernet connection.

I know I could set up whatever software settings are required with my eyes closed but would I be up to alinging a receiver/transmitter with Three Rock Mountain at the top of a ladder?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Sorry!
    Chorus supply and fit the Transceiver on the roof, drill hole in wall and install cable, supply and tune Hybrid modem, and supply Cat5 crossover cable which you connect to aforementioned NIC. They also supply a programme called CCMinfo which is a piece of s**t to check modem status

Advertisement